Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Post For Stuff You Wanna Tell People

Started by Parasaurolophus, May 17, 2019, 10:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wareagle

Apparently today is National Cat Day.

That explains a lot around my house.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

mamselle

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 26, 2019, 07:04:05 PM
Four months ago, I got new gym shorts. One month ago, they disappeared. What gives?

Did you find a green marker in their place?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

aside

Four months ago, I got new gym shorts. One month ago, they disappeared. What gives?

Elastic.

ergative

Multiple Choice: A mass email has gone around that obviously got sent to a much larger list than intended. Do you

a) quietly notify the sender that their list is messed up?
b) hit 'reply all' and tell everyone else on the list that you shouldn't be on it?
c) hit 'reply all' and tell people not to hit 'reply all'?
c) Hit 'reply all' and take the opportunity to invite people to your Finnegan's Wake reading group?

All of these happened* today, but only one made me scream.

*I only assume (a), because I blessedly did not witness it

Anselm

Most of us are here alive today reading The Fora because of this heroic man.  I just figured that I would mention him here instead of starting a new thread.  I read about him years ago but forgot his name since then. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasily_Arkhipov_(vice_admiral)
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: mamselle on October 29, 2019, 07:37:12 PM

M.

Quote from: aside on October 30, 2019, 04:38:18 AM

Elastic.

You guys win today! :D
I know it's a genus.

Juvenal

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 28, 2019, 10:00:57 AM
I age today.

To mark the occasion, I have interrupted my normal reading schedule to read a new viking novel, since these tend to come out around this time every year.

*contentment*

I'd have thought, what with the obligatory raiding and pillaging, Vikings would have little time to sit down and write a novel.  Live and learn.
Cranky septuagenarian

Anselm

Quote from: Juvenal on October 30, 2019, 10:54:42 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 28, 2019, 10:00:57 AM
I age today.

To mark the occasion, I have interrupted my normal reading schedule to read a new viking novel, since these tend to come out around this time every year.

*contentment*

I'd have thought, what with the obligatory raiding and pillaging, Vikings would have little time to sit down and write a novel.  Live and learn.

It's an ongoing saga with them.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: mamselle on October 29, 2019, 07:37:12 PM

M.

Sometime Wednesday or Thursday, my neon green gym shoes were taken from the gym. So... I guess that's the opposite of a green marker?

I'll scour the seas and put my low cunning to work until vengeance is mine!
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Totally unrelated to any of the above (probably)...

I found an interesting quote.

"Cash alone won't breed passion" - Brecht

May explain certain things about teaching, generally....

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

polly_mer

https://www.aip.org/fyi/2019/academies-panel-delve-critical-questions-facing-us-rd

Another entry in "we're really, really, really short on people who can do the research we need done in specific areas and that's contributing to a lot of foreseeable problems that will affect the average American in the next 10 years or less".
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mamselle

Quote from: Anselm on October 30, 2019, 10:05:24 AM
Most of us are here alive today reading The Fora because of this heroic man.  I just figured that I would mention him here instead of starting a new thread.  I read about him years ago but forgot his name since then. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasily_Arkhipov_(vice_admiral)

Wow.

I missed seeing this.

Thank you for posting it.

I don't recall any references to it in the news at the time (obviously, some dimensions were unknown.

I do recall the news about the Bay of Pigs more generally, then, but as a kid, didn't understand much.

M.

Parasaurolophus

Strikes are inconvenient, but they don't amount to extortion.

Also, they only work because they're inconvenient.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

I realized this AM....no wonder I was tired after teaching last night.

In the course of three music lessons with a 5-year-old, a 13-year-old, and a twelve-year-old, we literally discussed and wrangled with issues of epistemology, aesthetics, and jurisprudence.

These in the course of tears over insisting that she KNEW she hadn't skipped the 1st ending of the song, confusing her brother, who was singing it (she had), both of them in terms of keeping the music going instead of stopping to discuss the issue, and the middle-schooler in terms of my NOT letting him get by with uneven speed drills "because telling me not to do it makes me want to do it more."

I hope their passion, curiosity and good humor stick with them throughout their lives.

(I also hope I survive their explorations and use of me as a sounding-board!)

But it could be so much worse.

I'm...wryly...grateful.

M.

Parasaurolophus

PSA: secretions are not super secret. To 'secret' a thing is to hide it; to 'secrete' a thing, however, is to exude it.
I know it's a genus.