Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Post For Stuff You Wanna Tell People

Started by Parasaurolophus, May 17, 2019, 10:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 01, 2020, 02:43:49 PM
Quote from: ab_grp on July 01, 2020, 11:01:43 AM

+1! More wishes for a Happy Canada Day, Parasaurolophus.  Do you do anything in particular to celebrate?

Nope. When I was a kid we went to see the fireworks on St. Jean (June 24), and only occasionally went to see them on Canada Day. Since it's moving day in Québec (the day when everyone's lease ends and starts), there was a lot of moving of friends, family members, etc. for a solid chunk of my teenaged and adult years. So I never got into the habit.

I ritually moved some books from old shelves to the new one, though. So there's that!

It is interesting to hear about those celebrations.  I feel like I know very little other than the basic outline.  Well, I hope you enjoyed the ritual! We will probably be doing something similar for July 4th this year.  Plus ritually turning the sprinklers on to try to prevent the house from burning down due to neighbor fire works during extreme fire season.  I guess that's the main ritual for us.

mamselle

I could probably just look it up, but isn't the liturgical celebration of St. John's day either June 15th (midpoint of the month) or the 21st (equinox-related date)?

So how did it shift to the 24th?

Or is it a Monday-holiday sort of thing?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Banned my first spammer in a good long while today. I think it's been months, actually.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

May the feeling of doing such a good deed stay with you!

Thanks for all you and the other mods do.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

I recently intervened on a friend's FB feed to help him out in an argument by confirming some facts which I'm pretty well-placed to know. I've known him for almost twenty years now.

The response is hilarious, but also pretty (darkly) telling:

Friend's "Friend" (FF): "This is me throwing the bullshit flag. Look at that, she thinks anyone asked her opinion."
Friend (F): "who are you talking about? Who's "she"?"
FF: "[Parasaurolophus] is she and I was done this conversation days ago."
F: "k, first. He's a guy...so...."
FF: "First off Naaa, she not..."

*facepalm*
I know it's a genus.

writingprof

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 22, 2020, 03:50:51 PM
I recently intervened on a friend's FB feed to help him out in an argument by confirming some facts which I'm pretty well-placed to know. I've known him for almost twenty years now.

The response is hilarious, but also pretty (darkly) telling:

Friend's "Friend" (FF): "This is me throwing the bullshit flag. Look at that, she thinks anyone asked her opinion."
Friend (F): "who are you talking about? Who's "she"?"
FF: "[Parasaurolophus] is she and I was done this conversation days ago."
F: "k, first. He's a guy...so...."
FF: "First off Naaa, she not..."

*facepalm*

At least "Friend" didn't call you a Karen.

Economizer

An a/c unit in my apartment had been replaced. There was a bit of construction work involved and I had stayed in to monitor re security. As I sat, my eyes became focused on a single outlet appliance plug. The face of the cover was off and the plug was out of the socket. What I saw was that the socket and its generally uncovered area gave the appearance of THE GRINCH! So that must have been the inspiration for the Seuss character. So, some good is sitting alone in your room!
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

evil_physics_witchcraft

For the love of all that is holy (and not)... put. all. classes. online.

Teaching ftf 1/4 of a class at a time, ONCE a week, is absolutely ludicrous.

ergative

The following drink is really very good:

1. Espresso (from an Italian espresso maker)
2. Sweetened condensed milk
3. Shredded sweetened coconut (or dessicated, for less sweetness)
4. Hot foamy milk

The coconut floats to the top, so you get a sweet coffeeful mouthful and then something interesting to chew on--like boba, but without the awful squishiness.

mamselle

Quote from: Economizer on July 22, 2020, 05:11:46 PM
An a/c unit in my apartment had been replaced. There was a bit of construction work involved and I had stayed in to monitor re security. As I sat, my eyes became focused on a single outlet appliance plug. The face of the cover was off and the plug was out of the socket. What I saw was that the socket and its generally uncovered area gave the appearance of THE GRINCH! So that must have been the inspiration for the Seuss character. So, some good is sitting alone in your room!

I think the research has shown that Dr. Giesel's characters came from this strand of work:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utrecht_Psalter

Here's a close-up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utrecht_Psalter#/media/File:Utrecht_Psalter_(cropped).jpg

M.

apl68

Nothing quite like medieval art.  Some of it has a lot of energy!
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Parasaurolophus

It's raining extremely hard, so I decided to try working outside on the covered porch/lanai, using the teak chairs and tables we got a few weeks ago and which I finally finished restoring last week.

It's pretty glorious, actually, even though the view of the ocean and mountains is completely obscured.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Oh, so 2020 might bring an asteroid strike the day before the US election, too. And another (larger, but farther out) on election day itself. What a year!
I know it's a genus.

aside

It's not about comfort level with risk, it's about risk.

ab_grp

We were just sitting out on the back patio after lunch when some huge racket came from down the street.  We turned in time to watch a small dust devil throw a bunch of stuff around at a site where a house is being built.  It left before I had time to get the video going.  That was a first for me!