News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Song in Your Head Thread

Started by Parasaurolophus, May 19, 2019, 07:01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Today's earworm: Rachel Platten, Fight Song.

I heard it out in the world yesterday. It stuck.
I know it's a genus.

polly_mer

I heard Alice Merton's No Roots for the first time driving home on Friday.  It's stuck in my head now.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Anonymath

Tiger Family Trip from the PBS show Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood.

We're heading out on a two week road trip and this is how we get our son ready.

ohnoes

Incubus, Aqueous Transmission.

I loved the song years ago; less now that it's been stuck in my head for over two weeks.

mamselle

My ear-worms are mostly task-specific.

Really annoying ones remind me I need to pay a bill.

The tunes my music students are working on remind me I need to do my weekly scheduling email on Sunday nights.

Playford dance tunes remind me I need to get my clothes in shape for tours starting in July.

Swing tunes tell me there's a Sat. PM dance upcoming.

Chant reminds me to get that paper on medieval processions done.

Or, if I'm trying to sort out a chord progression on a tune I'm working on for a performance, it will intrude in the most unfair way on almost anything else, anytime, anyplace (going home on the subway at midnight last night? Hunh?)

I also have a most disciplined/undisciplined auditory memory...  Tunes I heard once a long time ago will also come bouncing back, and I'll have to reconstruct context and content to figure out what it was.

The inner radio of my life.

It ain't easy bein' green...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

sprout

waterboy

"Daybreak" - Barry Manilow.  Don't ask.
"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

mamselle

Quote from: waterboy on May 20, 2019, 12:18:01 PM
"Daybreak" - Barry Manilow.  Don't ask.

I always liked that song. I learned it at one point and performed it.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

waterboy

OK...I can admit I like Barry Manilow.  My kids do the eye-roll thing.
"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

Vkw10

Quote from: waterboy on May 21, 2019, 10:25:37 AM
OK...I can admit I like Barry Manilow.  My kids do the eye-roll thing.

My Monday morning playlist is an hour of Barry Manilow. I've been enjoying Manilow Sings Sinatra lately.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

ergative

Australia's Eurovision song Zero Gravity. Dang, that was cool!

Tenured_Feminist

Ugh, I heard a snippet of Dark Side of the Moon yesterday and now I CANNOT MAKE IT GO AWAY.

professor_pat

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 19, 2019, 07:01:52 PM

Oooh, Parasaurolophus, this is an evil thread...yikes! <Runs away covering ears>

cathwen

My current earworm is "Born to Be Alive."  Although I'm not usually into disco, this was on the playlist in my dance exercise class, and the instructor's choreography was particularly fun. 

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: professor_pat on May 23, 2019, 12:46:26 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 19, 2019, 07:01:52 PM

Oooh, Parasaurolophus, this is an evil thread...yikes! <Runs away covering ears>

Hehehe!

I was always told that you can get rid of an earworm by singing Oh Canada! to yourself. I imagine the same should be true of the Star-Spangled Banner/God Save the Queen/etc.? It's always worked relatively well for me, at least.

Today's, for no reason I can discern: Tegan and Sara, How Come You Don't Want Me
I know it's a genus.