News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Book editor parcel sent to my university for me

Started by adel9216, September 11, 2019, 06:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adel9216

Quick question.

Today, I have received an email from my university services department saying that they have received a parcel for me from a book editor. I don't want to give out the name of the book editor, but they appear to be legit after a Google search. It doesn't seem to be a scam. I am out of town, and will only find out what it entails this Friday. The thing is that I have never ordered anything from them, I have never sent them a manuscript, and did not know they existed before today. Has this ever happened to anyone?

Hegemony

Is it one of those random "Here are some textbooks we want to encourage you to adopt for your courses" package of books?  Many of us get those all the time.  The books are free and there is no obligation.  You just give the books away, donate them to the public library, or (frowned upon seriously by the publishers, but not illicit no matter what they say) sell them to textbook buyers. 

polly_mer

Quote from: Hegemony on September 11, 2019, 11:34:15 PM
Is it one of those random "Here are some textbooks we want to encourage you to adopt for your courses" package of books?  Many of us get those all the time.  The books are free and there is no obligation.  You just give the books away, donate them to the public library, or (frowned upon seriously by the publishers, but not illicit no matter what they say) sell them to textbook buyers.

Agreed.  I never got one of those packages until I was TT, but then I would get several of them around this time every year.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

downer

How would the university services know that the book was from an editor? I guess it is possible, but it's not something people normally write on the package.

Normally the editorial departments and the promotional departments at a publisher are separate. If it is from an editor, then it is unlikely to be a free textbook.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Ruralguy

I suppose it could be a request to review, but then why not just send everything electronically?
Or at least follow on with a email?

Anyway, you'll know tomorrow.

adel9216

So, the parcel is the autobiography of NDP leader Jagmeet Singh. It's election in Canada so it's probably why I received it. But, nobody around me received it as well. There was no explicative note along with the parcel. Strange.