Work-sprint for dreaded tasks and to-do list wrangling thread

Started by bioteacher, June 15, 2019, 05:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fast_and_bulbous

I abso-friggin-lutely need to write that one invited paper I've gotten two extensions on already by the end of the month... really end of next week because of impending camping trip which can't be pushed back more than a few days.

I will lock myself in in my office and just write it. There is no other option.
I wake up every morning with a healthy dose of analog delay

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 16, 2019, 10:26:49 AM

Over the weekend:

• Mark the final exams.
  • Manually enter the grades for every assignment... twice... *cough* *splutter* agh wtf argh! (this has to be on Monday, though)
  • Revise and submit a third article.

And by the end of August:

• Finish migrating content from postdoc email to new email
  • Clear out the new inbox, which already has pages and pages of emails.

Well. Win some, lose some. As long as that article's done by the end of the month, really.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Stuck. Need to do more.

Will try tonight...

1 more French and
2 Latin translations to do for friend.

French - 4/5 done, my later cafe is now closing, more at home... First pass on full text done, need to look up oddities.
Latin 1
Latin 2

Go!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 18, 2019, 05:18:53 PM

Over the weekend:

• Mark the final exams.
  • Manually enter the grades for every assignment... twice... *cough* *splutter* agh wtf argh! (this has to be on Monday, though)

Why do we have to do it that way? Nobody knows, but the groans and moans from new faculty offices today sure sounded like the zombie apocalypse.

One to go! I had tea this morning, so I might just be good to get the last item pretty much done today, too. Let's see.
I know it's a genus.

Bede the Vulnerable

Quote from: bioteacher on August 17, 2019, 01:20:01 PM
Welcome, Bede. We don't expect humor here. This thread is about getting crap done.

Thanks for the welcome, bioteacher!

As for getting crap done, I'm super awesome at doing crap.
Of making many books there is no end;
And much study is a weariness of the flesh.

fast_and_bulbous

Abstract, introduction, and first section pretty much done, albeit with a lot of heavy editing and adding references later. Tomorrow I write about stuff I've working on for over a decade, should be a piece of cake, yeah, right.

bioteacher

I might get more stuff done if I wasn't spending so much time in the car. I'm glad Bioett has friends and gets to see them. But I am getting tired of driving so much to pick her up and bring her home.
Tomorrow: Call 2 places about appointment I need to make.

mamselle

1 more French - done and sent, and it sounds like it's on track.
0 Latin translations to do -- friend doesn't need those...

Whew.

Ok, back to my regularly-scheduled "other work," which is somewhat done, but not as much as I'd like.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

fast_and_bulbous

Quote from: fast_and_bulbous on August 17, 2019, 02:01:18 PM
I abso-friggin-lutely need to write that one invited paper I've gotten two extensions on already by the end of the month... really end of next week because of impending camping trip which can't be pushed back more than a few days.

And that is what I did. Unfortunately worked over the weekend but it was submitted Saturday. Now to get ready for that conference in Italy (sucks to be me)...

polly_mer

Quote from: polly_mer on August 14, 2019, 04:51:42 AM
* Do whatever is necessary (within the bounds of legal, ethical, and moral) to get that simulation set running to produce useful data.  Phone a friend.  Poll the audience.  Go visit every office of everyone who works on this code who might know the magical incantations.  Get it running!

Those simulations are running and producing useful data.

Next up: Write the doggone report using those data and it has to be done this week.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 19, 2019, 04:09:19 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 18, 2019, 05:18:53 PM

Over the weekend:

• Mark the final exams.

Finally got it done. Sheesh.
I know it's a genus.

fast_and_bulbous

Quote from: fast_and_bulbous on August 17, 2019, 02:01:18 PM

Update: Paper was written, reviewed, and is now actually published and available to the world. From conception to publication in six weeks. I love open access journals.

polly_mer

To get paid, I have to work from home and get deliverables done.  Reviving this thread for the support group for others in that boat.

This morning:

• Find out what functions have to go in the script.

• Write the script to extract the data.

• Put the data into a useful table.

• Send the table to colleague who needs it

Go!
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mamselle

Thanks for digging out this thread.

I need it, too.

Job: Minutes: 3 check-ins on inaudible voices and their content from the tape (1 today, maybe?)
                          Finish those, send out final version with Action Items; maybe term limits protocol page
                          More work on financials, list exceptions, request missing backup, enter and link

My real work: Keep tracking missing 18th c. documents for gravestone paper #1; find, finish, send.
                         Finish downloading photos from trip: file, sort, and insert in pprs and Ppts as needed
                         Finish St. Michel Chapel ppr, send for friends' comments, incorporate, revise, send out
                         Block out writing time for longer projects; triage, get order and planning firmly in mind

Teaching: Do a 6-months plan w/students, parents: create a "contract" so all agree on goals, strategies, methods.
                   Figure out more online options, get all music together, get more lighting so I'm not a "Zoombie"!

Life: Clean, clear, room at a time, day at a time.

M.

Parasaurolophus

For today:

• Evaluate editorial candidates.
  • Record lecture. Two if I'm feeling good.
  • Check chapter proofs.
  • Upholster cat shelf.
I know it's a genus.