News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Look! A bird!

Started by professor_pat, May 31, 2019, 11:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catherder

I've been wondering since last spring what baby mourning doves look like. Now there are 2 perched outside my window preening. Adult colouring, but fuzzy with much shorter tails.

nebo113

Wrens have hatched.  Cant see them, but they are letting their parents know they are hungry!

cathwen

Some little Carolina wrens graced our patio yesterday, noisily demanding food!  Mom and Dad did not come right away, so the little wrens flew away to some nearby bushes.

nebo113

Quote from: cathwen on July 11, 2020, 08:39:59 AM
Some little Carolina wrens graced our patio yesterday, noisily demanding food!  Mom and Dad did not come right away, so the little wrens flew away to some nearby bushes.

It is amazing that such loud screeches emit from those little bodies!

apl68

Before the day's heat
Birds pass through the morning light
Their wings splashed with gold
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

evil_physics_witchcraft

We've had a couple of Ruby-throated hummingbirds at the feeder lately. I think I may put in a second feeder since we've had such a problem with bees/wasps chasing the hummers. No problems with ants since we have an ant moat.

nebo113

Quote from: apl68 on July 21, 2020, 07:55:32 AM
Before the day's heat
Birds pass through the morning light
Their wings splashed with gold

Smiling.....

Catherder

For the past week or so a pair of mute swans has been visiting the lakeshore in front of my house. This year is the first time they've brought the kids-- 3 brown cygnets and one white one. The white cygnet surprised me, but a little research suggested that although rare, mute swan cygnets can be white. They are called "Polish" while the brown are called "Royal".

Who knew?

apl68

I just read an article about how two species of migratory birds--roseate spoonbills and white-faced ibis--have just been confirmed nesting in our state.  They've never been recorded doing so before.  Another case of climate and habitat change altering migratory and nesting patterns.

nebo113

Wrens have hatched so I can move my stationary bicycle to that end of the porch.  I do miss their mad "feed me" chirpings and the parents shrill warnings to "back off."

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

cathwen

mamselle

Yeah, the colors, especially.

Those tertiaries just get to me....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Ruby-throated hummingbirds have been buzzing around the feeder. A male showed up a few days ago and I think he's wooing one or both of the females I've seen around it.

apl68

I've begun walking around the pond at the park regularly for the first time since March.  The herons are still there.  I also heard some little wood ducks on the isolated end of the pond.