News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NSERC's new equity/diversity statements

Started by Kron3007, September 25, 2019, 11:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kron3007

First off, as the title states this is an NSERC question so I apologize if this excludes my American (or other) friends and I would still value your input.

I am just putting a grant together under the new NSERC Alliance program and see that equity/diversity statements are required at every turn.  This is new.  The one that seems most perplexing is for the research proposal as my research does not deal with people and I dont see how I could address this, but it says to include a statement of how it has been considered in my research design.  From further reading it seems that they acknowledge that this dosn't really apply to some projects, but it clearly states that it should be included and that it can impact the decisions.  Am I missing something?

In the HQP training sections it is a little easier to see how this can be addressed, but if anyone has some tips on this I would be really interested to hear them.  I fear that what I put down will end up looking like a boiler plate statement.  I plan to support my claims with concrete examples of how I have recruited and accomopdated diverse students etc. based on my recent track record, but I thought it could be helpful to discuss how everyone is approaching this.   

Hibush

I can offer some types that we use in hiring, so not NSERC, but may give you ideas. These are mostly independent of having the research topic relate to equity/diversity.

Enhancing the learning experience in the lab through exposure to new perspectives on cultures, beliefs and practices.  (Do you have international cooperation with other research groups?)

The lab culture addresses barriers to participation in the student educational experience. (Do student researchers learn how to participate fully in the lab, regardless of their prior acculturation?)

Offering research opportunities for individuals historically excluded from disciplines on the basis of their background. (This one addresses exclusion rather than underrepresentation.)

Mentoring junior colleagues to improve opportunities for underrepresented students and junior faculty to succeed in the academy. (Teach your postdocs, close collaborators and grad students how to be more inclusive.)

Engage the public through organizations serving marginalized populations or extending opportunity to disadvantaged people. (Probably done through some kind of outreach programming.)

Kron3007

Thanks for the feedback.  There is actually a first Nations connection for the project so I can definitely use some of what you suggest.  It is a bit indirect, but perhaps I was looking at things too narrowly.