News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Book chapter - in need of a bit of guidance

Started by adel9216, September 22, 2019, 01:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adel9216

Hello everyone,

I don't know if anyone will be able to help me.

in March, I submitted a 500-word proposal for a book chapter. The book is directed by two recognized scholars, and is very much related to my current area of research and expertise. It is not related to my PhD program. (I honestly did not believe I would get selected when I submitted my proposal.) But guess what, I did get selected. I have to write 3000-6000 words essay for December 1st (first draft). I have never done this before and am not sure in what angle I should tackle this. Plus, it will be in English (which is not my mothertongue). I am going to use Grammarly for sure. But does anyone have some resources, articles or videos that could help me to produce this book chapter? The format is an essay. I have some ideas of topics I'd like to cover...but am unsure where to begin and how to start. I am feeling sightly nervous because I honestly did not believe that my proposal would get picked. I have written book chapters before, but they were not "academic" book chapters, they were geared towards the general public.

For info: I am a social science PhD student.

Ruralguy

Maybe this is obvious...but start with the proposal.

Expand on each of the points and see where you end up.

polly_mer

What has your advisor suggested?

Are you doing original research or reporting on original research that you've already done?  It will be very tight to get new research done with your new position.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

adel9216

I did not tell my advisor about this, since this is something that I submitted way wayyyy before I started my PhD and that it is not related to my program of study.

I clarified the audience of the book with the two directors, they said that they want the book to be useful for both activists and researchers. So it's not a chapter with original research, but rather, an essay.

polly_mer

Quote from: adel9216 on September 23, 2019, 08:49:46 PM
I did not tell my advisor about this, since this is something that I submitted way wayyyy before I started my PhD and that it is not related to my program of study.
Talk to your advisor anyway.  If you're publishing as a professional in the field, then your advisor at least deserves a heads-up so the advisor isn't blindsided and can write better recommendations later.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Hegemony

Find some books that are similar to the volume you're participating in.  Look at the kind of essays those volumes have, and study how they're constructed.  What does the first paragraph say?  How does it introduce the themes?  How are the themes explored?  In addition, the editors of the book may have a sample chapter you can look at.  But if not, just imitate the style and construction of essays in similar books.  Scribble all over the margins of those essays (on a photocopy, not a library book, obviously).  "States theme here." "Defines terms here."  Etc.  Then do likewise.

ergative

Quote from: Hegemony on September 23, 2019, 09:50:45 PM
Find some books that are similar to the volume you're participating in.  Look at the kind of essays those volumes have, and study how they're constructed.  What does the first paragraph say?  How does it introduce the themes?  How are the themes explored?  In addition, the editors of the book may have a sample chapter you can look at.  But if not, just imitate the style and construction of essays in similar books.  Scribble all over the margins of those essays (on a photocopy, not a library book, obviously).  "States theme here." "Defines terms here."  Etc.  Then do likewise.

This is the best advice for any kind of writing, not just your book chapter. Find something that does it well, and figure out how it's put together. Then steal their architecture.

Deacon_blues

Quote from: polly_mer on September 23, 2019, 09:02:09 PM
Quote from: adel9216 on September 23, 2019, 08:49:46 PM
Talk to your advisor anyway.  If you're publishing as a professional in the field, then your advisor at least deserves a heads-up so the advisor isn't blindsided and can write better recommendations later.

This is very sage advice.  As an advisor, I want and need to know what my students are up to.  I can't fully do my job as an advisor without being in the loop, and it's important for me to know about major professional developments like publications.

Parasaurolophus

Congratulations! I don't have much to add to the excellent advice you've already been given. Just two additional thoughts:

• Start sooner, rather than later. Don't wait until you've done your reading to get started. Aim to have a full draft done in the next month or month and a half, and then spend your remaining time revising it. You'll have a better idea of what to read once you've started writing, and your end product will benefit from lots of revision (for content and style as well as grammar!), input from your supervisor, etc. And you need to give yourself time for that. Your supervisor, in particular, might take a while to give you comments, if they give you any at all.

• When you have the opportunity to look at others' contributions, do so (this will probably be a while after the Dec. 1 deadline). If you can work some of them into your own, that's great--collections are always stronger, IMO, when participants engage with other work in the collection, or point the reader to another essay in the volume to explore a topic that the current essay doesn't have the space to explore, etc.
I know it's a genus.

adel9216

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful advice! I love this place.

adel9216

I am proud of myself. At first, I did not know how I would be able to do this. But then, I put myself to work, brainstorm, did research and I have been able to write 2300 words out of the 3000/6000 words maximum. There is still work to be done, but I started with the most straightforward sections and it really motivated me to keep moving forward and it help me to strengthen my argument. I'm really happy about this. I should be able to submit a draft by December.

adel9216

Grammarly and Scrivener were also immensely helpful to me.

adel9216

Hit the 3500 words mark today. I've still have things to say, so it's a good thing that I have a 6000 words maximum.

fleabite

Good going! It sounds like you are making the most of the opportunity and are well on the way to a completed article.

adel9216