News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Preparing for Coronavirus?

Started by Cheerful, February 25, 2020, 09:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

I dont remember my formula, but doesnt
a bit of straw, a little rice and an old shirt create mice? 
wont mice feed cats?
I know that you have enough rice!!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mamselle

Quote from: clean on October 28, 2020, 05:37:21 PM
I dont remember my formula, but doesnt
a bit of straw, a little rice and an old shirt create mice? 
wont mice feed cats?
I know that you have enough rice!!

Dr. Spinoza, I presume?

;--》

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

spork

What say the fora: should I buy a pulse oximeter? If my wife leaves as planned for an international trip, I might be by myself for as long as three months. If I get symptoms of Covid-19, I should try to recuperate at home for as long as I can safely do so. A pulse oximeter could come in handy. On the other hand, I hate buying stuff that I rarely or never use, even if it's only $25.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

mamselle

Buy it.

It's re-useable, and you can donate it to an undeserved community's healthcare service if you later don't need it.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

the_geneticist

The local grocery store has a huge display of holiday baking ingredients: flour, sugar, marzipan, yeast, canned pumpkin, etc.
That would have been mobbed by shoppers just a few months ago!
The only real gaps in the inventory are certain name brand cleaning products.  The only restriction on quantities is for cleaning supplies; no more limits on eggs or toilet paper or meat or milk.
I'm guessing that whole frozen turkeys will be super cheap this year.  Fewer big gatherings + no buffets open = low demand for an entire bird.
Too bad that neither of us really cares for turkey.

mamselle

Quote from: the_geneticist on November 05, 2020, 09:23:27 AM
The local grocery store has a huge display of holiday baking ingredients: flour, sugar, marzipan, yeast, canned pumpkin, etc.
That would have been mobbed by shoppers just a few months ago!
The only real gaps in the inventory are certain name brand cleaning products.  The only restriction on quantities is for cleaning supplies; no more limits on eggs or toilet paper or meat or milk.
I'm guessing that whole frozen turkeys will be super cheap this year.  Fewer big gatherings + no buffets open = low demand for an entire bird.
Too bad that neither of us really cares for turkey.

Sounds like an opportunity for homeless feeding programs to get folks to donate oven-time to baking turkeys, cutting them up, and freezing them for use in the next couple weeks: turkey soup, sandwiches, and casseroles are all possible menu items in those settings.

I might suggest it to one group I know of...thanks for the idea!

M.

spork

The state government is ratcheting up restrictions on businesses because of the increase in coronavirus cases; however, these restrictions seem designed for ineffectiveness. For example, mandating that restaurants close late at night long after usual dinner service time isn't going to do much to reduce exposure risk.

I suspect though that in a few weeks gyms, restaurants, bars, etc. will be ordered to completely close like happened during the spring.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

alto_stratus

I thought the same thing, Spork, but my spouse thinks the early closures cut down on the drinking & partying crowd. Here, the 20-40 crowd has the biggest increase in cases.

We have limits on paper towels (one multi-pack) and bottles of water. I haven't seen too many other limits; but various news outlets have said they're coming, along with shortages. I've been stocking up a little on the products I wouldn't want to do without - clear hand soap, soft kleenex, good TP. I'm down to my last 24 roles of the 'professional' TP I bought in April, and looking forward to something nice again, so I'm getting it now. If I run out of at the holidays and there's a shortage and I have to buy rugged TP again, I'll be sad.

I hope Blake's pot pies puts some of that extra turkey to good use. 

Spork, if it makes the purchase more worthwhile, a pulse oximeter is good for measuring your pulse if you're working out at home, too. And it can come in handy with other respiratory illnesses. Sometimes, I'm just glad to see that 99%.

spork

I received my pulse oximeter. So far the readings have been consistent, so I'm taking that as a sign that the device is reliable.

Still no N95 masks available.

I would not be surprised if some businesses are ordered to shut down completely in another few weeks. The recent surge in cases is worse that what happened earlier in the year.

Langue_doc

Shutdowns are probably imminent. This would be a good time to stock up on everything.

Here is Fauci's warning: https://nypost.com/2020/11/13/anthony-faucis-new-covid-19-guidance-do-what-youre-told/

downer

Quote from: Langue_doc on November 13, 2020, 11:10:55 AM
Shutdowns are probably imminent. This would be a good time to stock up on everything.

Here is Fauci's warning: https://nypost.com/2020/11/13/anthony-faucis-new-covid-19-guidance-do-what-youre-told/

Shutdowns? As opposed to lockdowns?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Langue_doc

hmaria1609

The local Costco in my town has posted a board of things out of stock again. It's mostly cleaning wipes and such. They've added an extra sign or two related to holiday shopping.
Guess I'lll start getting my stash of Christmas candy together...

pgher

A friend of mine in Ohio was mad that the governor isn't doing enough, just threatening to do more if the situation doesn't improve. Given the incubation period, things are just going to get worse. But I think he's giving himself political cover. "I tried, but you people aren't responding, so we need to shut things down more." Probably a similar dynamic elsewhere.

spork

Quote from: hmaria1609 on November 13, 2020, 07:10:48 PM
The local Costco in my town has posted a board of things out of stock again. It's mostly cleaning wipes and such. They've added an extra sign or two related to holiday shopping.
Guess I'lll start getting my stash of Christmas candy together...

I went to the local membership club today to pick up a month's worth of eggs, another 25 pounds of flour, etc. I walked past the toilet paper section -- shelves were totally bare.

State-run coronavirus testing sites are not able to keep up with demand. CVS sites are always fully booked. I'm guessing this is in part due to people wanting to get tested before Thanksgiving travel. I think the governor will issue a stay at home order and business closures right after the holiday, but not before.