News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Publish several articles or one book?

Started by permanent imposter, July 24, 2019, 10:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

permanent imposter

Hi all, my main question right off the bat is this: Is it better to aim for publishing one monograph, or to publish several articles in peer-reviewed journals? I'm guessing the ideal answer is both, but I cannot see myself having the energy/time for that. I'm also guessing that if that is not possible, it is better to publish a book with a prestigious UP, but I'm worried about the lack of publications during the time when I am prepping the book.

My field is literature, btw.

More background, if anyone wants to read it: I am TT at a small regional university where the tenure requirements are not hard to meet, and there's definitely no need for a book. At the same time I am looking to relocate to a different part of the country, so getting a book out will help me with my job search. So far I have published three book chapters in edited volumes (one of them possibly does not count, as it was for a vanity press) and one journal article. The book project I really want to embark on is ambitious and does not have much overlap with what I have published so far, but I'm more interested in it than anything I have done. I worked on one chapter this summer and was planning to write a book proposal next, but everything I've read online tells me that for first time book writers, it's better to have a completed manuscript. With at least four more chapters to go, I now face the prospect of needing at least one to two more years before I even see a book contract, and of course there's always the possibility that I won't get one.

Unfortunately I did not receive much mentoring when I was in grad school so I am really just figuring this stuff out on my own now! (Hence my username.) Thanks for any advice you guys can provide!

Hegemony

Yes, in your situation the book is definitely better.

Do you have any pieces of your PhD dissertation you can spin into articles with less trouble than writing an article from scratch?  I take it your dissertation has not yet been turned into a book.  Would that be possible?  That's the easiest way of getting one's first book out.

Once you get up to speed, I wouldn't think four more chapters on this current project would take a huge long time, unless they are on drastically different subjects and you have to start the research from scratch on each one.  I find that if I am really strict with myself, I can get an article or chapter (~8000 words) done in three months. So potentially you could have the manuscript ready to go in a year and a half, perhaps?  Of course obstacles also do arise.

If you had a book from your dissertation, and another one out in, say, three years, that would be a nice track record for employers to see.

polly_mer

What do your local mentors recommend?

If the 3rd year review needs to have more published material than you currently have so you get to continue on the TT, then that should play a role in your decision.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

aside

Your best advice will come from others in your field (which I am not, though through administrative positions and college/university tenure committees, I have been involved in evaluating candidates in literature). Your colleagues at your current institution should understand the timeframe involved in producing a book, and give credit toward renewal for making significant progress on your manuscript. From your post, it sounds like you are not at a place that would expect both a book and several journal articles, but nailing that down with your colleagues is essential.

permanent imposter

Quote from: Hegemony on July 25, 2019, 05:45:26 AM
Do you have any pieces of your PhD dissertation you can spin into articles with less trouble than writing an article from scratch?  I take it your dissertation has not yet been turned into a book.  Would that be possible?  That's the easiest way of getting one's first book out.

Once you get up to speed, I wouldn't think four more chapters on this current project would take a huge long time, unless they are on drastically different subjects and you have to start the research from scratch on each one. 

I hated my dissertation when I was halfway through writing it and finished it just to get it done. I also don't think its contents are very marketable, but that might also be because I hate it. Part of it I think is I fall into the trap of wanting perfection; I almost always dislike everything I write even though I get good feedback from others. Which is why I want to work on this current project so much -- I feel like after 7 years in grad school and 5 years teaching I finally found a topic that I truly feel passionate about.

Quote from: aside on July 25, 2019, 06:12:28 AM
Your colleagues at your current institution should understand the timeframe involved in producing a book, and give credit toward renewal for making significant progress on your manuscript. From your post, it sounds like you are not at a place that would expect both a book and several journal articles, but nailing that down with your colleagues is essential.

Quote from: polly_mer on July 25, 2019, 05:57:38 AM
What do your local mentors recommend?

If the 3rd year review needs to have more published material than you currently have so you get to continue on the TT, then that should play a role in your decision.

I've already had a favorable third year review and I've satisfied the stated requirements for tenure. In terms of my current institution, a lot of the junior faculty are very gung ho about research so I suppose I'm a little worried about measuring up. My institution is currently having financial issues which is why I'm looking elsewhere, so I was thinking more about how the book/article thing would look to other institutions. I haven't really told anyone at my institution that I am thinking about leaving; I have a good relationship with my colleagues and I wouldn't be thinking about going on the market if we were financially stable.

pink_

If you are hoping to move, you very likely need a book.
If you are content to stay where you are, keep doing what you're doing.

It might be possible to move at the assistant level without a monograph, but credential creep has hit literary studies hard. It's not uncommon to see applications from post-docs and VAPs with book contracts already.