Do Independent Scholars Stand a Chance of Getting Research Grants?

Started by BW55, September 28, 2019, 05:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryc

Quote from: sprezzatura on September 29, 2019, 12:03:12 PM
Discipline(s)-specific to be sure, but on the web page for the NEH research fellowships: "NEH invites research applications from scholars in all disciplines of the humanities, and it encourages submissions from independent scholars and junior scholars."

I was going to mention that last summer I was one of the faculty on an NEH Summer Institute for university faculty, and a certain number of slots were held open for independent scholars.

mamselle

Reviving an earlier thread to keep continuity with its topic.

I'm working on getting more out of my Academia site, and will probably follow up on the email message they sent last month (just before my foot was broken!!) about grant deadlines in the humanities upcoming. (These are with Feb/Mar deadlines; you might not be able to see them without an account):

https://www.academia.edu/grants

I also just sent this message to my last 10 readers (and will send to more: you can only do 10 per day to non-followers) to generate more of an online community for my work:

-=-=-=-=-
Hi, Nnnn!

I've noticed you're checking into my Academia site, and wanted to say I'd be glad to be in touch if you have specific questions I could answer. I'm behind in putting some more recent things up, but hope to get to them, soon!

If you'd like to tell me more about your work, I'd be happy to know about it. If not, that's fine, too.

In any case, good luck, and thanks for your interest!

Best regards--Mmmmm
-=-=-=-=-

I realized I get a few messages that continue for one exchange, then are dropped; I'm thinking of going back and working with those more as well.

Since I now have 2 additional abstracts to post, (*) and a couple new online projects to link to, I need to do some site-spiffing-up sometime this week.

I had 16 readers in the past month, which might not seem like a lot, but I value the connections (which are global) and interest, and decided I want to try to encourage more conversation among us.

So, just if it's encouraging to others, there are tools that can be used in independent scholarship to enhance ones work.

M. 

(*) I only post abstracts, not full papers, unless they're already published; I do post .pdfs of workshop/tour/community presentation handouts after the workshop/tour/presentation.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

AvidReader

I am an independent scholar in the humanities, and have been awarded several library fellowships in the last two years--no grants yet, but I'm still trying! There are several grants that specifically indicate willingness to consider independent scholars, and others that don't seem to require an affiliation.

AR.

mamselle

Yes, I noticed that as well.

I went through with a couple of key word searches and emailed the most pertinent ones to myself to follow up on later.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mamselle

Just FYI, reviving since Academia just posted another group of humanities grants listings:

Have at it!

M.

mamselle

Humanities scholars, not limited to but including digital history researchers, may find this group of offerings of interest:

https://masshist.org/research/fellowships

There are several different categories, themes, and eras represented; some Covid-related restrictions still apply but work is facilitated in various ways.

M.

theteacher

Quote from: BW55 on September 28, 2019, 05:37:52 AM

But the question is: what about research grants? As an "independent scholar", am I doomed there, too?

Will any major research centers around the world even consider funding my third book project if I have no academic job, indeed if I am unemployed?

Please share your thoughts. Thank you very much.

Why don't you co-author grant applications with academics?
Have you tried applying for jobs in the industry? Governments? Non-profit organizations? Many funds are targeted at building bridges between academia, industries, governments, and non-profit organizations.

mamselle

Latest Academia site compilation of grant offerings: 

It's been noted in the past that some are seemingly included whose due-dates are already past, so double-check, I didn't edit the list.

But maybe, someplace...

M.