News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Acknowledgements?

Started by Seeker123, August 15, 2019, 07:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seeker123

Hello all, after a decade of writing my book I am now working on the acknowledgments. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? Should I acknowledge my mentor who really had no impact or role in the book, but does help me navigate the politics of the university?

Parasaurolophus

My vote's for 'no', since they didn't have a direct impact on the book.

I don't see any harm in including them, however.
I know it's a genus.

hungry_ghost

Quote from: Seeker123 on August 15, 2019, 07:32:18 PM
Should I acknowledge my mentor who really had no impact or role in the book, but does help me navigate the politics of the university?

My doctoral supervisor was not helpful after I graduated, and never read a page of my book until after it was published. However, without her guidance in graduate school, I would not have had the training to write the book. So that is basically what I said in the acknowledgments to my first book.

I think you're talking about your mentor at your university, not a grad school adviser-type mentor. Are you grateful to her / him for giving you support during the time you were writing it? If so, then could you just say that? Finishing a book is a big project and we receive all kinds of support in order to do it.

Other people would probably suggest that you consider whether mentioning her would be politically expedient, but I'm not so sure about that.

Just thoughts ...

dr_codex

You're overthinking this.

The only things you have to acknowledge are granting/funding agencies, and venues that have published portions earlier. Other than that, this is your baby.

If you feel funny about crediting this mentor for the content of the book, why not a line about "Mentor X, for moral support and coffee throughout the decade..." or somesuch? You don't have to be a jerk about it, and you could make it personal more than professional.

back to the books.

polly_mer

Quote from: dr_codex on August 15, 2019, 09:35:58 PM
You're overthinking this.

Agreed.

Quote from: dr_codex on August 15, 2019, 09:35:58 PM
If you feel funny about crediting this mentor for the content of the book, why not a line about "Mentor X, for moral support and coffee throughout the decade..." or somesuch? You don't have to be a jerk about it, and you could make it personal more than professional.

This.  I nod along every time I read acknowledgements that go along the lines of:

I gratefully acknowledge funding support from X, Y, and Z. 

Super research assistants C, D, E, and F worked tirelessly to help with tracking down all the references and helping format all those footnotes.  Thanks, group!

This work is better because of super editors A and B.  Keep those red pencils handy for the next book.

On a more personal note, the Thursday writing group (<first names>) helped me keep going when the going was tough.  Mentor X gave me moral support and coffee all these years.  Kids, I've now blocked off every Sunday afternoon for the next six months to spend at the park with you.  Spouse, there are no words for how much you've supported me in this endeavor; I love you THIS much!

It seems honest* and yet doesn't credit moral support folks with content contributions.

*I know nothing about how supportive the spouse really is, but it reads honest enough.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Seeker123

Thank you all, as a follow up, my publisher is giving me about 10 free copies. Am I supposed to give a copy to anyone in particular? Sorry if these sound like dumb questions, it is my first time.

craftyprof

Your institution's library should get a copy.
Also your mom.

I imagine the publisher would like you to use the rest as door prizes when you give speeches or for other marketing purposes, but I would divide them amond the mentors, collaborators and research assistants you decided to name in the acknowledgements along with a thoughtful note elaborating on the single sentence of gratitude you were able to include in the actual book.

hungry_ghost

Your institution's library should PURCHASE a copy unless they are really, really poor. You don't need to give them one of your free copies.

Books are supposed to be read. You should give copies to people you think will actually read it and find it interesting, which may or may not be a subset of the people you mention in the acknowledgements. Do not give copies to friends or colleagues who will just put it on the shelf like so much bric-a-brac. Also, you don't have to give them all away at once. You can hang onto a few copies and think about it. 

fourhats

Also, remember that some funders require a copy of the published work after it comes out.

toothpaste

Protip: keep a running list of acknowledgments as you work, otherwise you will inevitably forget someone who helped you along the way.

As to the free copies, I tend to give them to the archives where I conducted my research, to my parents, to my own institution, and one for the dean to put on display.