News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Withdrawing a submitted article

Started by Veggie3, July 21, 2019, 06:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hibush

Quote from: Veggie3 on July 29, 2019, 12:37:53 AM
Thank you Cheerful, for your kind words. The thing is by now I heard similar assessments about tenure from many people (including my department chair), and for some reason it makes me even more nervous. The fear of spiraling expectations, etc.
Choosing the right journals for a tenure package is important, and standards vary a lot among the people who will be evaluating the tenure package. It is very helpful to have documentation that the journals you published in are appropriate. The strongest place is likely the annual letter from your chair.

A chairs letter can say, e.g. that the Journal of Molecular Basketweaving is the top journal in your specialty and is a good place to make a mark in disciplinary advances. Or that The Vessel Journal reaches a broad audience and publishes basket work. That provides context for reviewers, and support for the candidate if someone important decides to disagree.

Veggie3

Thanks Hibush,

That's a solid insight - since my field is small (and so is my department), I had to publish in a journal outside the field (and much more general) in order to show versatility and an inter-disciplinary arch.
Jack of no trades.