News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Thanksgiving 2020 Plans

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, November 13, 2020, 08:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

A friend and I have been each other's "default Thanksgiving dinner partner" for decades. Sometimes it was at her apartment. Once it was in NYC at the Youth Hostel with a glorious raft of folks making food from all over the world. Lately, it's been at one of the local restaurant venues that do an historic meal.

This year, it will be by Zoom.

No issues, we've done one shared Zoom meal already, and it was fine. I've already got all my stuff together, and she said she's getting hers this week. We'll make food, sit down, eat and talk, be safe and be fine.

I don't want it any other way.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

pgher

My younger kid (Kid2) attends a university that is shutting campus next weekend, so they'll be home. My older kid (Kid1), though, attends a university that is still in session until mid-December. They are allowed to stay until then, but if they leave campus, they can't return. So they're staying on campus until classes are all done. So our family of four will be three for Thanksgiving, plus one via Zoom.

We normally go to my in-laws for Thanksgiving, but they're not having a get-together this year. Last year was the first time my side of the family didn't have a get-together, due to distance.

hmaria1609

No Thanksgiving Day family reunion in southern MA for us this year.  :( I'll miss seeing everyone and the delicious buffet lunch in the kitchen. And desserts in the dining room.

I'll watch the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special in the "Peanuts Deluxe Collection" on DVD.

Sun_Worshiper

We're planning to host my immediate family for a few days... but given the COVID surge in recent weeks I have a feeling that plug will be pulled between now and Thanksgiving.

ohnoes

We're staying home for the first time in a very long time.  We may get fancy and sleep in the guest room.

OneMoreYear

My SO's parents (MIL and FIL) are planning to come to our place, but we'll see what happens with the spikes.

The large Thanksgiving gathering at BIL's is obviously cancelled. We were able to drive up to meet for a brief gathering last month for BIL's and nephew's birthday in which we all social distanced in their yard around a fire pit.   I guess that will be the family gathering on SO's side this year. 

We usually see my parents for the Christmas holiday, but it would require us to fly, and my mother has a chronic illness requiring constant oxygen, so who knows when the next time is that we'll be able to be in person with them.

Volhiker78

We are staying home for Thanksgiving. Usually go to a nice restaurant in the past, but this year, we are picking up a 'heat up later' turkey dinner from local restaurant and staying home. We haven't decided whether we will visit my in-laws for Christmas but if we do, we'll make a long drive as opposed to flying.

lillipat

At home with just my son who's local.  We might or might not have turkey, but that's not a big deal for us, we've had other things in other years.  My brother and SIL and my dad are their own bubble in a nearby city, and daughter and son-in-law are about 6 hours distant, so we'll have 3 "pods" that intend to visit by Zoom at some point.  Then son and I will attempt to find out why the shower is leaking. 

Thanksgiving was a big priority for us in years past.  We used to all assemble at my in-laws on the farm - their family with kids and grandkids, all my close relatives came in as well.  It was seriously a Norman Rockwell extravaganza.  But for a number of years now, we've improvised in various ways, and we're all okay with that too.  The Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special sounds pretty good!

apl68

Quote from: lillipat on November 15, 2020, 05:02:53 PM

Thanksgiving was a big priority for us in years past.  We used to all assemble at my in-laws on the farm - their family with kids and grandkids, all my close relatives came in as well.  It was seriously a Norman Rockwell extravaganza.  But for a number of years now, we've improvised in various ways, and we're all okay with that too.  The Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special sounds pretty good!

I miss the big Thanksgivings that we had at my grandmother's house years ago, when she was still with us.  Maybe that's why I dreamed about her house just last night....

The Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special wasn't their best holiday special, but it's fun.  Especially Snoopy and Woodstock's altercation with the folding table with a mind of its own.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

the_geneticist

Quote from: ohnoes on November 15, 2020, 02:52:58 PM
We're staying home for the first time in a very long time.  We may get fancy and sleep in the guest room.

Haha!  That is awesome!  I feel inspired to put out tiny toiletries in the bathroom and put all the throw pillows on the bed to pretend we're in a hotel.

Langue_doc

I'm going to be missing my usual Thanksgiving and Christmas festivities where I spend the holidays with two different families in two different states.

I'm treating myself to a mini holiday/vacation by staying at a B&B for part of this week. Needless to say, I'm grading and teaching asynchronously, so it isn't really a vacation.

If someone had told me a year ago, or even a few months ago that I'd be happy to see a Christmas tree and a Santa statue a week before Thanksgiving, I would have thought they were nuts. Not so now, as I was quite happy to see the tree.

I don't have the energy to cook this year, so will be looking for the "cooked" fixing at Whole Foods.

fourhats

We're usually with lots of relatives, not at our house anymore, but not this year. Everyone is staying safely at home. Even our son said not to go to them because their kids are in face-to-face/hybrid school and they don't want to expose us to anything. When they were young we always did the full cooking for Thanksgiving, and had family for days. Thanksgiving became nine meals because everyone stayed with us for the entire weekend, including my parents.

Interestingly, only one member of the family even likes turkey. When I was a kid, we always fought over who had to eat the breast of turkey or chicken when the all "good" parts were eaten. Once or twice someone would end up with breast meat on their plate, and just stared sorrowfully down at it. The one year my parents finally made the decision to stop having a turkey, my father won one at work and we had to have one anyway.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on November 15, 2020, 09:00:30 AM
We're planning to host my immediate family for a few days... but given the COVID surge in recent weeks I have a feeling that plug will be pulled between now and Thanksgiving.

And the plug has been pulled

ohnoes

Quote from: the_geneticist on November 16, 2020, 08:57:54 AM
Quote from: ohnoes on November 15, 2020, 02:52:58 PM

Haha!  That is awesome!  I feel inspired to put out tiny toiletries in the bathroom and put all the throw pillows on the bed to pretend we're in a hotel.

That's the idea. We did that during the Spring stay-home and got carryout from places we'd meant to try but hadn't.

mamselle

Don't forget the mint on the pillow.

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.