News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Athletic scandal at Iowa community college

Started by Anselm, October 09, 2019, 02:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anselm

https://www.dailyiowegian.com/news/local_news/players-internal-investigation-led-to-coach-departures/article_2c05c27a-c654-11e8-9841-5f89edf58f67.html

This was reported in the news media a year ago but I never got around to posting the news.   I have not seen any recent follow up stories and no criminal charges for the coaches.

They said the coaches imposed physical punishment for certain things. One example given was batters moving away from close pitches instead of letting the balls hit them. Players reported the coaching staff would tally these up, then every few weeks the entire team would have to do partner drags for each one.

Partner drags, similar to a bear crawl, involved two players, according to players who spoke to the Daily Iowegian. One player would get in a push-up position while another player lay below, wrapping their hands around the first player's neck. The first player then would bear crawl with that player's weight over a distance. The crawl would be repeated for every time a player had dodged a pitch in the batter's box.

Potrzeba said the punishment gave him a hernia. "I felt a sharp pain in my abdomen and I stopped," he said. "When I went to the hospital they said I had a hernia."

Potrzeba was told to take two months off for recovery. He said three weeks into that recovery, Kletke began harassing him, telling him he was soft. Potrzeba ended up coming back early.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.