News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Knitting, Sewing and Handcraft Projects, Now and Forever...

Started by mamselle, March 15, 2020, 07:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chemystery

Quote from: AmLitHist on March 16, 2020, 08:34:16 AM
Mamselle, I do sew (and used to do it nearly ALL the time, literally:  I made all the girls' clothes, my clothes, household thngs, etc.) but haven't in years.  Everything now is crochet.

Both blankets are crocheted.  And here is a page of patterns showing variations for the gingham pattern.  I'm doing my first one, and I love it.  Mine is in a very pale pink, a darker pink, and off white--like the first one shown on that website, but paler colors. 

Also, Kid #1 is my artist, and since I'm absolutely awful at picking colors or knowing what looks good together, I rely on her!  (We ended up getting a pale sage, a pale yellow, and a light sandy beige, to which I'll add some narrow rows and edging in off-white.)

Those are really pretty.  I bookmarked the page for a future project.

histlibrarian

Aside from the knit shawl that I was working on slowly, I have a lot of projects that I banished to the corner of 'will eventually get around to finishing.' I think now will be the moment that I actually get around to doing those, if I don't get swept up in browsing Ravelry and finding new projects to cast on.

mamselle

Three rows done on the mitts-by-pencil, and I think I've figured out the pattern I'll use (light 2-ply brown wool)

40 stitches cast on
    Knit 8 rows straight
    Cast on 2, knit 2, cast on 4, knit 36, cast on 4, knit 2, cast on 3
    Knit all (53) one row
    Separate off 6, knit 41, separate off 6
      (I got some huge-O safety pins at a little market in St. Denis in December, am going to try those for fun!)
     Cast on 2, knit 53, cast on 4.
     Knit all 59 x 10 rows, cast off
     Knit separated sections x 6 rows each, cast off.
     Bring sides together inside-out
     Sew sides
     Bring small angular sides together, still inside-out
     Stitch to form thumb
  Turn outside out, try on, see if it fits! (If not, pull it apart and try again!)

I really wanted something kind of lacey and looser-knit, but all the patterns I've seen are for tightly knit, thick wool mitts....which would be great for winter, but these are for summer.

So this is a compromise, to see if I can get the pattern right, first.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

bacardiandlime

Currently knitting what will be a large circular shawl. About 25% into it so far! It will be about 60" across.

mamselle

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

bacardiandlime

It's pale blue. The pattern is here https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-eye-of-day
I'm using a merino/alpaca/silk blend yarn that is very soft.

mamselle

That is soooooo pretty!

Looks complicated, too!

I can see why it would take awhile.

M.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Has anyone tried arm knitting? I wonder if it would work well with t-shirt yarn...

mamselle

Never heard of it...arms as knitting needles?

Who knew?

Have to go look it up!

M.

nebo113

Aie ya yaie!  Ugh.  Am 'social distancing" at a place other than my main residence.  Have loom with me and some yarn, but not warping board or shuttles!  Ordering the latter but still trying to figure out warping.

mamselle

nebo113

reener06

Have you seen they are posting mask patterns and suggesting people who can sew them do? This occurred to me yesterday, but the pattern in my head was more complicated, so yay.

Here's a link if you are interested. If you don't like this one, there are at least 2 others with different patterns/videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvKjgMKC7wc&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0YXi0lIWRUSUWX4vDPVEKVwXmvoi2xlk69ZtUuBF3ymHAvHlNbXi56Yos

Cheerful

Beautiful shawl, barcardiandlime!  Keep us posted on your progress.  How long would something like that typically take to make?  Weeks, months, years? : )

Quote from: reener06 on March 20, 2020, 08:38:44 AM
Have you seen they are posting mask patterns and suggesting people who can sew them do? This occurred to me yesterday, but the pattern in my head was more complicated, so yay.

Here's a link if you are interested. If you don't like this one, there are at least 2 others with different patterns/videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvKjgMKC7wc&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0YXi0lIWRUSUWX4vDPVEKVwXmvoi2xlk69ZtUuBF3ymHAvHlNbXi56Yos

What a great idea.  I've seen some news stories on these efforts.

mamselle

Quote from: nebo113 on March 20, 2020, 05:15:08 AM
Quote from: mamselle on March 19, 2020, 11:19:42 AM
What kind of yarn/what color?

What will you make?

M.

Me?

Yes. A friend from Ohio, long ago, was a weaver who did huge wall-hanging-level/art museum grade pieces. I learned from her the use of four different complementary color pairs in setting up her loom and weaving patterns, and I've always loved the depth and texture of fine woven work.

So--yes, what will you weave once you have all the requisite materials/parts/etc.?

M.