News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

I'm so sorry to hear all of this Fishprof.... but, yes, ice cream can definitely help. Wishing MFP a speedy recovery.

FishProf

I love Ice Cream.  Not enough to do that AGAIN.

Thanks for all positive wishes.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

downer

Quiz

Adminstrator X sends an email to everyone saying "A/C is not working in building Z" with all recipients listed in the email. Of course, no one has any intention of leaving their home, so no one cares.

Someone Y "replies-all" saying "Thanks for the info!".

Who is the biggest loser? X or Y?

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

evil_physics_witchcraft

Why are you wasting my time? Do you not understand the purpose of turnitin.com? Did you think that I wouldn't notice that you have a 65% match with another student on your lab reports?

Waste. of. time.

bio-nonymous

Could your College's administration please stop making far more stringent and arbitrary covid19 rules than the rest of the university? It is driving me crazy trying to navigate your inane rules when everyone else says to do something else.

mamselle

Quote from: downer on July 23, 2020, 06:00:58 PM
Quiz

Adminstrator X sends an email to everyone saying "A/C is not working in building Z" with all recipients listed in the email. Of course, no one has any intention of leaving their home, so no one cares.

Someone Y "replies-all" saying "Thanks for the info!".

Who is the biggest loser? X or Y?

The biggest loser is all the people on the reply-all list who had to open, read, and then delete the exchange.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

Follow up.  Smolt negative.  MFP negative.  I'm still waiting for official news but how can I not be negative too?
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

ab_grp

Quote from: FishProf on July 25, 2020, 07:08:36 AM
Follow up.  Smolt negative.  MFP negative.  I'm still waiting for official news but how can I not be negative too?

That's great news so far and very promising! My fingers and etc. will remain crossed until you find out for sure.

Larimar

Glad to hear it, FishProf.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Great news!

the_geneticist

Sounds like this calls for more ice cream!

OneMoreYear

TIIC at my Uni are closing our building, theoretically to save costs. We are being relocated to temporary diggs for an indeterminate amount of time. The initial plan was a staggered move with a deadline to be out of the building by the end of the calendar year.  Now, in their infinite wisdom, they have decided that the best time for faculty and staff to completely relocate is . . .  at the beginning of fall semester! New tentative deadline----September 1st.  Frack.   I need ice-cream.  And wine.

histchick

I am angry and scared.  I am in a "red zone" state, and the numbers are climbing.  Yet, my system is bound and determined that we're having in-person classes.  I really thought they would have gone virtual for fall semester.  This is insanity, and my colleagues are frightened.  When the science instructors are saying that this isn't a great idea, one tends to believe them. 

mythbuster

Do other folks have totally incompetent people running their campus bookstore, or is it just us? I just found out today- from a student, that the bookstore lists NO books for one of my Fall courses. For one of the books, we are using (first time) one of these inclusive access deals, so I thought that might be why. But they should still have the listing for print custom lab manual that can ONLY be bought at the bookstore.
   But no! A later student email reveals that the inclusive access site says that my students are not enrolled in an eligible course. This after multiple emails from the bookstore about how it was all set up and what instructions to give the students.
    Now I would be more forgiving, if I don't have some sort of issue of this type with he bookstore EVERY semester. They seem incapable of ordering the correct books, or enough of them, and then seem shocked when there are issues.  And these same people have worked at the bookstore for several years now, so it's not due to turnover.

I really wish we could dump them as a whole. I just don't see what benefit the Uni gets from having them. An amazon outlet would have lower markup and better customer service.

downer

Quote from: mythbuster on August 03, 2020, 12:03:35 PM
Do other folks have totally incompetent people running their campus bookstore, or is it just us? I just found out today- from a student, that the bookstore lists NO books for one of my Fall courses. For one of the books, we are using (first time) one of these inclusive access deals, so I thought that might be why. But they should still have the listing for print custom lab manual that can ONLY be bought at the bookstore.
   But no! A later student email reveals that the inclusive access site says that my students are not enrolled in an eligible course. This after multiple emails from the bookstore about how it was all set up and what instructions to give the students.
    Now I would be more forgiving, if I don't have some sort of issue of this type with he bookstore EVERY semester. They seem incapable of ordering the correct books, or enough of them, and then seem shocked when there are issues.  And these same people have worked at the bookstore for several years now, so it's not due to turnover.

I really wish we could dump them as a whole. I just don't see what benefit the Uni gets from having them. An amazon outlet would have lower markup and better customer service.

This has been my experience at a lot of places. These days I email the students info about the book I'm using, with an ISBN and info about whether they need to get an access code with it from the publisher.

Some students apparently have special arrangements and have to get their books through the bookstore.  I also try to make the book unnecessary in the first 3 weeks, but that is not always possible.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis