Will Trump be able to get a justice to replace RBG before the next inaguaration?

Started by clean, September 18, 2020, 04:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dismalist

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mahagonny

Quote from: dismalist on October 17, 2020, 12:09:58 PM
We could of course have another civil war to settle the issue.

I can see that there could be people willing to go that route. Wars are horrible things but they do gets things settled.

writingprof

No, because, dammit, people from the new "pro-life" country would just pursue abortion tourism in the pro-abortion neighbor.  It's a problem without a solution . . . which is why I'll be banging my head against the wall and voting for stupid Republicans for the next forty years . . . unless I eat myself to death before then, which is the goal.

dismalist

Quote from: writingprof on October 17, 2020, 02:17:40 PM

No, because, dammit, people from the new "pro-life" country would just pursue abortion tourism in the pro-abortion neighbor.  It's a problem without a solution . . . which is why I'll be banging my head against the wall and voting for stupid Republicans for the next forty years . . . unless I eat myself to death before then, which is the goal.

Yes, of course. That's one of the beauties of the federalism solution -- people can follow their own God at a non prohibitive cost.

[By the way, it was not thus before the Civil War. Free states were obliged to return escaped slaves to their owners in slave states.]

Current situation and structure or Federalism or Civil War. Everybody take one's pick.

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

writingprof

Quote from: dismalist on October 17, 2020, 03:00:30 PM

Yes, of course. That's one of the beauties of the federalism solution -- people can follow their own God at a non prohibitive cost.

[By the way, it was not thus before the Civil War. Free states were obliged to return escaped slaves to their owners in slave states.]

Current situation and structure or Federalism or Civil War. Everybody take one's pick.

Ah, federalism. Beloved by Democrats whenever a Republican is in the White House. Hated at other times. Let's see how much you still love federalism when my red state is resisting Biden initiatives.

dismalist

Quote from: writingprof on October 17, 2020, 03:49:54 PM

Ah, federalism. Beloved by Democrats whenever a Republican is in the White House. Hated at other times. Let's see how much you still love federalism when my red state is resisting Biden initiatives.

Beloved by me, for all seasons.

[Of course, no worries, there are only four of us. I think I have two of the others' fax numbers.]
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

jimbogumbo

Quote from: writingprof on October 17, 2020, 03:49:54 PM

I'd say there are plenty of contradictions on both sides. R's haven't exactly flocked to embrace Federalism anytime California enacts something they don't like in state law.

dismalist

QuoteR's haven't exactly flocked to embrace Federalism anytime California enacts something they don't like in state law.

It's not about liking; it's about doing. If a State doesn't like Law Z passed in California, it doesn't have to pass Law Z, and it doesn't.

Everything else is commentary.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

jimbogumbo

Quote from: dismalist on October 17, 2020, 04:10:32 PM
QuoteR's haven't exactly flocked to embrace Federalism anytime California enacts something they don't like in state law.

It's not about liking; it's about doing. If a State doesn't like Law Z passed in California, it doesn't have to pass Law Z, and it doesn't.

Well, I know that. I don't think my President does though.

dismalist

QuoteWell, I know that. I don't think my President does though.

And I never liked Juan Peron.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

writingprof

Quote from: dismalist on October 17, 2020, 04:10:32 PM

This is true.  However, a rather anti-federalist trend in recent years has been district court judges creating nationwide injunctions.  Happily, I suspect that the Amy Coney Barrett Court will put a stop to that nonsense right soon.

mamselle

If wars got things settled, we would have neither the splits over economic/lifestyle models as virtue-signaling, nor over racism, as polarizing the country right now.

You wouldn't  even have a basis for suggesting something as horrible as civil war so jovially, in fact, if that were the case.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

dismalist

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli