Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Share your hypochondria here

Started by Thursday's_Child, June 09, 2019, 06:39:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aside

Quote from: mamselle on October 16, 2019, 07:13:18 PM
Quote from: the_geneticist on July 26, 2019, 11:57:31 AM
The bottom of my foot is slightly itchy.  I'm sure it's a horrible, flesh eating infection that will leave me with a stump for a leg.  No way it's just dry skin or a bit of grit in my shoe.

Maybe athlete's foot?

M.

This was in July; the_geneticist may have been consumed entirely by now!

mahagonny

I think that I used to have schizophrenia. Which would mean I still have it, but it's dormant.

Bede the Vulnerable

My parents died when I was quite young, in quick succession.  Both of cancer.

As a result, every symptom of anything that I have ever had is a sign of cancer.  I'm now having terrible back spasms, which I am taking to be a sign of back cancer.  But is that even a thing?
Of making many books there is no end;
And much study is a weariness of the flesh.

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: Bede the Vulnerable on October 17, 2019, 02:34:19 AM
My parents died when I was quite young, in quick succession.  Both of cancer.

As a result, every symptom of anything that I have ever had is a sign of cancer.  I'm now having terrible back spasms, which I am taking to be a sign of back cancer.  But is that even a thing?

No, there's no such thing as back cancer.  The possibilities are FAR worse than that!  You see, the human back is composed of numerous tissue types, all of which could potentially become cancerous.  Thus, your spasms could be from a cancer that is compressing the muscles, from another that is affecting the peripheral nerves, from one actually within the spine that is compressing the spinal cord, from cancerous growths blocking or diverting all blood flow away from the affected muscles, etc., ad infinitum.

I deeply regret being the bearer of bad tidings.  Please accept my most sincere sympathy and my hopes that your most severe sufferings are not prolonged.

downer

Like many other wrinklies, I worry about my memory loss. I know it is normal, and that my memory was probably flawed when I was younger, but I just didn't think about it then. But still, people's names, words for common objects, and the locations of my possessions all escape me with alarming frequency. I wonder how rapidly my memory functions will decline.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mamselle

If you're female, they suddenly falter quite seriously with the onset of menopause. Verbal repetition and writing things you used to remember down a lot can help, but les petites cellules grises are not long for this world after that point.

If you're male, maybe it's dementia. Or Alzheimer's. Or a brain-eating worm has entered your ear while swimming in the ocean and is currently decimating the cortex as an appetizer before it starts in on the frontal lobe as the first course...

M.

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

EdnaMode

My left hip hurts. It's not at all caused by me upping my exercise routine the past month or so. It's bone cancer. I know it is. It's eating away at the bone of my hip and one day soon, I'll get up from my chair to walk and will collapse in a heap because of a completely disintegrated hip joint.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

clean

I guess that my hypochondria was not so far fetched. I was just discharged from the hospital with bilateral pulmonary embolisms.  I did nt expect BiLateral!! 

That is why I long ago stopped asking, 'whats the worst that could happen?'  Im not so good at estimating 'the worst'!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mamselle

Quote from: clean on October 18, 2019, 12:00:00 PM
I guess that my hypochondria was not so far fetched. I was just discharged from the hospital with bilateral pulmonary embolisms.  I did nt expect BiLateral!! 

That is why I long ago stopped asking, 'whats the worst that could happen?'  Im not so good at estimating 'the worst'!

I'm sorry to hear that was the case! Glad you survived (seriously).

I should have thought of that; the calf pain might have been where and when the clot first formed. Very common in late pregnancy, the clot forms there and then goes elsewhere to work havoc.

You aren't pregnant, are you?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

clean

QuoteYou aren't pregnant, are you?
"Id better not be!!", he replies!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

polly_mer

Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

ciao_yall

polly_mer

Quote from: ciao_yall on October 19, 2019, 07:34:45 AM
Quote from: polly_mer on October 19, 2019, 06:35:36 AM
Quote from: clean on October 18, 2019, 06:37:05 PM
QuoteYou aren't pregnant, are you?
"Id better not be!!", he replies!

Ah, Clean.  Have you managed to escape the recent articles asserting the proper term is "pregnant people" to cover the men and non-binary individuals who are pregnant and then the counterarguments?  I envy you that bliss.

And ithe technical term is no longer "women," it's "vagina holders."

I've seen some pushback on that area because one does not have to have a vagina to be a woman nor does possessing a vagina make one a woman.  I hang out in some interesting places on the internet.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

backatit

Quote from: clean on October 18, 2019, 12:00:00 PM

Clean, as another PE surviver (and fellow hypochondriac) I did want to reach out to you and tell you I'm glad you survived. If you ever want to chat PM me. It was a scary time (mine was possibly from flying and I still have to fly a lot, and I found that talking to other people who do that helped a bit).

backatit

And right now I probably have diabetes because I feel just FINE.