News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Gardeners: how's it looking?

Started by polly_mer, June 12, 2019, 06:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archaeo42

We have had a lot of rain this year which apparently the mint loves. I have never seen it this tall. I'm looking for suggestions on uses besides my usual watermelon/feta/mint salad and mojitos.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

namazu

Quote from: archaeo42 on June 28, 2019, 07:11:26 AM
We have had a lot of rain this year which apparently the mint loves. I have never seen it this tall. I'm looking for suggestions on uses besides my usual watermelon/feta/mint salad and mojitos.
Our mint is loving it, too.

We use a version of this chutney in a coconut milk-based chicken curry, but it's also good as a dipping sauce (go light on the cumin):
https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/mint-coriander-chutney-recipe/

Here's the NYT's Lebanese tabbouleh recipe (tastes best when you let it sit for a bit so the flavors can meld; we omit the garlic): https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1012585-lebanese-tabbouleh

We also brew a lot of mint iced tea.  Harvest several springs, bruise them up a bit to release the minty oils, and then throw them into the pot of water as it's heating up.

Thursday's_Child

Garden is weeded and mulched, peas are planted, radishes and greens should be planted this afternoon, tomatoes and peppers have been started indoors.  It's been a really mild winter, but I'm not ruling out another round of freezing weather this month.

paultuttle

Our camellias bloomed last week, our azaleas just burst forth over the past few days, and our daffodils are continuing (they started two weeks ago).

Most flowering trees are showing their best and brightest colors at the moment, and most leaves have unfurled. Birds are waking us up in the mornings, squirrels are playing everywhere, and ants are trying again to establish a foothold in our kitchen.

Spring has definitely sprung.

spork

Question for experienced gardeners: after a year's hiatus, I plan on trying to grow some vegetables again. I've never had great results and am wondering about soil pH. Do those pH testing devices (the ones with two metal probes you stick in the dirt) sold on Amazon actually work? I know the right thing to do is send a soil sample to a lab, but I suspect my state's agricultural extension service is not operating at full capacity right now and I don't want to wait three months for test results.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

mamselle

(Not knowing...)

Could you just put a piece of litmus paper in the soil for a bit, take it out, and see what it says?

Of course, finding litmus paper might be like looking for TP at the moment...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Antiphon1

Those soil tests on Amazon do work. 

The real catch is diagnosing the composition of your soil.  You may want to look into any Master Gardener clubs in your area.  They can guide you as to the best methods for amending/preparing the soil in your area. I'd try to see if one of the club members would be willing to look at photos of the area or be willing to chat with you on the phone so they can get a better idea about the conditions you are working with. 

polly_mer

Quote from: spork on March 23, 2020, 08:27:44 AM
I suspect my state's agricultural extension service is not operating at full capacity right now

People might still be doing work from home available by phone or email through the extension as well as any Master Gardener clubs as Antiphon1 suggests.  I'm told part of the "fun" here is so many microclimates that soil quality alone is insufficient to get good results for common vegetables.  I was told to mistrust the standard recommendations based on geographical areas that don't take into account our changes in elevation and oddities related to wind/water local movement.  We even have observable fun with the snow all gone from soil patches that get sun during the day and big mounds of snow remaining in shady spots.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

spork

All regional soil testing labs are completely closed because of the pandemic, so I bought a soil testing kit. pH is 6.0 - 6.5, which is ok for most vegetables, phosphorus is normal, but nitrogen and potash are depleted. So I'll be buying some fertilizers.

It was fun running chemical tests using little vials, reagents, soil, and water.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: spork on April 14, 2020, 10:25:23 AM
All regional soil testing labs are completely closed because of the pandemic, so I bought a soil testing kit. pH is 6.0 - 6.5, which is ok for most vegetables, phosphorus is normal, but nitrogen and potash are depleted. So I'll be buying some fertilizers.

It was fun running chemical tests using little vials, reagents, soil, and water.

<smiles happily>

polly_mer

Blocky planted his tomato plants outside yesterday.  So far, so good when Blocky checked on them this morning to start the summer watering schedule.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Puget

I got all my veggie starts planted out this weekend since it FINALLY got warm enough-- 5 tomatoes, 2 peppers, 3 zucchinis, 3 cucumbers, snap peas, bush beans, basil. I still want to plant greens from seed, and some more herbs when I can get starts. I also found some potatoes in the back of the cabinet that are wanting to grow so I've set those out to hopefully start sprouting and will then cut them up and plant them.

This is a new gardening climate for me (bought the house last summer too late to grow anything), so it's all a bit of an experiment, but its a good summer for it since I most likely won't be going anywhere.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Parasaurolophus

Can't say as I call myself a gardener, but I planted some old potatoes, and they're doing fine. Carrots are coming up, and the cat grass is massive. As for the rest, I think I have some kale and peppers coming up, but I couldn't say. Or maybe one of 'em's squash?

No sign of the sunflowers yet.
I know it's a genus.

archaeo42

I started tomatoes, squash, and some herbs from seed this year - and a bit late too. The squash is looking like it could be transplanted soon. I need to move the tomato seedlings to some larger pots for now. The herbs, who knows? The basil and tarragon don't look like they're doing much. Some of the dill has started to get tiny fronds. I also had no idea how delicate dill was when I ordered the seeds so hopefully it makes it.

I also picked up some eggplant at a local garden center. I've been hardening those off and they can be planted today or tomorrow.

I've also started using my lettuce ends (two romaine, one butter lettuce) as starters. The romaine are set in small cups of water, waiting for roots to show. The butter lettuce is the farthest along but I think it may need to stay potted indoors. Even in shade it seems to droop when outside. I'm hoping the romaine does better.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

mamselle

I've started carrots and potatoes before, but I didn't realize you could do the green-and-leafy's that way as well!

You learn something new everyday...!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.