News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Trendy Words I Do Not Like

Started by Cheerful, September 09, 2020, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

histchick

Quote from: Treehugger on October 06, 2020, 06:13:16 AM
Not trendy, but just an incorrect word choice that has annoyed me recently and that I just read in the NYTimes:

QuoteThe President is charging into unchartered territory.

Nope. "Uncharted," not "unchartered." Into an unmapped territory, not into a territory without a constitution, although ... hmmm..... now that I think about it, maybe that was some kind of Freudian slip on the part of the NYTimes.

The folks on CNN were saying "unchartered" as well.  I adore Dr. Sanjay Gupta, but I was yelling at him last night.  "IT'S FREAKING 'UNCHARTED' TERRITORY!"

ciao_yall

Since this thread is heading toward misused words...

It's "spit and image" or "spit 'n image."

Not "spitting image." Images don't spit. For Pete's sake.

little bongo

I don't think that one originally had to do with spit--I seem to remember that particular phrase as originally a regionalism for "spirit and image." So once we get to "spitting image" (which gets used pretty frequently), we're just xeroxing a xerox, so to speak.

Hibush

Quote from: histchick on October 06, 2020, 07:49:42 AM
Quote from: Treehugger on October 06, 2020, 06:13:16 AM
Not trendy, but just an incorrect word choice that has annoyed me recently and that I just read in the NYTimes:

QuoteThe President is charging into unchartered territory.

Nope. "Uncharted," not "unchartered." Into an unmapped territory, not into a territory without a constitution, although ... hmmm..... now that I think about it, maybe that was some kind of Freudian slip on the part of the NYTimes.

The folks on CNN were saying "unchartered" as well.  I adore Dr. Sanjay Gupta, but I was yelling at him last night.  "IT'S FREAKING 'UNCHARTED' TERRITORY!"

Does the NY Times and CNN have joined in the attack on the Constitution? Strange bedfellows in this conspiracy!

ergative

"Moreish". Used with food that tastes so good you want more. I only see it in UK publications, and I hate it.

FishProf

I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Hibush

Department of Literatures In English

If your literature faculty are so divisive they can't unify around literature, and their effort to throw off the yokes of the grammarians' hegemony succeeds. Not to mention the Communications people who are so far removed from the Ivory Tower that they consider the reader's interpretation of what you write.

The comments in the link are informative, BTW.

Cheerful

Langue_doc

On Canvas, deliverables as a synonym for assignments.

dismalist

This one has bugged me for years, and I still don't quite know what to make of it:

Competitive

I used to be asked occasionally "Is your program competitive?" That could have meant we took very few applicants. Or, it could mean we took many, but were so good that we easily competed with, well, competing programs.

I understand when a sport is competitive. Thus, in analogy, elections are competitive. But I just read somewhere "If you're in a competitive district in a competitive election, the chances that your vote will flip a national election ... [are some small number]".

Does "competitive" mean "easily changeable" or some such? Or is it just ambiguous or vague or merely multivalenced?

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Hibush

Quote from: dismalist on October 30, 2020, 05:26:56 PM
This one has bugged me for years, and I still don't quite know what to make of it:

Competitive

I used to be asked occasionally "Is your program competitive?" That could have meant we took very few applicants. Or, it could mean we took many, but were so good that we easily competed with, well, competing programs.

I understand when a sport is competitive. Thus, in analogy, elections are competitive. But I just read somewhere "If you're in a competitive district in a competitive election, the chances that your vote will flip a national election ... [are some small number]".

Does "competitive" mean "easily changeable" or some such? Or is it just ambiguous or vague or merely multivalenced?

As opposed to "recreational"?    A competitive college program might be one in which the students compete with one another (rather than cooperating).

marshwiggle

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 30, 2020, 07:23:02 PM
Polarized (as in: discourse).

From  a physics/chemistry point of view, "polarized" seems to describe being directly opposed, i.e. the antithesis of "cooperative" or "collaborative" where people look for common ground.

I've been trying to think of alternatives.
disrespectful?
confrontational?
inflammatory?

None of these work as well, in my opinion.
It takes so little to be above average.

dismalist

Quote from: marshwiggle on October 31, 2020, 01:49:30 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 30, 2020, 07:23:02 PM
Polarized (as in: discourse).

From  a physics/chemistry point of view, "polarized" seems to describe being directly opposed, i.e. the antithesis of "cooperative" or "collaborative" where people look for common ground.

I've been trying to think of alternatives.
disrespectful?
confrontational?
inflammatory?

None of these work as well, in my opinion.

divided sounds better to me.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mahagonny

Majorly
Wholesale
'I can't buy into the argument wholesale.'  (Well, at least the metaphor is maintained.)