Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Fat People Thread

Started by Morris Zapp, March 18, 2021, 05:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallcleanrat

Quote from: Faith786 on May 07, 2021, 05:56:01 AM
Quote from: smallcleanrat on April 18, 2021, 09:54:27 PM
If I ask for specifics (like "so BP and cholesterol were normal?") he says it's not my business.

This part just raises red flags for me.
SO's health and wellbeing is your business.
I've seen families reviewing a printout of a lab results and having conversations amongst themselves about how to make their lifestyle better e.g. if bad cholesterol levels are high then avoid purchasing butter, shrimp, and coconut oil; use egg whites, etc.

Quote from: Kron3007 on May 07, 2021, 01:36:46 PM
Quote from: Faith786 on May 07, 2021, 05:56:01 AM
Quote from: smallcleanrat on April 18, 2021, 09:54:27 PM
If I ask for specifics (like "so BP and cholesterol were normal?") he says it's not my business.

This part just raises red flags for me.
SO's health and wellbeing is your business.
I've seen families reviewing a printout of a lab results and having conversations amongst themselves about how to make their lifestyle better e.g. if bad cholesterol levels are high then avoid purchasing butter, shrimp, and coconut oil; use egg whites, etc.

Me too.  If you are discussing children, I think their health and lifestyle are very much your business (and vice versa).   

Thanks for sharing your opinions, Faith786 and Kron3007.

I think that was the big question on my mind. For most relationships, someone else's lifestyle choices are their own business. But for a life partner committing to raising a family...your own life is not the only one significantly affected by your decisions regarding your health. I think I at least deserve to be in the loop as to whether losing weight and eating healthier is even on his "To-Do, Someday" list, or if it's something he has no intention of *ever* seriously considering.

As an adult, my dad told me my mom got him on board with her health food kick, back when I was in middle school, by asking him to think about the possibility of not being there for my graduation or my wedding or the birth of his first grandchild. He said that perspective shift was what motivated him to stop resisting the diet changes. I hope SO has a similar epiphany some day.

Faith786

Update: I've almost returned to normal eating habits...Let's see how much longer I can keep the weight off...
I need this grant approved...

Morris Zapp

I recently replaced our old scratched Tupperware with nice Pyrex containers and am now immediately slicing and peeling fruit and veggies when we get home from the supermarket. We are much more likely to eat healthy when fruit etc is prepared and attractive. Amazing how much this helps us with eating healthy!

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Morris Zapp on May 30, 2021, 06:23:55 AM
I recently replaced our old scratched Tupperware with nice Pyrex containers and am now immediately slicing and peeling fruit and veggies when we get home from the supermarket. We are much more likely to eat healthy when fruit etc is prepared and attractive. Amazing how much this helps us with eating healthy!

Yep. It's good to graze. I need to replenish our fruit reserves.

ab_grp

Quote from: Charlotte on March 24, 2021, 04:46:52 AM
I do Yoga With Adriene YouTube videos on the playlist with really short sessions. She has some 5-10 minute ones that are good. I especially like the six minute one for hips after sitting a lot all day.

I realize this is an old thread, but it's got so much useful information in it that I would hate to start a new one.  My eldest daughter turned me on to Adriene a week or two ago, and I have been using some of her videos here and there.  It's so hard to know where to start! She is quite the prolific yogi! I haven't seen the hip-focused short one but will look for that, because it would certainly help with all the sitting.  I guess Adriene is considered the queen of pandemic yoga to the NYT (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/25/magazine/yoga-adriene-mishler.html).  In any case, I really appreciate the amazing number of free yoga videos she has created.  I also got back into Namaste Yoga (the Canadian TV series), because I like that the warm up and cool down (-ish) parts are either the same or very similar each time, so that just the dynamic flow sequence changes between episodes.  Makes it easier to let go and enjoy the bookend parts without having to think too much about what to do.

Aside from yoga, I'm trying to get back into dancing, pilates, and lighter weights right now to build back up my flexibility, strength, and stamina before trying to get back into HIIT or MMA workouts (which feel very far away at the moment).  I have really only been doing this light exercise for a week or two consistently but do feel a bit more flexible again and am encouraged by that.  It's hard not to be down about losing so much progress, but it's happened before, and I have been able to work my way back.  Of course, aging does not help with that!

Quote from: Vkw10 on March 23, 2021, 08:09:32 PM
Anyone have strategies for tiny changes?

I've set my Echo Dot to play a song several times a day. When the song starts, I stand up and march or dance about the room. Songs are usually about 3 minutes long, so I can't tell myself that I don't have time for it right now. It's not much exercise, but I'm at the 3 minutes is better than none stage. I have different songs scattered through my day. For example, Queen's Another One Bites the Dust blasts out at 2:15 everyday. Dancing through that one always improves my mood.

I thought this was a particularly fun idea.  My daughter and I used to have "Friday night dance parties" when she was younger (really just after she got home from school, and mostly just zooming crazily around the room), and my husband and I often dance around while we're cooking.  I just got some ballroom dancing videos for us to try that out.

Sorry for dropping into the thread late.  If a new one should be started instead, please let me know.

mamselle

Glad to see this!

Old wisdom is good wisdom, the software automatically tries to scare you into discontinuity, but humans know better...

I've had to trim back on my walks given weather, ice, etc., but I'm still walking indoors, and my careful-iish diet has been working to the extent I don't feel the sense of 'spread' I was getting before.

Could be doing a bit more, and once the weather warms up I'll be out more, but it has been re-assuring to see that basic amendments can be efficacious.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.