News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What have you read lately?

Started by polly_mer, May 19, 2019, 02:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wareagle

I'm reading Under the Banner of Heaven, Jon Krakauer.  I like his books, tragic though most of them seem.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

spork

Quote from: wareagle on August 15, 2019, 02:28:30 PM
I'm reading Under the Banner of Heaven, Jon Krakauer.  I like his books, tragic though most of them seem.

I remember this book. It was good. You might like Educated by Tara Westover -- a first-person account of growing up in a family of abusive, on-the-fringe believers.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Juvenal

Agrippina by Emma Southen, a history of Imperial Rome, from about Tiberius to the death of Nero, with a focus on Agrippina the Younger, done in a racy, conversational style, not afraid of the f-word (for those doing it or not), with a focus on Agrippina, sister of Caligula, wife of Claudius, mother of Nero, finally murdered by Nero.  A feminist view, a lot of speculation, as there is not much authentic material about Agrippina, whole years of her life blank in history, save pejorative mentions in some later writers of the time-Tacitus, Dio Cassius. So, not just Agrippina, but the status of Roman women, and asides about many other topics in early Imperial Rome.  With zingers along the way.
Cranky septuagenarian

ergative

I've been reading Malka Older's Centenal Cycle. The first book is called Infomocracy and the second, which I'm halfway through, is Null States. It's a really smart, imaginative view of a medium-future (late 21st century) earth, which has adopted a vastly different global governance system of 'microdemocracy': The world is divided into 'centenals' of 100,000 people each and they vote on one of a few thousand different possible governments. To the extent that there's anything resembling a nation-state, it's the patchwork of centenals around the globe that all happen to share a government, but of course at each election a centenal can switch to a new government. The events of the first book cover one such election, which is full of all sorts of shenanigans. Highly recommended!

the_geneticist

Quote from: ergative on May 19, 2019, 11:43:02 PM
Yay, this thread!

I just finished Kameron Hurley's The Stars are Legion, which was incredibly gross and incredibly awesome. Enormous organic world-ships in space that are so old that everyone has basically forgotten how they work, rotting from cancerous disorders, and filled inside with lots of different, uniquely horrifying biosystems and cultures of people who don't even believe they're on a world-ship. There's a wonderful subversion of the whole 'live as one with nature' trope, because the people and the world-ships are perfectly aligned with each other: you can eat or drink anything you find, and you don't get infections in wounds, because the human/world-ship biology is so compatible; yet the flip side of that is a ton of body horror: women literally birth organic ship components, and everything can be 'recycled', which means lots of scenes in the deepest depths, where organic material (such as dead or not-yet-dead bodies) rots and is eaten by the recycling organisms.

In some ways Hurley's work reminds me of the opening scenes in Bones episodes: she takes such a delight in imagining the grossest possible things that could happen, and she has such a fertile imagination in rendering it.

I'm now reading Jeanette Ng's Under the Pendulum Sun, which is about Christian missionaries going off into Faerie to convert the fae, and not doing very well. Some of the elements are really beautifully imagined (especially the pendulum sun and the fish moon), but there's a weird sort-of-incestuous plot line that I'm not digging.
I'm almost done reading The Stars are Legion.  It's fantastic! Gross, and weird, and fantastic.

nescafe

I just finished The Boat People by Sharon Bala. A brilliant debut novelization of refugee detention centers, and the processing of 500 Sri Lankan refugees who arrived in Canada by boat after fleeing the civil war. Definitely recommended, not only for its salience to our own moment but because it is beautifully narrated and makes plain the many legal and ethical issues involved in this work.

hmaria1609

Enjoying "The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club" series by Theodora Goss:
The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter
European Travel for the Monstrous Gentlewoman

The #3 and final novel The Sinister Mystery of the Mesmerizing Girl comes out next month.

More about the author here: https://theodoragoss.com

nebo113

Quote from: hmaria1609 on August 29, 2019, 07:11:58 PM
Enjoying "The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club" series by Theodora Goss:
The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter
European Travel for the Monstrous Gentlewoman

The #3 and final novel The Sinister Mystery of the Mesmerizing Girl comes out next month.

More about the author here: https://theodoragoss.com

Thanks for this link.  Sounds intriguing.

traductio

Every summer, or almost, I read Madlands by J. Allen Kirsch. It is a poorly typeset campy soap-operatic romp that also happens to satirize (lovingly) one of my favorite places, Madison, Wisconsin. It's a send-up of academic culture, and I can never seem to put it down.

This year I discovered there's a sequel called God's Little Isthmus, and my copy finally came in the mail today. Its typesetting is much better, but that's all that's changed, I'm happy to report.

ab_grp

We finished Trinity (Uris) a while back.  It's quite a tale, heartbreaking at times, entertaining at times, pretty engaging.  There were quite a few aspects that seemed very relevant to today, politics, treatment of different groups of people, identity, and so forth.  We decided to hold off a bit before reading Redemption, which I think picks up a bit later from the point of view of others in one of the families. 

After that, we read Solaris (Stanislaw Lem).  My partner had seen the George Clooney version of the movie and thought it was intriguing and, although the book is a bit different, we agreed that it also fits that description.  After writing up my little review below, I looked it up on Amazon to try to find a description that provides some context without giving anything away, and I noticed that a reviewer commented that it's good "if you like asking questions more than getting answers."  You'll see that I agree with that! It's described elsewhere as "philosophical science fiction".  I would sum it up as essentially a quest to understand the planet Solaris that scientists are studying in the research station that is stationed above the planet.  I thought most of the book (which is not very long) was creepy and dreadful in a good way.  There is clearly something going on, and it's fun to speculate about what with all the happenings.  From my point of view, some parts during which historical and geographical aspects are described in really painful detail take away from an otherwise enthralling book.  I am torn on this because I felt that those sections were excruciatingly long compared to the total length of the book and did not seem to contribute much to solving any of the mysteries about what was occurring.  But, I realize that I may have missed key elements, having fallen asleep several times during those parts.  My partner did not identify anything important, but I think he also felt that those parts (though few) were quite a slog.  We also agreed that the book did not seem to wrap up in a satisfying way.  Again, this may be due to being used to books that at least attempt to tie up loose ends.  Here, there were a number of threads of interest and questions raised throughout the book that were not solved or answered, as far as I could tell.  There were some fairly thought-provoking discussions of humanity, intelligence, and relationships but, again, I wasn't sure they went anywhere at the end.  Still, I appreciate books that stoke that desire to hash out our thoughts in detail and try to figure out what might be meant by what.  Partner and I had different takes on some of it, so we got some good debates out of it.  It's hard to tell sometimes whether an author meant to leave things a certain way or just ran out of steam, or who knows what. 

Now we are reading Empire Falls (Richard Russo), which won the Pulitzer and was apparently written between the two previous books of his we'd read (Nobody's Fool and follow up Everybody's Fool).  I'd guess we're about 3/4 of the way through.  It reminds me very much of Nobody's Fool in terms of the setting (town based around some industry that has dried up, college/rival town nearby) and some of the character types and lifestyle fixtures (the local bars everyone goes to, the diner everyone eats at).  I loved Nobody's Fool, and I am anxious to see how this story turns out.  It has been hard to put this book down.  I think Russo has a great ability to write about scenes in a way that is matter-of-fact, dry, and absurdist... completely hilarious (my kind of humor).  The other night we were up way too late reading and had tears streaming from the laughter about one particular section.  While these kinds of scenes and depictions have come up several times in the books of his we've read, he is also very good (I think) about subtly painting characters a little more deeply and a little more deeply during a book.  They start out almost as stereotypes, but they get layered as time goes on, and I find myself really drawn to a number of them and caring about how things play out for them (and, there are some really unlikable folks, of course).  There are a couple little mysteries going on that I am impatient to find out the answers to.  We still have a ways to go, but that is my report so far. 

Just figured I'd bump the thread up.  It's interesting to see what everyone's reading.

scamp

Quote from: ab_grp on September 24, 2019, 12:38:56 PM

Now we are reading Empire Falls (Richard Russo), which won the Pulitzer and was apparently written between the two previous books of his we'd read (Nobody's Fool and follow up Everybody's Fool).  I'd guess we're about 3/4 of the way through.  It reminds me very much of Nobody's Fool in terms of the setting (town based around some industry that has dried up, college/rival town nearby) and some of the character types and lifestyle fixtures (the local bars everyone goes to, the diner everyone eats at).  I loved Nobody's Fool, and I am anxious to see how this story turns out.  It has been hard to put this book down.  I think Russo has a great ability to write about scenes in a way that is matter-of-fact, dry, and absurdist... completely hilarious (my kind of humor).  The other night we were up way too late reading and had tears streaming from the laughter about one particular section.  While these kinds of scenes and depictions have come up several times in the books of his we've read, he is also very good (I think) about subtly painting characters a little more deeply and a little more deeply during a book.  They start out almost as stereotypes, but they get layered as time goes on, and I find myself really drawn to a number of them and caring about how things play out for them (and, there are some really unlikable folks, of course).  There are a couple little mysteries going on that I am impatient to find out the answers to.  We still have a ways to go, but that is my report so far. 

I just watched the Empire Falls miniseries with Ed Harris on Amazon Prime recently. I am intrigued to read the book now as it does take a sudden turn and I am wondering how that is treated in the book. Also there are lots of characters and I think many probably get short shrift in a TV movie, even in mini-series format like this.

ab_grp

Quote from: scamp on September 24, 2019, 01:35:50 PM

I just watched the Empire Falls miniseries with Ed Harris on Amazon Prime recently. I am intrigued to read the book now as it does take a sudden turn and I am wondering how that is treated in the book. Also there are lots of characters and I think many probably get short shrift in a TV movie, even in mini-series format like this.

There are a couple story arcs going on in the book that I fear may take turns in ways that I wouldn't hope for.  One in particular concerns a character who clearly has some issues.  I am hoping the character turns out to have a good resolution, but my partner thinks it will end up quite poorly, and I am starting to think he might be right.  I would like to see the miniseries and how all of these characters and situations are handled.  There is so much subtlety to the storytelling that it seems as though it would be a challenge to really get across some of the depth.  However, partner saw the movie Nobody's Fool with Paul Newman and loved it and thought it was very well done despite not being quite as good as the book (which he read later).  Some of the choices of actors were particularly spot on and memorable in their roles, in his opinion.  A few important aspects were changed in the movie, though.  At least it seems that a mini-series might have more room to explore things than a movie, but there are examples supporting and refuting this idea.  I would love to know what you think if you read it!

Puget

Quote from: ab_grp on September 24, 2019, 01:56:32 PM

There are a couple story arcs going on in the book that I fear may take turns in ways that I wouldn't hope for.  One in particular concerns a character who clearly has some issues.  I am hoping the character turns out to have a good resolution, but my partner thinks it will end up quite poorly, and I am starting to think he might be right.  I would like to see the miniseries and how all of these characters and situations are handled.  There is so much subtlety to the storytelling that it seems as though it would be a challenge to really get across some of the depth.  However, partner saw the movie Nobody's Fool with Paul Newman and loved it and thought it was very well done despite not being quite as good as the book (which he read later).  Some of the choices of actors were particularly spot on and memorable in their roles, in his opinion.  A few important aspects were changed in the movie, though.  At least it seems that a mini-series might have more room to explore things than a movie, but there are examples supporting and refuting this idea.  I would love to know what you think if you read it!
I won't give anything away except to say you are indeed in for some swerves.
I too love Russo-- he's a master at characters and story telling. If you haven't already, read Straight Man next-- it's an academic novel, and one of his funniest I think. I also love That Old Cape Magic.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

ab_grp

Quote from: Puget on September 24, 2019, 03:57:48 PM
Quote from: ab_grp on September 24, 2019, 01:56:32 PM

I won't give anything away except to say you are indeed in for some swerves.
I too love Russo-- he's a master at characters and story telling. If you haven't already, read Straight Man next-- it's an academic novel, and one of his funniest I think. I also love That Old Cape Magic.

Thanks for the confirmation about what may be coming up.  Given some clues so far, I am really anxious to find out what the deal is.  I want to speed up the reading but also savor it, alas.  What a good dilemma to have.  And thanks for the recommendations (have put them firmly on the list)! I have enjoyed his books so much, probably more solidly throughout the three books that we've read/are reading than for any other author, and I have some favorite authors.  It's nice to know that there are still yet more of his that are worth the read! Each time we read another I wonder if this is it, the last good one.  Surely, there can't be more.  This is very exciting.   I wish I had come across his books years ago.

ergative

I went through a huge Russo phase some years ago, and the similarities of settings, lifestyle fixtures, and character types that you noticed, ab_grp, are in all of the books. They are all set in a decaying New England town where the industry is gone but left behind carcinogenic pollution, and there's a wise-cracking cynic who's kind of an asshole, in many cases because some interaction of economic and family pressures meant that he had to give up his prospects for a better future away from the town. I remember loving Straight Man when I first read it, but on re-reading I decided that the wise-cracking cynic was too much of an asshole. One thing I liked about Nobody's Fool is that our wise-cracking cynical asshole is constantly being called out and criticized for his assholery, which doesn't happen in Straight Man.

I also remember putting down Empire Falls and thinking what an astonishingly depressing book it was, but then I was a junior in college at the time, and probably too young for many of the points about disappointment and compromise to resonate properly.

Of all of Russo's books, I think I liked Nobody's Fool the best. The ending was really satisfying.