News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Knitting, Sewing and Handcraft Projects, Now and Forever...

Started by mamselle, March 15, 2020, 07:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

mamselle

Didja see the curried ones in the Belleville film (Interthreadual note)...?

M.

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

reener06

This showed up on my 'new replies to posts' but apparently I haven't checked in awhile. How's the projects going?

I finished the baby blanket, but not till the summer. I did a baby hat, then another, to use the leftover yarn. Another cousin had another baby, and I had old handkerchiefs of her grandmother's (my aunt) sitting in a drawer. I turned it into a pretty pink and green pillow, and threw a baby hat in there. She loved it. It was easy to order fabric for the back of it off Amazon.  I used the rest of that muslin to make an Apollo costume for the 9 year old's Halloween, which was the only highlight of his Halloween.

Also took that old scarf apart--frogged it I suppose--and made a cute sleeveless top for college student. Perfect for it. Almost done, just need to sew up the ends. Did another with other nice yarn I had sitting around. Ordered the pattern from a company in Denmark and had to request an English version, so slight delay there.

Knitting a soft cowl for college student but wow, did I mess up the knitting and need to frog it. Too much going on with Xmas. But it'll be nice when done.

Also did a hat for 9 year old. He loved it, but I did a rough pattern and need to make it better. About to knit another and matching scarf for 10 year old niece.

Still working through my yarn stash and trying not to buy more. Also gave away some yarn to a friend's grandmother, and some unused fabric on a neighborhood swap page.

I also got a large foldable file with a zipper. I went through a few years of old knitting magazines I'd hung onto, cut out the patterns I liked, put them in order in this file, and recycled them. A lot more room, and so much more organized. Hence the cowl.

Actually, looking back, I'd say I'm doing pretty good. One post-tenure vow was to knit more--I'd about given it up--and I'm pleased to see my progress and my yarn stash get smaller.

nebo113

I did an online weaving course in color using overshot and had a wonderful experience!  Completed 11 mug rugs, with warp for several more.

reener06

mamselle

I was just going to revive this thread, glad to see it's come up again!

AmLitHist, what all are you working on?

I like the use of the term "frog" being revived.

I'm repressing my desires to a) do a new 18th c. bodice, and b) make another set of skirts to go with it.

I also just constructed a new 17th c. tour, which of course can't be done for awhile yet; however, I might have to....um....no....think about that later....

And the Renaissance dance clothes (that would have been used this past spring) will not yet be needed since that conference will be online again this year as well...so....reprieve for a bit on those.

But I probably will hurry up and do a couple of jewelry-like things for holiday presents....once these two writing projects get done this week!

Others?

What are you using up/working on?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

nebo113

Quote from: reener06 on December 14, 2020, 05:47:48 AM
Wow! Where did you take the course?

From Tien Chiu and Janet Dawson.  It was free, though they are now offering something similar for a fee.  PM me if you'd like.....

evil_physics_witchcraft

My house is still in a massive state of disarray, so I haven't officially relocated my crafting room. Once this is accomplished, I would love to start sewing clothes, cat toys (I may make some of these by hand on the couch) and other things.

I bought a round loom-type thing awhile ago to make quickie hats on, but haven't really played with it. Has anyone used one of these with success?

wareagle

Quote from: nebo113 on December 14, 2020, 05:36:23 AM
I did an online weaving course in color using overshot and had a wonderful experience!  Completed 11 mug rugs, with warp for several more.

I would LOVE to learn weaving. 

I make small quilt mugrugs, but am always concerned that people will mistake them for potholders, when they don't have a layer of InsulBrite in them.  I just finished a snazzy pair for my MIL, and am now starting a cat tent for Catso.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

nebo113

To Evil Physics and Wareagle....

I have never used the round looms but they look like fun.  I do have several small "frame" looms, sometimes referred to as tapestry looms, which I have with me here in Winter Quarters.  I had taken a weaving course before I retired, but it was not until after retirement, when I had time (no grading papers, etc), that I focused on weaving.   I am delighted that you are both interested and will definitely be a cheerleader!  There are many FB weaving sites, which are supportive of new weavers.

I do understand your concern about confusing quilted mug rugs for hot pads.  And a quilted cat house for Catso....I've seen felted shelters, and would love to see your quilted one.

wareagle

Where did you buy your looms?  I've been looking a bit on Amazon, but I have no knowledge or experience with these things.

I'm not on FB, but I'm sure there are other blogs or groups out there.  I'm going to check them out.  Thanks!
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: nebo113 on December 16, 2020, 06:20:32 AM

I have never used the round looms but they look like fun.  I do have several small "frame" looms, sometimes referred to as tapestry looms, which I have with me here in Winter Quarters.  I had taken a weaving course before I retired, but it was not until after retirement, when I had time (no grading papers, etc), that I focused on weaving.   I am delighted that you are both interested and will definitely be a cheerleader!  There are many FB weaving sites, which are supportive of new weavers.

I do understand your concern about confusing quilted mug rugs for hot pads.  And a quilted cat house for Catso....I've seen felted shelters, and would love to see your quilted one.

Cool!

I was thinking about building a simple loom (using nails and old lumber). Ever use plarn to weave, knit or crochet?

nebo113

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on December 16, 2020, 04:00:02 PM
Quote from: nebo113 on December 16, 2020, 06:20:32 AM

Cool!

I was thinking about building a simple loom (using nails and old lumber). Ever use plarn to weave, knit or crochet?

I have seen simple frame looms made of picture frames.  I have not used plarn for weaving (though I will one day) but directions are easily available, especially for making bags.

AmLitHist

Yesterday evening I finished up these dragon scale fingerless gloves in this Red Heart Neon Stripe yarn (you might need to open the list and pick the specific yarn to see it--fifth row down, fifth color over).  They were a late present for Kid #1, who loves them.  (Very quick and easy--this is the first time I worked the pattern, and I did each glove in an evening.) I'm going to make a scarf with the scales on one end to use up the yarn, I think, and maybe a beanie with a couple of rows of scales, too, if there's enough left.

nebo113

Received an Ashford inklette loom, warped it, and now weaving my first band.  Great fun!!  And I see a larger inkle in my future.