News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneMoreYear

Ricochet got her head caught in a paper bag handle (I know, bad cat servants!) while I was teaching today. She zoomed through the house banging into things and dragging the bag. I had to stop class and go find her. Luckily she jumped on top of the bed instead of cowering under it, so I freed her quickly from offending bag.  All was then well, and she groomed herself to soothe from the trauma.  Luckily, my students have been mostly amused by cat antics while I am teaching (both cats like the doc cam and have shown up in videos).  I wonder if comments about my cats will show up in my evals.

Puget

Quote from: OneMoreYear on October 22, 2020, 04:02:38 PM
Luckily, my students have been mostly amused by cat antics while I am teaching (both cats like the doc cam and have shown up in videos).  I wonder if comments about my cats will show up in my evals.

I've incorporated mine -- each online lesson ends with a picture of one of the cats "saying" something to the class-- sometimes related to the topic of the week, sometimes reminding them of something coming up. I added a free bonus point question to the end of the first exam about it:

Why does Prof. Puget have cats at the end of each online lesson?
A. Why are you asking this? Of course there should be more cats in everything!
B. Her (perhaps lame) attempt to add something light to our weeks
C. She is secretly biased against dogs.
D. More research is needed to test these theories.

Over half the class chose A. The rest were split. I invited the C people to send me pictures of their dogs to include at the end of upcoming lessons (only one has so far). Those who answered D are now my favorites (don't tell the others), as they are clearly the true nerds.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

onehappyunicorn

Ricochet got her head caught in a paper bag handle (I know, bad cat servants!) while I was teaching today. She zoomed through the house banging into things and dragging the bag. I had to stop class and go find her. Luckily she jumped on top of the bed instead of cowering under it, so I freed her quickly from offending bag.  All was then well, and she groomed herself to soothe from the trauma.  Luckily, my students have been mostly amused by cat antics while I am teaching (both cats like the doc cam and have shown up in videos).  I wonder if comments about my cats will show up in my evals.

Our cat Hazel is totally in love with bags, especially plastic ones. She has caught the bag around her neck three or four times now and she freaks out every time. She's cute but a bit dopey that way.

the_geneticist

Izzy kitten got stuck her head stuck in a bag handle during one of my meetings, ran around the house in a terrified sprint, and mushed herself as far under the bed as she could go.  I had to pause the meeting the grab her, remove the bag, and let her escape.  She is now scared of paper bags.

clean

Perhaps kitties are reminded (or should be reminded) of the words of Admiral Ackbar "It's a Trap!!"  with regard to the bags that once seemed so fun!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

smallcleanrat

So, I know cats love to stalk and chase because this is how predators play.

But do they also enjoy *being* chased?

When Maestro is in high energy mode, he often sprints away if I move closer to him. Sometimes I think it means that he doesn't want to be bothered, but other times I'm wondering if this is another way he likes to play. If he spots me while playing with his toys, he will bound over and hide somewhere near me, then jump away if I move towards him.

This evening seemed especially like it was a game. I reached to pet him and he bolted under the bed. Thinking he wanted some human-free time, I walked away whereupon he dashed back into the open and ran to my side. I turned to him and he promptly went back under the bed. We did this about a dozen times: every time I move towards him --> under the bed; every time I walk away --> pops out to run after me.

He would occasionally turn his ears sideways or briefly get into the defensive Halloween cat pose, which are things he does when startled or annoyed. But the back-and-forth game we had makes me wonder if this can also be part of play.

Does anyone else play tag with their kitties?

mamselle

I had one that used to play bottle-cap hockey.

She'd bat it all the way down the hall, then turn around and fire it back at me.

I was supposed to (I think) catch it and return it, but I often missed.

No Maple Leafs for me....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

OneMoreYear

Quote from: smallcleanrat on October 24, 2020, 08:47:22 PM

I think I've posted about it up-thread; Ricochet plays a version of chase/tag with us.  She runs to one of her safe petting spots (i.e.., on top of bookshelf, one top of armoire, on top of specific bag in living room, on mat in front of the front door), and she wants you to follow her (she'll look back if she thinks you are not coming).  Then she flops down and wants scritches.  After some quick scritches, she races to the next spot in the game. The game ends when she runs to the basement.  It is one of the main ways she initiates interaction with us.

AmLitHist

ALHS went to sneak an after-supper PB sandwich last night and saw something move in the bread drawer when he opened it.  After emptying drawers, under the sink, etc., he determined it was, indeed a mouse (our first since moving in here 17 years ago this month). 

Little Cat watched him search from a good, safe distance, and when he returned with traps from the dollar store and set one under the sink, she made sure she was clear across the kitchen, then down the hall, just to be extra sure.

Her housemate Fela was sound asleep in the basement the whole time.

I feel so safe with these two fierce cats around.  Pfft.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: OneMoreYear on October 25, 2020, 06:44:49 AM
Quote from: smallcleanrat on October 24, 2020, 08:47:22 PM

I think I've posted about it up-thread; Ricochet plays a version of chase/tag with us.  She runs to one of her safe petting spots (i.e.., on top of bookshelf, one top of armoire, on top of specific bag in living room, on mat in front of the front door), and she wants you to follow her (she'll look back if she thinks you are not coming).  Then she flops down and wants scritches.  After some quick scritches, she races to the next spot in the game. The game ends when she runs to the basement.  It is one of the main ways she initiates interaction with us.

Youngest evil cat lets SO chase her and then hides in a 24 pack soda box. She will then bat at him, or a toy, from inside the box (body inside and arms out the open end [or the side holes]). He then shakes the box a little and she runs around the room again for a bit until she hides in the box again. I'm pretty sure she enjoys this because she will look out the box at us and wait for us to show her a toy so that she can play with it. It's funny and odd.

clean

taking turns 'hunting' can be a game.
I would hide in a door way and peek out periodically like I was stalking him.  You can also freeze when he sees you.  IF you get closer you can rock on your feet, like he will twich his back legs before a jump.

However, you may want your SO to play this game.  It may be better for you to be 'the lover/protector' and he the rough player.

At least for another six months so that he is less confused.
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

OneMoreYear

Quote from: AmLitHist on October 25, 2020, 07:00:04 AM
ALHS went to sneak an after-supper PB sandwich last night and saw something move in the bread drawer when he opened it.  After emptying drawers, under the sink, etc., he determined it was, indeed a mouse (our first since moving in here 17 years ago this month). 

Little Cat watched him search from a good, safe distance, and when he returned with traps from the dollar store and set one under the sink, she made sure she was clear across the kitchen, then down the hall, just to be extra sure.

Her housemate Fela was sound asleep in the basement the whole time.

I feel so safe with these two fierce cats around.  Pfft.

Ninja and Ricochet would be happy to demonstrate how it's done! We have had several mice quickly dispatched by our two.  Ninja, who is allowed outside occasionally when SO is working in the yard or grilling on the back porch, has even successfully hunted a couple outside mice.  She was not willing to take on the deer, however, despite SO's encouragement.  She and the deer pointedly ignored each other, until the deer apparently got tired of SO yelling at it and bounded over the fence.

onehappyunicorn

Monday morning cat dump cuz I don't want to deal with HR this early. Or ever, actually.
https://imgur.com/gallery/PVpWVlp

Volhiker78

Our older, larger,  tuxedo cat Booboo, often chases our smaller tabby Lilil. At first we worried about this but Lilil is far more athletic and can easily outrun and out jump Booboo.  As long as she is not cornered, we think she likes the chase game since she keeps coming back for more!  She also loves jumping up to a ledge and taunting Booboo by sprawling out with her paws and tail just out of reach - we call this her 'cool as a cucumber' position.

mamselle

Quote from: onehappyunicorn on October 26, 2020, 07:51:02 AM
Monday morning cat dump cuz I don't want to deal with HR this early. Or ever, actually.
https://imgur.com/gallery/PVpWVlp

I'm enchanted!

This thread makes all the other nonsense on the Fora worthwhile...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.