News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Trendy Words I Do Not Like

Started by Cheerful, September 09, 2020, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

I'm starting to get a little tired of "intentional," as used in sentences like "We must be intentional in our efforts to accomplish [thing that is really important], or "Be intentional in your reading."
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

Tee_Bee

I am rather surprised that the word actionable hasn't turned up yet. I despise the use of this term to describe a thing that one can do.  I once asked, after someone deployed this execrable example of MBA-speak, why one would want to develop a list of things to, as one online dictionary puts it, "[give] sufficient reason to take legal action." Yes, I see that the dictionary, in the best tradition of descriptive rather than prescriptive dictionaries, has provided the "able to be done" definition as well. Still, I'd rather hear fingernails on a chalkboard (google it if you're under 30) than hear this legal jargon tossed about by associate vice whatevers.

Vkw10

More expeditiously. This one may be a local trend, but I have recent emails from three people using it instead of "soon" or "by X".
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

ab_grp

I have seen the word "delighted" used way too many times recently.  Is this a thing now? Everyone seems to be so delighted all the time.  Delighted to tell you about a new hire, delighted to let you know that a new book has come out, etc. 

mahagonny

Quote from: ab_grp on November 22, 2020, 07:55:33 AM
I have seen the word "delighted" used way too many times recently.  Is this a thing now? Everyone seems to be so delighted all the time.  Delighted to tell you about a new hire, delighted to let you know that a new book has come out, etc.

Delighted that you have pointed this out to us.

ab_grp

Quote from: mahagonny on November 22, 2020, 09:00:06 AM
Quote from: ab_grp on November 22, 2020, 07:55:33 AM

Delighted that you have pointed this out to us.

I'm delighted to have been of service.

ciao_yall

Yeah, what is it with "delighted?" Our Chancellor announced he was "delighted" that the Board passed a multi-year plan which included massive budget cuts to "stabilize" the college. Is he so "delighted" with the management team that messed up so badly we had to do these cuts in the first place?

marshwiggle

Quote from: ciao_yall on November 22, 2020, 12:04:04 PM
Yeah, what is it with "delighted?"

On another thread, there's a discussion of the overuse of "outraged". The two are a symptom of what out society has become; all the emotional intensity, all the time. Every issue must be black and white, and every good and rational person must see it exactly the same way.

It takes so little to be above average.

ab_grp

Quote from: ciao_yall on November 22, 2020, 12:04:04 PM
Yeah, what is it with "delighted?" Our Chancellor announced he was "delighted" that the Board passed a multi-year plan which included massive budget cuts to "stabilize" the college. Is he so "delighted" with the management team that messed up so badly we had to do these cuts in the first place?

Or delighted to announce that a reorganization has taken place! Never mind the extensive "difficult staffing decisions" that were made as part of the restructuring.  Luckily, none of the delighted higher ups were affected.  And, the organization is now much more agile! It's delightful.

jimbogumbo

Harlow2

I had hoped we had seen the last of it, but people and institutions seem to be pivoting again. Not sure if it is the harsh winter winds, the impending winter solstice, or something else causing things to begin turning.

histchick

"Misdirection" and "disinformation"

Let's just call them "lies" and be done with it. 

mamselle

Well, in writing mysteries, "misdirection" is a thing--the writer does a sort of sleight-of-hand emphasis that draws your attention away from that tasty clue they had to plant in the middle of everything for continuity's sake, later.

But otherwise, yeah, it's just a porkie.

M. 
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

AJ_Katz

dismalist

To "call out".

How about "to criticize"?

Another defining down of meaning?
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli