News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The best predatorial journal come-ons

Started by Scout, June 14, 2019, 04:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

I just got this one recently.  It's not too bad, and I am not sure if it's actually a predatory journal (can't find too much on it), but on rereading I thought there were some interesting parts (underlined).  Some may just be language issues.  Seems like a lot of journals to publish! It's great that it's so easy for them to find more than three peer reviewers for any given paper.  And, there are opportunities on the website to join as not just a reviewer, or even an editorial member, but an editor-in-chief.  Could be a path to success.  Yes, this is sarcasm.

Hmm.  After preparing this post, I decided to look up whether the publisher itself (Science Publishing Group) is considered predatory.  Apparently, it is.  Beall published a 2018 comment with a whole section on it, calling a "particularly egregious predatory publisher".  It is listed as being located in NYC but is actually in Pakistan, apparently.

--------------------------------------------

Dear [me]; [coauthor],

We are honored to have the opportunity to read your paper "[Really awesome paper]". We feel that American Journal of Applied Scientific Research matches with your research field. Our Board of Editorial Members are privileged to invite you to contribute your precious unpublished research articles to our journal for publication.

Rapid Publication

Efficient Publication Service: We can publish your paper online within 1-2 months since the submission date.

Quickly Feedback: Our fundamental principle is timely feedback about each and every submission, and we will provide prompt replies for every question asked by our authors.

Experienced Reviewers: Every submitted article will be carefully reviewed by more than 3 peer reviewers from all over the world. Authors will receive various constructive advices from our Professional Reviewers to assist them in further improvement of their papers.

§  Check the requirements for manuscript and download Manuscript Template at: http://www.ajasr.org/submission

§  Get your article prepared under the instruction of the template.

§  Register and upload your paper via online submission system.

How to Contribute your Paper [I think this was supposed to be the title of the previous section?]

Selected Journal List

We have 300+ journals including almost all fields like Processing, Biomedicine, Sports Science, Environmental Policy, Pure Mathematics, Technology Management, Traffic, Management Science, Philosophy, Systems Engineering, etc.

Any interest about the journals, please see more at: http://www.ajasr.org/journals

International Journal of Materials Science and Applications

Engineering and Applied Sciences

International Journal of Science and Qualitative Analysis

International Journal of Applied Agricultural Sciences

American Journal of Science, Engineering and Technology

We selected some contents from your paper:
[abstract from our paper]

Regards,

[possibly fake person who does not show up via Google search]

The Editorial Office of American Journal of Applied Scientific Research

science.expat

Not from a journal but I don't know where else to share an email I just received.

Hello,

I am interested to apply to your University for a Professor position.
May I ask you to provide me with an email address for your human
resources officer as well as the Dean of faculty/academic director who
are in charge of the faculty recruitment process? Thank you very much
for your support indeed.

Best regards

(Redacted)

WTF?

aside

Quote from: science.expat on September 12, 2019, 03:31:09 PM
Not from a journal but I don't know where else to share an email I just received.

Hello,

for your support indeed.

Best regards

(Redacted)

WTF?

I got this also.  He is casting a wide net.

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: aside on September 13, 2019, 04:47:16 AM
Quote from: science.expat on September 12, 2019, 03:31:09 PM

Hello,

for your support indeed.

Best regards

(Redacted)

WTF?

I got this also.  He is casting a wide net.

Either an extremely clueless person OR the start of something nefarious.  My response would normally be to delete it immediately.  Now that I know it's going around, I'd probably report it to the appropriate IT area.

science.expat

littleapple

I just got this one in my spam folder, but I'm glad I read it - I'm hoping that I will have such a "positive day"

--------------------

Dear Dr. [littleapple],

I hope your day is as positive as you are.

We are in deficit of articles for fruitful release of Inaugural Issue. Is it possible for you to support us with your Opinion or Mini Review article for this issue?

We request you to submit your article directly to this email id.

If you are interested to join as an editorial board member in our journal, please send your CV, short bio and Research interest to this mail id.

I believe in you that your one article brings out the best achievement to our Journal.

Await your optimistic response.

Assistant Manager
Online Journal of Robotics & Automation Technology

Wahoo Redux

This one is pretty boring.  But am I wrong to think that there is an overt imperative tone here?

------------------------

Dear Dr. Redux Wahoo (the bot got my first and last name reversed)

Greeting from SJRR!

We are inviting eminent researchers like you to releasing an upcoming issue in our Scientific Journal of Research & Reviews.

We request you to submit a Review article or case report or short communication of about 400-500 words or more of 1-2 pages.

We request you to submit your article to directly to this Email ID by 25th of September.

Please inform your decision.

Regards,

Alan Moghissi
Scientific Journal of Research & Reviews | (ISSN: 2687-8097)

-------------

Interestingly, there are a couple "Alan Moghissi"s out there in the real world who hold positions of some authority in the scientific community, so at least the bot-lord did a little homework before cluttering my inbox.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

ergative

Terry McGlynn, of Small Pond Science, recently posted a link to a paper surveying why people might publish in these types of journals. It's not terribly scientific (self-reported survey results), but it's still disheartening to see how many people who published still don't think the journals were predatory. Paper here: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/leap.1261

saramago

OK. I swear, swear I got  this. See the bolded part in particular....

Great opportunity to publish your article.
in the top rated journals of Scopus, until the end of 2019,
book a publication at the beginning of 2020.
Now, we have a program called "Co-authorship".
You can become a co-author of an already finished article, which is accepted for publication.
in a journal indexed in Scopus.
We translate the article to English and design the article ourselves.
We guarantee that your article will be published in the journal of Scopus and indexed.

We also have a large number of journals of all directions. We will help you publish your article quickly and monitor indexing to Scopus.

Send articles, ask questions.
We will be happy to answer you.

Yes, I do have questions for you guys.

Thursday's_Child

Although it's nowhere near as good as Saramago's, I just got this...  Yeah, this eminent is always here to support you.

"Dear Researcher,

Greetings!!

We are in shortfall of one article for a successful release of Volume 2, Issue 2. Is it possible for you to support us with your transcript for this issue before 18th November 2019? If this is a short notice please do send 4-5 pages Short Commentary or Mini Review, and hope that a 5 pages article will not take much time for an eminent like you.

Please forward your articles to marinebiology@chembiopublishers.com

We are confident that you will always be there to support us.

Note: Want to become an Editorial Board Member.? Feel free to forward your CV, Biography to this mail.

Best regards,

Nancy Miller
Assistant Managing Editor"

Hegemony

That article Ergative cited includes this line in the abstract: "Fast publication coupled with good feedback and encouragement to submit can make publishing in predatory journals so tempting that few authors can resist."

Few authors can resist?  Meaning that most academic authors publish in predatory journals?  That's just silly (and inaccurate).

EdnaMode

I received this one recently... I'm in engineering and do nothing at all even vaguely related to cancer research. But I guess I could always say I do!

Special Issue: Cancer, Health Care Needs and Cancer Patients' Life Quality
Lead Guest Editor: Gamze Temiz
Affiliation: University of Health Sciences,Turkey

Dear [Dr. Mode and list of co-authors]

Hope that you enjoy your day.

A special issue named Cancer, Health Care Needs and Cancer Patients' Life Quality (removed web link) has been proposed under Cancer Research Journal (removed web link) by the Lead Guest Editor Gamze Temiz in cooperation with 4 other guest editors. It is an open platform for researchers in the same field to spread their research achievements and accomplishments.

They aim at gathering together scholars in the same research area through this special issue to disseminate and share their research accomplishments and experience about Health Care.

As one of the scholars in this field, if you have found new research results or discovered anything new in this field, be sure to convey your ideas, intellect and experiences to more academic peers. Your contribution will have particular value to the scientific community.

Inviting Papers

Novel insights into the topics below along with the research work are warmly welcome.

Topics of interest are (to list a few):
o   Palliative care
o   Hospice care
o   Cancer patient
o   Oncology patient
o   Terminal care
o   Chemotherapeutic drug application

If you want to submit your paper, please complete the submission process before February 20, 2020.

Please contribute your paper through (removed web link)

Any questions, please do not hesitate to let us know.

We are looking forward to receiving your contribution.

Warm wishes,

Sarah Harper
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

secundem_artem

Today's come-on started thusly:

"It's our immerse Pleasure to invite Authors ....... All the NIH supported manuscripts are published immediately in PubMed."  They also promised to throw in a free DOI.

Sheesh.  As if anybody high enough up the food chain to get NIH funding would publish in your craptastic "journal". 
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

zyzzx

My contribution for the day. This is a pretty lazy effort (not even personalized!), but good to know that I am up for great things today!

DearProfessor,

Good morning! You're up for great things today.

Well, we would like to inform you that for this instance, we need One Article to release Volume 4 Issue 2 for the Open Access Journal of Environmental and Soil Sciences (OAJESS).

We request you to submit us your transcript by the 15thof November.

Await your prompt submission.

Margaret Eva

Editorial Manager

Morris Zapp

DH and I have been giggling (and chortling) for awhile over this one:

The subject line was "ASSRAT".  Hubby wants to go to the conference, but only if they sell t-shirts.  And we're envisioning ourselves asking the dept chair for money to go to the ASSRAT conference.

ASSRAT
THE ASSOCIATION OF RESEARCH & ACADEMIC TRAINING

UPCOMING EVENTS
See what's happening this year.

OUR COMMITTEE
Meet our academic staff

PUBLICATION
post conference publication and indexing.

CONFERENCE TOPICS
Tracks and topics.

WELCOME
to the official website of 2019 ASSRAT.

We're here to guide you through your best year yet

ASSRAT aims to bring together researchers, scientists and scholar students to exchange and share their experiences, new ideas, and research results about all aspects of Social Science, Humanities and discuss the practical challenges encountered and the solutions adopted.

Visit Website

RECENT CONFERENCE

CRSH-FEB-2020

International Conference on Cutting-edge Research in Social Sciences, Humanities and Business
February 15-16, 2020
Istanbul, Turkey
Link: https://assrat.org/crsh-02-20/

DRBS-FEB-2020

International Conference on New Dynamics of Research Practices in Social Sciences and Management Sciences
February 22-23, 2020
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Link: https://assrat.org/drbs-02-20/

ASSRAT | [Website] info@assrat.org