News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Yesterday's LB - I got DAGNAB-BOUTIQUEY. Told you it was a strange one. Lots of Q words - ANTIQUE (and variations) BOUTIQUE, QUOTIDIAN. The hard one was the darn G.

ab_grp

That is an interesting 2fer, ciao_yall! I was lucky to see ANTIQUITY and then had ODGBE, and BODEGA popped right out.  Haven't tried today's yet, or the sudokus.

On the bee front, I got to a bit above Alpha (160, currently), so if I can help anyone, please let me know the best way to do so.  I immediately saw a pangram that it didn't take, but I did get another one.  There are actually a few words that they don't accept that I think should be in there.  Not sure if I'll get to QB, but it's early, so who knows.

ciao_yall

Yeah, I think I have only heard the word DAGNAB maybe 2 or 3 times in my life. I was playing with the LB, got irritated, said dagnab it and then wondered if it was a word.

Today's is plugging along.

SB wouldn't take POPTOP.

Langue_doc

SB wouldn't accept pegleg or egyptology--I know, I know that it's a proper noun, but a solid pangram all the same. Just above genius, so that's probably it for today. Crosswords, vertex, and sudokus are done.

I try pegleg whenever I see the letters, but am always rejected.

cathwen

I am also at Alpha on SB today.  Not sure if I'll make QB, but I'll keep coming back to it as the day goes on.  I didn't get much beyond genius yesterday.  (Gamma Bee?)

As for LB, I got the "official" solution yesterday BODEGA-ANTIQUITY.  I had also found BOUTIQUEY (and was surprised that it was accepted), but couldn't find anything to go with it—so congratulations on DAGNAB, ciao_yall!  I didn't see that.

After a little hair-tearing, I found a solution for today's LB.  Now I can get on with my day!

ab_grp

Quote from: Langue_doc on January 26, 2021, 08:55:22 AM
SB wouldn't accept pegleg or egyptology--I know, I know that it's a proper noun, but a solid pangram all the same. Just above genius, so that's probably it for today. Crosswords, vertex, and sudokus are done.

I try pegleg whenever I see the letters, but am always rejected.

Yep, that was the pangram I tried (several times, just in case).  I was sure that was it.  Is it only a proper noun? It's a study of something... if they accept geology, they should accept that as well, I think.  I also tried pegleg and poptop.

Congrats on the 2fer, cathwen! I have a moderate contender but don't think it's a winner, so I'll keep at it.  And congrats on Alpha Bee, and good luck going for QB!

ab_grp

We finally gave up and compared after each of us had gotten to Alpha Bee.  We were each missing pretty easy words and had a couple points remaining to QB.  Had to look at the answers.  It's a word we have missed in the past, not super common.  Close!

At least I got the medium sudoku done without errors in just under 13 minutes, which is my new record! Onto the hard one and then back to LB.

Langue_doc

Congrats on the Alpha Bee, ab_grp!

Got a painless two-fer on LB. Still stuck at almost Alpha.

ab_grp

Thanks, Langue_doc! Congrats on your 2fer.  I just found one myself, but it didn't come as easily as yesterday's.  Anyway, still a victory.  Good luck on the bee!

ciao_yall

ciao_yall

Morning! Where is everyone?

LB - I got the official solution SKIRMISH-HANDFUL. Anyone else?

Off to today's puzzles.

Langue_doc

Yesterday's SB: missed epee and teepee--dang! Also missed lollop--don't think I would have found it.

Today, just squeaked to genius after much teeth gnashing.

LB: I have the official solution. Found a nice long word today, but can't get the remaining letters to form a word.

Happy solving, all!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Congrats on your 2fer and genius yesterday, ciao_yall.  I also got SKIRMISH-HANDFUL.  Got skirmish first and finally figured out how to use the remaining letters.

We also missed lollop yesterday on the bee, Langue_doc! Argh.  I had just mentioned lollypop, which it didn't take, but I forgot about lollop.  That was the only word we missed.  Glad to see topology in there since they never take boolean, but no polytope apparently.  And congrats on your 2fer!

For today's bee, I am just shy of Alpha at 114 pts so hope to get there but am currently stumped.  I'll go take a look at today's LB letters and try some sudoku and see if that helps loosen my brain.

Have fun solving!

cathwen

Hello, everyone.  I also got SKIRMISH-HANDFUL for LB yesterday.  I got a 2-fer today, too. 

I also missed lollpop yesterday as well as épée.  I also missed glop and gloppy!  And that after getting gloop, gloopy, goop, and goopy.

Today I'm just a tad beyond genius at 99 points.  I don't see getting much beyond that today, as like Langue_doc, I have also been gnashing my teeth just to get that far.  But apparently there are 10 more words and 34 more points in there somewhere! 

ciao_yall

cathwen you are a natural!

I have a 2fer B4SS, a few 3fers and a couple of words that really eat up a lot of letters but leave oddball letters. That ED on the same side closes up a lot of avenues!

SB: Stuck at "great."