News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

the "things you wish you could say" thread

Started by archaeo42, May 30, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishbrains

When you say things didn't go as planned, you are suggesting that there was a plan in the first place. I have my doubts.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

mamselle

Quote from: alto_stratus on August 23, 2020, 12:36:38 PM
Ahhh! Someone please take these plastic drawer thingies. There's no good space for them in my new place, and I am tired of rolling them out of the way.

Put 'em out on the curb.

They'll be gone in no time.

(I, too, once thought they'd solve problems but they didn't. The curbside shoppers got them as soon as they were out.)

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

To patron: we've had this conversation the other day. Quit picking and choosing staff!

kiana

Quote from: mamselle on August 24, 2020, 02:41:34 PM
Put 'em out on the curb.

They'll be gone in no time.

(I, too, once thought they'd solve problems but they didn't. The curbside shoppers got them as soon as they were out.)

M.

That's what I did with the queen size mattress when I moved. Apartment manager insisted I needed to pay someone to dispose of it.

Hauled it out and set it by the trash. Less than 10 minutes later someone came by in a sedan, did a Uie, tossed it on top and drove off with the two dudes in the front seats having their windows rolled down and holding it on top with one arm each.

mamselle

You play really well but if you don't get your fingers under control now, you never will.

I want to issue speeding tickets for some of those passages that need to actually go slower than you're playing them.

It's a good problem to have, but still...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

When there is a f2/hybrid version of a class and a fully online version, the reasonable accommodation is that the student who can't/won't come to campus takes the online one, NOT that the f2f/hybrid be converted to online for that one student.

And some classes cam't be converted to online and still be the same class - which is what a reasonable accommodation needs to be.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

alto_stratus

Liquidambar

You think there's a civil war coming and we all need to stock up on guns and ammo.  Who exactly do you think we need to start shooting?  Who do YOU plan to shoot?

(I'm not saying it because I don't really want to hear the answer.)
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

polly_mer

If you wanted the cover letter to follow a given format, then you have to tell people what that format is, ideally in the job ad itself.

But, sure, I'll redo my cover letter to match what the formatting requirement is and I can do it tonight.  Thank you for calling and telling me.

I will point out that your pool for this position can't be that big and I have used a version of this cover letter before for the same job title and you interviewed me as a finalist.

I will point out that I have been on the search committee for this same job title and only one person in that search submitted a cover letter in this format.  However, that does explain why that applicant stood out in a weird way because they were following the format that most of us don't know about.  The search committee certainly wasn't told to look specifically for the format.

I will also point out that one reason I am applying for this particular job is to fix processes like this that suck up a lot of time, energy, and good will while providing minimal benefit to anyone.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

FishProf

The irony of YOU decrying the adversarial atmosphere is too rich to stomach.

Everyone around here seems to think it it YOU and YOUR DIVISION that stonewalls, lies, omits, and generally acts all pissy when asked to do your job.

Methinks thou dost protest too much.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

polly_mer

Quote from: polly_mer on August 27, 2020, 04:14:58 PM
If you wanted the cover letter to follow a given format, then you have to tell people what that format is, ideally in the job ad itself.

But, sure, I'll redo my cover letter to match what the formatting requirement is and I can do it tonight.  Thank you for calling and telling me.

I will point out that your pool for this position can't be that big and I have used a version of this cover letter before for the same job title and you interviewed me as a finalist.

I will point out that I have been on the search committee for this same job title and only one person in that search submitted a cover letter in this format.  However, that does explain why that applicant stood out in a weird way because they were following the format that most of us don't know about.  The search committee certainly wasn't told to look specifically for the format.

I will also point out that one reason I am applying for this particular job is to fix processes like this that suck up a lot of time, energy, and good will while providing minimal benefit to anyone.

No, the job ad I was sent does not have a link on how to apply and therefore does not have the presentation on formatting you sent me.  The job ad link I was sent goes directly into the big ol' database system with a button to click labeled 'Apply Now'.

There is no reason an internal candidate like me would start at the external how-to-apply job site that requires multiple clicks to get to the job listings themselves.  Even that external site does not have this presentation in a prominent place that is hard to ignore.  Even looking for this presentation didn't bring it up in the first ten clicks.

I'm taking notes on all of this to send suggestions on how to improve the process because it's broken if you're insisting on a specific format for the cover letter and are bouncing applications that don't conform while not actually giving applicants the relevant information.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

histchick

Quote from: FishProf on August 27, 2020, 08:36:36 AM
When there is a f2/hybrid version of a class and a fully online version, the reasonable accommodation is that the student who can't/won't come to campus takes the online one, NOT that the f2f/hybrid be converted to online for that one student.

And some classes cam't be converted to online and still be the same class - which is what a reasonable accommodation needs to be.
Yes, to all of this. 

fishbrains

Quote from: Liquidambar on August 27, 2020, 01:58:51 PM
You think there's a civil war coming and we all need to stock up on guns and ammo.  Who exactly do you think we need to start shooting?  Who do YOU plan to shoot?

(I'm not saying it because I don't really want to hear the answer.)

Yeah, buddy. Not a fun question to ask there. Especially at church. Just sayin'.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

ergative

Huh. I had never before considered simply declining to do my job, and instead telling the person who assigned it to do it themselves. I've passed your email along to up the chain; surely such innovative approaches to this task deserve to be shared and evaluated for broader adoption.

sinenomine

Asking faculty to do childish things in the name of community-building will backfire.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."