Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Fresh-squeezed lemonade is so tasty.

Tonight, we had:

Main course = homemade mac & cheese + peas

Beverage = iced tea

Dessert = brownies

mamselle

Do I detect a brownie sub-theme on this thread?

Maybe another is lemonade? (Pity the poor lemons...)

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Well, I made a brownie mix and I'm trying to stretch it out for four days... which is difficult considering the people who live here.

dismalist

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 06, 2020, 04:39:34 PM
Quote from: dismalist on May 06, 2020, 03:34:59 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 02, 2020, 03:27:13 PM
Dinner tonight is beef stew, maybe with some kind of homemade bread. It's been simmering in the crock pot since about 1pm. I made extra to freeze for later. :)

Envy, envy, envy! Maybe I can pull this off after the weekend. Mrs. Dismalist promised to help, so that the meal might have some flavor, but she was unable to completely suppress her mirth. :-)

I'd send you some, but...
I made four meals worth. We had one last Saturday and the other three are in the freezer to be consumed later. Crock pots are awesome! I've had this one since college!!! Beef stew is very forgiving. Simmer long and low for tender meat. Season using oregano, couple tablespoons of tomato paste, garlic, onion, cracked black pepper, Worcestershire sauce & salt. You could also add thyme, rosemary, etc. Lots of good recipes online.

Well, I made this today, also four portions, half to freeze. Used your ingredients up to the word "salt". Got instructions on-line. Squisito!
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

OneMoreYear

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 12, 2020, 07:41:12 PM
Dessert = Dark chocolate brownies (from a mix, but reeeaaaalllllyy good).

What brand is this magical brownie mix?

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: OneMoreYear on May 14, 2020, 01:12:15 PM

Dark chocolate Ghiradelli.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: dismalist on May 14, 2020, 01:08:24 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 06, 2020, 04:39:34 PM
Quote from: dismalist on May 06, 2020, 03:34:59 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 02, 2020, 03:27:13 PM
Dinner tonight is beef stew, maybe with some kind of homemade bread. It's been simmering in the crock pot since about 1pm. I made extra to freeze for later. :)

Envy, envy, envy! Maybe I can pull this off after the weekend. Mrs. Dismalist promised to help, so that the meal might have some flavor, but she was unable to completely suppress her mirth. :-)

I'd send you some, but...
I made four meals worth. We had one last Saturday and the other three are in the freezer to be consumed later. Crock pots are awesome! I've had this one since college!!! Beef stew is very forgiving. Simmer long and low for tender meat. Season using oregano, couple tablespoons of tomato paste, garlic, onion, cracked black pepper, Worcestershire sauce & salt. You could also add thyme, rosemary, etc. Lots of good recipes online.

Well, I made this today, also four portions, half to freeze. Used your ingredients up to the word "salt". Got instructions on-line. Squisito!

I bet it was good!

evil_physics_witchcraft

Main course = beef stew with peas on the side.

Beverage = iced green ginger tea (2nd glass after the 1st one spilled on the floor because the cat ran past me)

Dessert = brownies

mamselle

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 14, 2020, 05:52:31 PM
Quote from: OneMoreYear on May 14, 2020, 01:12:15 PM

Dark chocolate Ghiradelli.

Of course.

They also have two dark dark chocolate chips out now.....

<<swoooon>>

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

The last of the roast and potato leftovers.  It's been good...but I'm ready now to move on.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Vkw10

Salmon croquettes, mixed greens, beets, and lemon tarts, with ice water. I love having the teenage nephew home for many reasons, not just because he enjoys cooking.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

evil_physics_witchcraft

Main course = chicken nachos

Beverage = iced green tea

Dessert = brownies

dismalist

Mrs. and Miss Dismalist are home, so we're having real food: Shrimp, bacon, onion, and green and red stuff, on skewers, marinated in Ken's vinaigrette.  I'm doing the broiling, as my hands are most dispensable. Great food; we've made it before, but not recently or frequently.

[Mrs. Dismalist tasted my beef stew. She was not put off. :-)]
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: dismalist on May 15, 2020, 05:08:37 PM
Mrs. and Miss Dismalist are home, so we're having real food: Shrimp, bacon, onion, and green and red stuff, on skewers, marinated in Ken's vinaigrette.  I'm doing the broiling, as my hands are most dispensable. Great food; we've made it before, but not recently or frequently.

[Mrs. Dismalist tasted my beef stew. She was not put off. :-)]

That sounds great! Yum!

mamselle

These were going to be "a little something before dinner;" which was going to be a chicken pot pie (that took awhile to cook).

I made 8...enough to save half for the next day.

But...first I ate 2.

Then I ate 2 more.

Then I thought, "alright, I can just save the last two...." so I ate two more...

Then I ate the last two, as well....by which time I wasn't hungry anymore.

So I took the chicken pot pie out of the oven, ate just a bite, because it's really good hot--and put it in the fridge for tomorrow.

What I made (I put the recipe on the old forum, but I don't think here) were"Papillons" (Fr. for "butterfly")...

Take a medium croissant and cut it in half, or a large one and cut into thirds.
  Split open, and put a dollop of bernaise-like sauce *(below) on each half.
  Put any combination of leafy vegetables (say, spinach or arugula) down first
  Then put, say, 1/2 slice of cooked bacon and some cheddar cheese on top....or some deli-sliced turkey and a bit of
     swiss cheese on top....or some deli ham and chevre,  or....if you're a veg/vegan, use a thin-sliced mushroom with
     a rectangle of some colors of bell pepper, or...anything you have.   
  You can also top with some small green vegetable (like half or a quarter of artichoke hearts, a few small broccoli pieces,
    half of a Brussels sprout, three capers, etc.)
  Put in the toaster oven at c. 350 for 20 min. to melt the cheese and heat up the sauce, which gets really goood when warm....

Eat hot: they're OK when they've cooled down, but the flavors blend best when hot.
(I don't know if they actually re-heat well because I never have any left when I take them places...or, clearly, make them at home...ahem)

*Bernaise-like sauce/salad dressing/sandwich spread/etc. :
   Mix mayo, a bit of honey mustard, or some good strong mustard and some honey, and whip together first
   Add hand-rubbed black pepper (releases the oils, makes it more piquant), basil, Herbes de Provence, and stir it all up.
   If it's very stiff, a bit of milk or water will thin it (makes a good salad dressing that way, too).
   I usually have a small lidded container of it in the 'fridge all the time.

Dessert was two cookies and hot tea. (I'm making brownies from scratch tomorrow--I was too tired from teaching all day to do it this evening!)

M.