News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

2020 Elections

Started by spork, June 22, 2019, 01:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Quote from: mamselle on March 29, 2020, 12:58:51 PM
Warren/Klobuchar might push the "female electability" envelope in an interesting way.

As In, "There's No Hidin' Place Down Here!"

But it could also be a re-play of 2016.

What about Pelosi/Warren? Or Wareen/Pelosi?

That's a balanced ticket: one from the House, one from the Senate....

M.

Pelosi is too old.

mamselle

Well, OK, yeah, maybe--but have you seen anyone else with the fortitude, energy, and chutzpah to stand up to the orange-tufted gooney bird?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

spork

It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

nebo113

Parasaurolophus

Sanders has suspended his campaign.
I know it's a genus.

RatGuy

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 08, 2020, 10:07:01 AM

My facebook feed is lighting up with Sanders supporters singing the praises of Trump. It's actually getting pretty nasty.

mamselle

Oh, dear.

Politics is inscrutable sometimes.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

writingprof

Quote from: RatGuy on April 08, 2020, 10:50:35 AM

My facebook feed is lighting up with Sanders supporters singing the praises of Trump. It's actually getting pretty nasty.

Well, of course. Sanders supporters want to burn it all down. If they can't burn it all down with Sanders, they'll burn it all down with Trump. Meanwhile, reasonable conservatives have no political representatives, and the representative of reasonable progressives, Joe Biden, is the crypt-keeper.

ciao_yall

Quote from: writingprof on April 08, 2020, 01:49:41 PM

Well, of course. Sanders supporters want to burn it all down. If they can't burn it all down with Sanders, they'll burn it all down with Trump. Meanwhile, reasonable conservatives have no political representatives, and the representative of reasonable progressives, Joe Biden, is the crypt-keeper.

Or, it's Russian bots trying to stir it up, as they did last time.

Parasaurolophus

It may be representative of Ratguy's FB feed, but it's not representative of Sanders's support. All the evidence indicates that a perfectly normal percentage of them will defect, just like in 2016 (when fewer Sanders voters defected to Trump than Hillary supporters to McCain in 2008).

I said before that if Biden gets the nomination, I'd stop following the election quite so closely. I still plan to do this, even though it's a pretty big behavioural change. I'll watch the debates, such as they are and if there are any. But I'm giving up on my podcasts, news-bingeing, and everything else for the duration. And possibly for the next four years, too. I just don't think I can handle it, as an outside observer. I want you all to have nice things, but...

(On the plus side, he's not Bloomberg.)
I know it's a genus.

dismalist

Blaming the Russkies has been a convenient way of avoiding thought. Interest in understanding why Trump won has been zero, in both parties, I might add.

The word "populism" may be useful now, perhaps to describe those for whom the American Dream came up short.  There are some left populists, some Sanders folk, and there are the not-so-left populists, the Trump folk. It is only natural that the more left populists join the not-so-left populists now that their standard bearer has withdrawn, for they have in common that they have been short changed.

Interim bottom line: Sanders' loss is Trump's gain.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

writingprof

Quote from: dismalist on April 08, 2020, 02:24:04 PM
Blaming the Russkies has been a convenient way of avoiding thought. Interest in understanding why Trump won has been zero, in both parties, I might add.

The word "populism" may be useful now, perhaps to describe those for whom the American Dream came up short.  There are some left populists, some Sanders folk, and there are the not-so-left populists, the Trump folk. It is only natural that the more left populists join the not-so-left populists now that their standard bearer has withdrawn, for they have in common that they have been short changed.

That's dismal analysis.

spork

Quote from: dismalist on April 08, 2020, 02:24:04 PM

I don't have any knowledge of what research has been done by either party on why Trump won, but the academic research indicates that racist attitudes among large proportions of the electorate in key districts played a big role.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

writingprof

Quote from: spork on April 08, 2020, 04:53:39 PM
I don't have any knowledge of what research has been done by either party on why Trump won, but the academic research indicates that racist attitudes among large proportions of the electorate in key districts played a big role.

Racist or "racist"?  I hate Mexicans and will vote for their oppressor is racist.  Large-scale, unskilled immigration is putting downward pressure on wages is "racist."  Complicating matters is the fact that some who say the former merely lack the vocabulary and political insight to say the latter.

Diogenes

I can't speak for all Sanders supporters, but you definitely don't speak for me. FWIW, I was very much for Warren then went to Sanders. Wanting the basic things that most industrialized countries have (like universal health care) is not trying "to burn it all down." Stereotyping all Sanders supporters as the vocal online Bernie Bros is an insincere and bad faith argument.