News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Favorite Books/Favorite Authors [Fiction version]

Started by octoprof, July 02, 2019, 08:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

octoprof

Let's talk about our favorite (fiction) books and authors.

Suggest a book or an author or a series or whatever is on your favorites list that others might enjoy.

I love science fiction and space opera. My favorite is the Vorkosigan series is by Lois McMaster Bujold (first book in reading order is Shards of Honor).

Favorite Books/Favorite Authors [Fiction version]
Welcome your cephalopod overlord.

ergative

Oooh, me too! I find her books like candy: really well written, easy to read, good characterization. I haven't read all the Vorkosigan books, but I've had a good time reading each one individually. BUt the series of hers that I've reread the most is the Sharing Knife series. There's something about the way it lionize the value of mundane nobodies, in contrast to the Chosen One or the Deeds of Royalty and Nobility narratives, that I really like. Also super good on consent issues. There's a great scene where two would-be lovers realize that because of cultural differences each expected the other to make the first move, and then when they finally figure that out and frigging talk to each other they realize they are both totally up for it, and spend the rest of the series having great consensual sex.

Here are a few of my absolute favorite (current) fantasy writers:

Kate Elliott (the epickest of epic fantasy--start with the Cold Fire or the Spirit Gate trilogy)
Kameron Hurley (really gross imaginatively gross squicky gross science fantasy. Have a go starting with The Stars Are Legion)
Naomi Novik (glorious, glorious fairy-tale inspired fantasy. I think her current best book is Spinning Silver, but I thought Uprooted was also superb. Both are standalones)

Sue Burke's Semiosis has really interesting things to say about sentient plants. One of the things I like most about it was how the primary clashes among various species seem to focus on disagreements within species, rather than between species. Basically, the worst things we can do are things we do to ourselves. You can't blame it on the Other.

drbrt

I will second Novik though I would reverse the order on ranking.

I really enjoy Brent Weeks, particularly for The Lightbringer series, which is about to wrap up in October.

Brandon Sanderson, but really only for the first three Mistborn books. I keep reading his other stuff hoping it will be as good as Mistborn.

I also like Patrick Rothfuss, but famously unfinished series are getting harder to recommend. If you do choose to go for it, go with the audiobook. Most of the flaws in the writing go away when it's narrated.

Puget

Richard Russo (always great characters, Straight Man and That Old Cape Magic have academic content foramites might especially enjoy).

Micheal Chabon (likewise great characters and creative plots that play around with genre tropes. I re-read The Yiddish Policeman's Union every few years and it is one of my favorite but have liked all his books).
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

kaysixteen

Harry Turtledove, Robert B. Parker, Tamar Myers, Amanda Flower, PL Gaus, Robert Conroy

Conjugate

Quote from: kaysixteen on July 02, 2019, 09:16:53 PM
Harry Turtledove, Robert B. Parker, Tamar Myers, Amanda Flower, PL Gaus, Robert Conroy

I follow Turtledove on Twitter, and he even liked one of my tweets!

My own "would-buy-anything-by" list includes Jack McDevitt, though mostly his Alex Benedict/Chase Kolpath books. Ann Leckie, author of the Ancillary books and Provenance, is good too. Both of these are good solid science fiction.

Have not yet been disappointed by Neil Gaiman, and his The Ocean at the End of the Lane is next up in my reading pile.
∀ε>0∃δ>0∋|x–a|<δ⇒|ƒ(x)-ƒ(a)|<ε

Sauvignon Blanc

While they're not always of even quality, I'm a big fan of Steven Berry's books.

Also, Mark Schweizer's Liturgical Mysteries are a fun romp.  The last of the series was published recently.

octoprof

Welcome your cephalopod overlord.

Puget

Quote from: Conjugate on July 03, 2019, 08:10:09 AM
pointed by Neil Gaiman, and his The Ocean at the End of the Lane is next up in my reading pile.

Listened to the audio book of this and enjoyed it, though not quite as much as some of his others.

Just finishing the audio book of Smoke, by Dan Vyletta-- you might also like that, sort of similar to some Gaiman.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

RatGuy

Greg Iles, Jim Butcher, Jeff VanderMeer. All for vastly different reasons.

RatSpouse would tell you Barbara Kingsolver, Annie Dillard, Willa Cather, and Jhumpa Lahiri.

clean

Do diet books and cook books count as fiction?  Im not sure that the pictures look anything like what the reality of my cooking can produce. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Vkw10

Lois McMaster Bujold, definitely. I have three copies of every book: print for home, ebook for travel, and audio for long drives. I'm enjoying the novellas she's publishing now, almost as much as her novels. I'm currently listening to Knife Children on morning walks.

Megan Whalen Turner is another slow but excellent writer. Her books are marketed toward children or young adults, but the Attolia books appeal to many Bujold fans.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)