News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

DOE early career proposals?

Started by ocean2428, July 01, 2019, 11:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ocean2428

Any news on this year's DOE early career proposals?

Hydro07

ocean2428

Did anyone hear anything about this year's (2020) DOE early career?

doc700

I think results have come out in August traditionally so there is still some time.  Our submission deadline was 2 weeks late so presumably that could translate to a later announcement too?

ocean2428

Last year one of my colleagues heard from the PM after five weeks from the due date.  It was a phone call saying he/she was selected. But the actual announcement came 2 months later.

doc700

I would assume in most groups its later, although like everything could vary with PM.  Last year I reviewed early career proposals for the PM I submitted to this year.  I just looked in my email and my reviews were received May 27 last year.  I think I submitted them on time (as I was trying to impress the PM for this year!) but reviewers receiving a few week extension is not unreasonable, particularly this year given COVID.  In addition, everything would have been shifted by 2 weeks due to the extension we all received in submission.  Once the PM received the reviews, there would likely need to be at least 2 weeks to read all of the comments for all the proposals.  So I wouldn't guess I would hear anything until late June/early July if my PM sticks to the same schedule.  But of course your group could be quicker. 

Which program did you submit to/have you submitted in the past?   

ocean2428

Yes, this can be different from program to program, and with the current situation delaying everything isn't a surprise.

Actually, two of my colleagues got a phone call from their PM on the same day (June 17th, 2019). I guess its six weeks, not five weeks. The two programs are BES - Materials Chemistry and FES - HEDP.

I applied to BES - condensed matter physics.

What was the program that you reviewed last year?

doc700

I reviewed for the physical behavior of materials.  Also in BES but not in CMP. 

I think hearing in late June would likely be reasonable if everything is on time this year.  I do have a DOE regular grant and it took maybe a month between when we got our reviews back to the official paperwork being set.  We were asked to revise our abstract etc during that time.  Hearing in late June would be consistent with public notification in August.

Good luck to your application!  This is my first time applying.  I don't have high hopes but do have some preliminary data related to my proposal which gives me a bit of hope.

ocean2428

Thanks!

Waiting is a stressful process. This is my second time. My first-time scores were good. I had 6, 6, 5, and 4, but I had two awards from DOE and NSF, which kind of went against me. They concluded that my proposal highly overlaps with my current funding, which wasn't the case.
I am hopeful with the current submission, but you never know.

Having preliminary data always help. GOOD LUCK!

doc700

Wow those are excellent scores.  Its a shame you didnt get funded.  Good luck this time!

doc700

Wanted to check in if anyone heard?  I heard from a colleague who heard from a colleague that someone was informed although its not in my field.  It did sound like it was last week so perhaps still some time but was curious if others had started to hear anything?

ocean2428

Interesting. I think all PMs informs the winners on the same day. This is unofficial and to request a public abstract and revised budget. Two of my colleague who won last year heard from the same day even though they are two different programs (BES - Materials Chemistry and FES - HEDP). I guess it a no for me this year as well. Well...that's a bummer.  I have one more try left.

ocean2428

Anyone else heard from their PMs?

doc700

I haven't heard anything although since I'm not optimistic about my chances I'm not sure if thats useful feedback to you.  Presumably those being awarded the funds would be contacted first?

Would like to get going on the AFOSR YIP and NSF CAREER so it would be very "helpful" to have a rejection if that is what is coming so I can more easily apply for those grants with no ambiguity on the potential overlap.

ocean2428

Yes, I think that was the case. Only winners contacted first. I wrote to my PM last week asking the proposal's status but didn't hear back.