News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Summer Research Plans

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:48:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

It's still early, so we all have big plans.  Share your plans here!

I've got three papers in the hopper so this summer is about writing.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Puget

You're missing "I'm going to be in the lab" as an option.

My ambitious list (I may almost certainly will laugh at this list at the end of the summer), in order of priority:

1. Getting a new big study off the ground. We thought IRB was going to have issues and instead they approved it expedited in a couple of weeks- go figure. So all engines go on getting it ready to run and starting recruitment. This also will provide some proof-of-feasibilty data for #2, so top priority.

2. Two R01s for October deadline (one collaborative). This is going to be the majority of my summer/early fall.

3. At least 2, maybe 3, grad student-lead papers submitted by the end of the summer (we'll see, but we do a weekly writing group and they've really gotten in the spirit of writing productivity, so I'm hopeful). Each of these will require multiple rounds of revisions from me.

4. Big, complex collaborative paper with too many cooks in the kitchen (or sometimes no cooks in the kitchen because everyone thinks someone else is cooking). If we at least have the pre-registration done and data files prepped by the end of the summer I'll be happy.

5. Last pre-registered paper from completed collaborative study. This is one where we don't believe others' claims and expect null results (but with better methods). If we're right about that it will be hard to publish and not make us any friends. But I don't think I get to talk about good data practices and replicability and then not try to publish things like this.

I'll also be spending a couple of weeks visiting family and friends and hiking in my beloved mountains. Oh, and I'm trying to buy a house. I think this summer is going to require a lot of disciplined efficiency with the work and a lot to caffeine, but I'm excited about most of it.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

aside

I'm loosely in the humanities, so no lab, but I suspect I also will be chuckling at my list:

Complete a critical edition and get it to the publisher.

Check proofs of two forthcoming articles.

Complete paper for summer conference.

Complete and submit one article.

Complete paper for fall conference.

Complete proposal for another fall conference.

Compose in my spare time.

darkstarrynight

I have a lot of research projects to catch up on but must also work on my tenure packet this summer while teaching two classes.  Here are some goals!

• Finish longitudinal study analysis, complete manuscript, submit to targeted journal
  • Start collecting data for new study if my co-PI will ever respond to my email
  • Submit IRB paperwork (finished it today) once my co-PI for this other study will ever respond to my email
  • Collect more data for grant project that got extended through next year, yay!
  • Hopefully will have abstract selected for special issue and can crank that manuscript out before September

Otherwise, I have one manuscript under review with a former student, a book coming out in August (finishing up editor queries right now), and an article coming out in August/September.  Who knows what else will happen!

Parasaurolophus

I'm teaching all summer, with just two weeks off in which I'm expected to perform 74 hours of service. Sigh.

Still, there are a few modest goals:

• Write a piece for a special issue to which I was invited.
  • Sort out what's going on with Prize Pub (i.e. remind them to publish it, fix it up a bit).
  • Revise Rejected Paper, and get it back under consideration/finally published.
  • Make real progress on book (i.e. 1-2 chapters).

There shouldn't be any trouble accomplishing the first three. That last one, though...
I know it's a genus.

polly_mer

Quote from: Puget on May 20, 2019, 07:19:18 AM
You're missing "I'm going to be in the lab" as an option.

Good catch!  I have edited the poll.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Vkw10

I'm doing data collection and clean up, taking a week long methods course at a mountain lodge, and drafting two-thirds of a chapter which my co-author will edit and complete.

The mountain lodge has a lake, so I'm hoping for a beach.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

mamselle

Um. Well, a lot of research is already done and in various forms of unready.

A blog is nearly done, goes out this week, I hope.

Two different book chapters are waiting to be born. One will build on a paper I just gave, plus one I just proposed, and a bunch of others done in the past few years. (One sub topic keeps wanting to pop up and be its own....something, I don't know what yet...I don't want to suppress it but I'm not ready to have it take over, either.)

The other book uses the methods that took the blog from 400 to 4000 words....look up the deeds and probate records, and they'll run away with you!..but that's what needs doing, sooo... that's to be done.

Other stuff, like the materials I got in France, need to at least be filed and described so I can work on them later but I'm too easily seduced into trying to start writing them up, too, if I do....so, holding back on those for now.

Submissions?

Gulp.

We'll see...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

sinenomine

Thanks to increasing admin duties, my research and writing have gotten really behind. I'm hoping to get myself back in gear over the summer, and submit a couple articles that are nearly ready to send out, and tackle a new one, thanks to a promising find I've just made of a manuscript that was thought to be lost. I've been missing being a medievalist!
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

mamselle

Ooooh.

Yes.

We like the finding of missing MSs.

Excellent work!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

bhiennsona

This summer I'm moving my lab program to my new job, so I won't get as much research done as I'd like. But next summer I'll be in the field and the lab.

Right now, it's all about apply for permits to move my research organisms...

darkstarrynight

Quote from: darkstarrynight on May 20, 2019, 10:58:36 AM
I have a lot of research projects to catch up on but must also work on my tenure packet this summer while teaching two classes.  Here are some goals!

• Finish longitudinal study analysis, complete manuscript, submit to targeted journal
  • Start collecting data for new study if my co-PI will ever respond to my email
  • Submit IRB paperwork (finished it today) once my co-PI for this other study will ever respond to my email
  • Collect more data for grant project that got extended through next year, yay!
  • Hopefully will have abstract selected for special issue and can crank that manuscript out before September

Otherwise, I have one manuscript under review with a former student, a book coming out in August (finishing up editor queries right now), and an article coming out in August/September.  Who knows what else will happen!

Abstract got selected today and my collaborators and I met today to outline our manuscript which is due 9/15. Yay!  My co-PI for first study listed up there set up a meeting with me for Thursday to launch the data collection phase too.

eigen

3 summer undergraduates doing research and a CAREER grant to write.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

fast_and_bulbous

Writing, researching, vacationing, camping. And a couple of talks.
I wake up every morning with a healthy dose of analog delay

nescafe

Field and archival research, pivoting into a new book project that I'm really excited about.

Travel to Greece/Italy, totally unrelated to my research. (This will be the best part!)

Finish/submit a chapter for a collab book (Sept deadline).

A couple of talks and visiting with buddies.