News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Gardeners: how's it looking?

Started by polly_mer, June 12, 2019, 06:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: spork on October 19, 2020, 06:08:39 AM
I've put one chili plant and two basil plants in pots as preparation for bringing them inside over the winter. The leaves on the basil plants are tiny and yellowy. I've heard that magnesium is good for plants, e.g., Epsom salts, which is magnesium sulfate. Any idea if making a solution out of OTC magnesium oxide supplements will work?

Spork, I'd recommend giving them a dose of a complete fertilizer - one with micronutrients - rather than guessing about which nutrient is lacking.

spork

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on October 20, 2020, 12:14:49 PM
Quote from: spork on October 19, 2020, 06:08:39 AM
I've put one chili plant and two basil plants in pots as preparation for bringing them inside over the winter. The leaves on the basil plants are tiny and yellowy. I've heard that magnesium is good for plants, e.g., Epsom salts, which is magnesium sulfate. Any idea if making a solution out of OTC magnesium oxide supplements will work?

Spork, I'd recommend giving them a dose of a complete fertilizer - one with micronutrients - rather than guessing about which nutrient is lacking.

I did a chemical analysis of my garden's soil in the spring, and added what was indicated as deficient -- nitrogen and potash. These plants are now in pots, with potting soil on the bottom and around the sides.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Harlow2

A while ago I thought the garden was done for the season. But I'm now picking more tomatoes, peppers, and beans than I did in August and September thanks to no frost and very moderate temps. About to search for canning lids for salsa. 

emprof

We've had so many temp swings,  my early daffodils got confused and are blooming! I hope  they've got enough energy to go again in March.

But the real reason I'm looking forward to spring is that I planted my first peony in the fall! And my toddler and I are adding a strawberry patch to our garden,  to be her responsibility.

What are you looking forward to in your spring garden?

Harlow2

My indoor micro tomatoes have just produced their first fruit, parsley, coriander, and arugula now up and joining the prolific lettuce. Waiting for thyme and Rosemary to root. Rooting basil was quick and easy but the thyme and rosemary are taking a lot longer. They are part of a Christmas present, so I am hovering anxiously.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Harlow2 on December 10, 2020, 08:22:44 AM
My indoor micro tomatoes have just produced their first fruit, parsley, coriander, and arugula now up and joining the prolific lettuce. Waiting for thyme and Rosemary to root. Rooting basil was quick and easy but the thyme and rosemary are taking a lot longer. They are part of a Christmas present, so I am hovering anxiously.

Nice!

I have German thyme, lemon thyme, flat-leaf parsley, some variety of mint, some variety of ginger and some variety of turmeric growing in my home office. I should probably plant some lettuce/kale/arugula.

Harlow2

Looking at German thyme as another possibility now.....but running out of room under the grow lights

Charlotte

Anyone have some tips for good sources of information for beginner gardeners? Also, what is the best way to figure out the names of plants you have inherited but do not have any identification?

I'm a total newbie at this, but enjoying the new hobby!

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Charlotte on December 10, 2020, 11:44:29 AM
Anyone have some tips for good sources of information for beginner gardeners? Also, what is the best way to figure out the names of plants you have inherited but do not have any identification?

There are some apps that can help you identify plants. I usually look at leaf shape, leaf color, stem color, flower color, number of leaves per stem, height/width of plant, etc.

Here are some other questions that you may want to consider:

Does the plant have a smell when the leaves are rubbed/crushed? Does it have blooms? Does it have obvious fruit? Does it have a large taproot?- tubers?- rhizomes?

Can you tell that I'm very interested in plants? :)

Harlow2

Quote from: Charlotte on December 10, 2020, 11:44:29 AM

Gardenweb.com and its vegetable and flower sub forums have a wealth of information, and there are folks there who garden for a living and are very helpful both in growing and identification. Gardeners world on Prime is superb as well

Puget

Just ordered 10 raspberry and two grape bare root plants ( to be delivered in March at the right time for this zone), and lots of seeds. Don't want to risk them being out of stock again like last spring (though the pandemic gardening fad may have ebbed), and there is something heartening about preparing for spring planting on the day of a snowstorm near the darkest day of the year.

Any of you other gardeners also pursuing seed catalogs?
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

evil_physics_witchcraft

Just dug up some of my ginger from the living room. I now have a fresh hunk of ginger waiting for me to use it. Maybe put it in some ginger cookies? Interthreaduality...

Charlotte

How is the garden prep going for everyone? Trying anything new this year?

Puget

This will be my second summer in my house-- last year I put in a veggie garden, and despite a somewhat late start due to having to clear a jungle of overgrown stuff and add fresh soil, it did quite well (especially tomatoes which I had continuously from late June to first frost in late October). This summer I'm adding fruits-- most won't produce for a few years so they're an investment in the future.

Spring still feels like a long way off here, but I've pre-ordered a bunch of things as dormant bare-root starts that will be delivered in late March (when at least in theory the ground will be thawed enough to plant them): raspberries (10), blueberries (2), wild plum (2), bush cherry (1), currant (1), grapes (2), rhubarb (2).

I also already have my veggie seeds for the season, and will start some things in the enclosed porch in March/early April.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

evil_physics_witchcraft

My dream is to clear out part of the back yard and put in a huge fenced in veggie garden. For now, I'll have to content myself with gardening on campus.