News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Trendy Words I Do Not Like

Started by Cheerful, September 09, 2020, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerseyjay

Since March, I have come to loath "social distancing" as a phrase, not as a practice. I do not dispute the science of preventing the spread of communicable diseases by telling people not to closely associate with other people. But that is not really "social distance" but physical distance, or just distance.

Today I went to several establishments that had signs that said something like: Be safe and socially distance. Keep six feet away. Honestly, I often socially distanced myself before Covid, even when I was in a crowd.

It is possible to be socially distant and still be within six feet of somebody, and it is possible to be a thousand miles away and still not be socially distant. It would seem that, as a matter of public mental health, it would be advisable to tell people that they should NOT socially distance themselves, even when it becomes necessary to not come into close proximity to other people.

Before March, references I saw to "social distance" referred to either social psychology or linguistics. Racial prejudice or segregation is a way to keep social distance, even while keeping physical proximity. Or, if I wish to socially distance myself from somebody, I may use the formal third person instead of the familiar second person.

(Ironically, what we are being asked to do to help prevent disease is to segregate ourselves. However, given the history of the United States, "segregation" has connotations that make it unusable. So we use "socially distance" to replace to "segregation," just as in the past, we used "segregation" to replace "socially distance." In the process, we erase the distinction between segregation--keeping physically separate--and socially distance--keeping socially distant--thus confusing things even more.)

Obviously, the dangers of Covid extend far beyond this, but still I find it bothersome.

mahagonny

Morris Zapp

Regular words:  Loathe "feeling snacky"

Intellectual words:  Not big on 'imbricate'

mahagonny

'rock star'

A disappointing term of praise, it is used to describe super achievers in almost any arena who turning out to be more admirable by far than most rock stars.

apl68

Quote from: mahagonny on November 03, 2020, 05:35:09 AM
karen

I have very, very deep feelings any time I see that one.  I've mentioned elsewhere here that a friend and staff member of mine, named Karen, was murdered several years ago, in her own home, by two Black youths.  As there was nothing of value for them to steal, and she and the granddaughter they shot and left for dead were the only white household in the neighborhood, it's pretty evident that it was a hate crime.  But has never been recognized as such.  Given how this Karen's life on Earth ended, I've never seen a more savage irony than the way the name has come to be used.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

marshwiggle

Quote from: apl68 on November 04, 2020, 10:26:25 AM
karen

I have very, very deep feelings any time I see that one.  I've mentioned elsewhere here that a friend and staff member of mine, named Karen, was murdered several years ago, in her own home, by two Black youths.  As there was nothing of value for them to steal, and she and the granddaughter they shot and left for dead were the only white household in the neighborhood, it's pretty evident that it was a hate crime.  But has never been recognized as such.  Given how this Karen's life on Earth ended, I've never seen a more savage irony than the way the name has come to be used.

And white progressives will never, ever recognize it as such. Sadly.

It takes so little to be above average.

mahagonny

Quote from: apl68 on November 04, 2020, 10:26:25 AM
karen

What a terrible story. Sorry.

Even without knowing that, it's clear that 'karen' is an intentional way to foment hatred. They say 'think about this white privilege woman who throws her weight around because she can and let's give her a name because then it will be more fun to indulge our hate.'.Wait...they're not done. Have you heard this yet? They give her a blond full head of hair clipped in a certain way which is designated as the "let me speak to the manager" haircut.' The more specifics about the person, the more realistic and vivid the hate. Meanwhile 'white privilege' has been defined as something that we often don't know we have, so that would mean that while the behavior is considered unendearingly haughty, it's not really deliberately so, but you still get to attribute the motive. Why is this fair? Because...of course...we once had slavery.
The end of the Golden Rule.
These are the kind of progressives who bring out my diabolical side, make me feel like I would probably prefer President Biden, but I would like President Trump for them, because they deserve him.

Identity politics was a big loser this time: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/editorials/the-biggest-loser-of-election-2020-identity-politics

Aside: one of my buddies as work is a black lady named Karen...(!) What do we do now?

Quoteit's pretty evident that it was a hate crime.  But has never been recognized as such.  Given how this Karen's life on Earth ended, I've never seen a more savage irony than the way the name has come to be used.

And white progressives will never, ever recognize it as such. Sadly

But thank God, we got rid of that toxic Aunt Jemima.

bopper

Ask as a noun
The ask here is that they tell us how they are using the system.

dismalist

Does it "scale"?

No, I've already scaled my fish.

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Hibush

Quote from: dismalist on November 11, 2020, 08:24:10 PM
Does it "scale"?

If you are in R&D, being able to scale up a prototype to commercial use is so common a concern, that "Does it scale?" is shorthand for an obligatory checkbox on almost everything.

dismalist

Quote from: Hibush on November 12, 2020, 02:04:57 PM
Quote from: dismalist on November 11, 2020, 08:24:10 PM
Does it "scale"?

If you are in R&D, being able to scale up a prototype to commercial use is so common a concern, that "Does it scale?" is shorthand for an obligatory checkbox on almost everything.

My problem with the use of the term, bastardized with lack of comprehension from Economics, is that things always scale! The meaningful question is: At what cost?
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mahagonny

1. womxn

Fortunately, there is auto spell correct. 'Womxn' reverts to 'women.'  Wikipedia says

"The term womxn (/ˈwʊmɪn/) is an alternative spelling of the English word woman. It is used, particularly by intersectional feminists, to avoid perceived sexism in the standard spelling[1] and to explicitly include or foreground transgender and nonbinary people.[2][3][4] Womxn was first used after 2010 and has since been adopted by various organizations, including university groups in the US and UK.[2][5][6] The term has been praised as being more inclusive than women and other terms (such as womyn). Conversely, it has been criticized as being unnecessary, confusing, or conflicting with the uncommonness of mxn to describe men.[7][8][4]"

I think instead of being annoyed I'm just going to start looking at this stuff as entertainment.

2. uplifting as a verb. 'Our organization has been uplifting marginalized groups from the community.'

Hibush

Quote from: mahagonny on November 16, 2020, 07:38:39 AM

2. uplifting as a verb. 'Our organization has been uplifting marginalized groups from the community.'

I like the imagery of a more standard construction:

"Our organization has been lifting marginalized groups up from the community."

Presumably, the organization overlooks the community.

FKM100

'Journey' to describe almost any kind of experience.

apl68

Quote from: FKM100 on November 20, 2020, 04:41:26 AM
'Journey' to describe almost any kind of experience.

A prime example of a powerful metaphor that gets trivialized through haphazard use.

If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.