News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Cognella Academic Publishing?

Started by Wahoo Redux, August 21, 2019, 02:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

Hi all,

Anyone ever heard of or have experience with Cognella Academic Publishing?

They appear small but legit----probably a publisher which specializes in regional textbooks that professors write for their own classes.

It's hard to find info on them.

Thanks, WR
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

cointegrated

Used to DBA as "University Readers" printing course packs of readings at large and medium sized universities. Has since moved into textbook publishing.
The Beall list lists them as a "sort of vanity press" :https://beallslist.weebly.com/vanity-press.html.

They have been hitting up a lot of people lately for possible textbook authorship, including me. I would be very wary.

Wahoo Redux

Yeah, when I queried over email to the "acquisitions editor" she admitted that they wanted a textbook which I would then sell to my students.  I didn't respond. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Hibush

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on October 15, 2019, 03:04:56 PM
Yeah, when I queried over email to the "acquisitions editor" she admitted that they wanted a textbook which I would then sell to my students.  I didn't respond.
Where is the line between "publisher" and "printer"?

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Hibush on October 15, 2019, 05:13:58 PM

Where is the line between "publisher" and "printer"?

Between the desk and the photocopier.
I know it's a genus.

RatGuy

Seems as if they've been emailing everyone in my department about custom printing for textbooks for the past few terms. I got the same boilerplate email on 5/2, 7/2, 8/15, and 10/10. I just assume it's spam.

Morris Zapp

They paid me to review a manuscript in my field a few years ago.  I told them it was crap but I believe they published it anyway. 
I think they sell their stuff to a lot of the for-profits -- ECPI, that type of thing.