News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Cancelled classes due to coronavirus

Started by doc700, March 07, 2020, 03:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc700

I heard Stanford just cancelled all in person classes through the end of their winter term.  Our campus has a semester schedule but we seem on the verge of cancelling in person classes -- we've been asked to submit plans as to how we would manage without class meetings.  All travel, conferences, seminar speakers and our upcoming grad student recruitment have been cancelled.

What is the status on your campus?

Does anyone have a suggestion for teaching a collaborative science course online?

clean

QuoteWhat is the status on your campus?
We are on Spring Break.
I suppose that we will learn more in 2 weeks, once people are back.  I suspect that the CV19 symptoms will spike around test time (as does the mortality of grandparents seems to spike).

We have had at least 2 emails from the president (likely from the system offices) that we are restricting travels to anyplace that may have the virus. There was one email about quarantines.  IF the travel was related to approved travel before March 6, then 'emergency leave' would be approved. Otherwise (if you traveled on your own authority/dime), if you can not be moved to 'work from home', you must take other leave, except you can not take 'sick leave' unless you are actually sick.

We are in a hurricane zone so all classes are supposed to have a presence on Blackboard and be ready/able to implement the Continuity Plan to go online. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

KiUlv

All of our in-person classes have been cancelled through the end of Winter term as well. We are to do as much online as possible. Travel is cancelled. Regular campus business is still happening (they only cancelled classes because of the larger gatherings of people), but with online options for faculty and staff who need to stay home.

sinenomine

We're on break this coming week. The administration is concerned about a possible spread of illness with our students traveling during the break, and other schools in the area are thinking the same way. My school is considering the logistics of shifting to all online classes if need be, but hasn't mandated it at this point; they did cancel the school-sponsored trip that would have been happening now.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

spork

I think the panic response will kick in at some universities in the second week of classes after spring break. Infected but asymptomatic students will have returned to campus and since the serial interval between Covid-19 cases is estimated at 4-5 days, signs that contagion has spread will appear in week 2. Guess what? 99.99% of the time this will actually be from the usual germs students return to campus with -- mild respiratory infections, 24-48 hour GI tract infections, etc. But as soon as a few students display symptoms like fever, cough, etc., parents are going to yank Zachary and Madison back home. With class attendance steadily dropping, administrators will close the campus "out of an abundance of caution."
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

HigherEd7

Quote from: clean on March 07, 2020, 06:14:45 PM
We are on Spring Break.
I suppose that we will learn more in 2 weeks, once people are back.  I suspect that the CV19 symptoms will spike around test time (as does the mortality of grandparents seems to spike).

We have had at least 2 emails from the president (likely from the system offices) that we are restricting travels to anyplace that may have the virus. There was one email about quarantines.  IF the travel was related to approved travel before March 6, then 'emergency leave' would be approved. Otherwise (if you traveled on your own authority/dime), if you can not be moved to 'work from home', you must take other leave, except you can not take 'sick leave' unless you are actually sick.

We are in a hurricane zone so all classes are supposed to have a presence on Blackboard and be ready/able to implement the Continuity Plan to go online.

Great point! (as does the mortality of grandparents seems to spike).

KiUlv

Quote from: clean on March 07, 2020, 06:14:45 PM
We are on Spring Break.

I live in a highly infected place, and have had a number of students sick over the past few weeks (no more on-campus classes now, as I mentioned above). I don't know if it's an overabundance of caution or people who are taking advantage (I suspect a little of both, depending on the student).

mamselle

An elementary school in my area, where I've subbed in the past, isclosed today for deep cleaning while a decision is made about future plans going forward.

A student's parent attended a conference at which vital transmissions occurred, and has tested presumptively positive.

Two other nearby elementary schools as well as the middle school and high school were also closed for cleaning.

And an in-house conference/speaker series I often attend on Mondays was cancelled since this week's speaker would have been traveling from an area near WDC.

So, micro-closings, as well.

I'm starting to wonder about two larger conferences at which I'm presenting In April and May: will go check their websites now, I think.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

spork

Columbia University is holding all classes online for at least two days. An employee was exposed to the coronavirus.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

doc700

Does anyone have recommendations on how to teach online?  I actually have videos of my lectures from prior years so its easy to give those to students for this year.  I teach an intro science class and a lot of the learning happens during office hours and collaborative sections.  The university has provided online message boards but I don't see how that would work for a subject where we need to discuss equations and diagrams.  Has anyone had luck in science with online interactions?

nescafe

It's looking like we might also cancel classes, though nothing has formally been mandated by our admins yet. I'm also in CA.

the_geneticist

Our Provost has asked us to "consider" how we could move classes to online if needed and to have our class materials posted on Blackboard (syllabus, slides, readings, etc.).  Campus is still open, no classes cancelled as of today.
This is the last week of instruction before our finals week.

mamselle

There is one thread on the transfer of classes to online modalities already running (among the, what, now 6? threads I see on this virus.....)

Rather than start yet another thread, could someone index it? (I can't at the moment)

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

spork

Not step-by-step directions for moving courses online, but what needs to be considered if one is trying to prepare for this type of disruption: http://activelearningps.com/2020/03/09/simulating-for-instructional-continuity/.

Wahoo Redux

Apparently there was talk among administrators today about moving everything online for the remainder of the semester.  No official word yet.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.