News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Dinner--or Dessert--Tonight

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 09:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

We made pizza last night (shallot/mushroom) and are having leftovers this evening to save time.  We switched baking pans, and the crust turned out a bit weaker, so more experimentation is necessary.  We are reheating directly on the rack, so that should help, though I think we will need to place a pan underneath just in case. 

The only new recipe we've made recently is a Portuguese scallop recipe.  Very easy, mostly sauteeing and making a quick sauce to serve over rice, but I thought it could be more flavorful.  Part of the issue is probably our fault.  It called for port, but the closest thing we have is cooking sherry (well, we have actual sherry, I am not using that unless specifically called for due to the cost).  I don't care for port at all, but I think it would have been a stronger flavor with it, so if someone hooks me up with a bottle I know what I'm saving it for.  I also think there could have been more lemon in it or other acid.  That can probably be taken care of by just squeezing some on when serving, so we will try that with leftovers.  Spouse got some inspiration for a new recipe from it, so it was definitely worthwhile.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Beverage = iced sweet black tea with fresh ginger and mint

Main course = SO grilled hot dogs & burgers. We made our own buns.

Dessert = 'strawberry' jello

Economizer

So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

nonsensical

I made chicken with caramelized onions this weekend. The onions take the longest to cook; I slice them up pretty thinly and keep over medium heat for ~40 minutes, then add some seasonings and turn the heat up a bit, then add some chicken or beef broth and simmer for ~5-10 minutes. The chicken gets browned on the stove, then put over the onions. All of that gets covered with a sauce (more chicken or beef broth plus a bit of balsamic vinegar and mustard), and the whole thing gets baked for about half an hour. This results in a very saucy dish, so it's helpful to have some mashed potatoes or something with it to absorb some of the liquid.

Cooking relaxes me and this dish made my home smell wonderful. It was also delicious, and there are plenty of leftovers. I used to think I didn't like onions, but then I discovered that they could be caramelized, and they are now one of my favorite vegetables.

ab_grp

Quote from: nonsensical on August 03, 2020, 05:25:24 AM
I made chicken with caramelized onions this weekend. The onions take the longest to cook; I slice them up pretty thinly and keep over medium heat for ~40 minutes, then add some seasonings and turn the heat up a bit, then add some chicken or beef broth and simmer for ~5-10 minutes. The chicken gets browned on the stove, then put over the onions. All of that gets covered with a sauce (more chicken or beef broth plus a bit of balsamic vinegar and mustard), and the whole thing gets baked for about half an hour. This results in a very saucy dish, so it's helpful to have some mashed potatoes or something with it to absorb some of the liquid.

Cooking relaxes me and this dish made my home smell wonderful. It was also delicious, and there are plenty of leftovers. I used to think I didn't like onions, but then I discovered that they could be caramelized, and they are now one of my favorite vegetables.

This sounds very delicious and worth a try (plus, leftovers are always a bonus!).  And I agree with you about the excellence of caramelized onions.

Vkw10

Dinner tonight was refrigerator biscuit doughnuts. Open a can of biscuits, poke a hole in one, fry in hot oil, let drain on paper plate a minute, then drop in a bowl of sugar and cinnamon and shake to coat. Eat while warm.

Nephew shook some in a mix of sugar, chili powder, and cocoa. He and partner enjoyed, but I stayed with the flavors of childhood.

Dessert was green salad with a few shrimp.

Neither gourmet nor healthy, but mighty tasty.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

mamselle

Breakfast for dinner!

A noble pursuit.

We made donuts like that in Camp Fire camp years ago.

I made chicken curry for dinner/lunch for the week upcoming.

Yum.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ab_grp

The doughnut talk reminded me that husband's boss used to have New Year's Day parties where he made beignets freshly for each guest.  Sooo good.

We had a panini with leftover steak, provolone, dijon, and freshly roasted jalapenos the other night, along with a huge amount of elote.  Last night was chicken jalfrezi with jasmine rice and broccoli again.  Tonight will probably be veggie burgers or something more adventurous depending on when husband returns from his work site.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Beverage = Ginger ale

Main course = cheese, bean & tvp quesadillas with sour cream

Dessert = trail mix

ab_grp

I meant to make pizza yesterday but forgot to make the dough in time, so we had more leftover chicken jalfrezi.  Made the dough today, so we should have pizza tonight.  Maybe something simpler than usual, with basil and tomatoes.  Whomever weighed the flour into the bag that husband picked up apparently decided that the typical one twist tie wasn't enough for this bad boy.  So, I spent about 20 minutes after removing the plastic thing that holds supermarket bread product bags shut trying to disentangle three white twist ties that were basically twisted randomly around each other.  I was also reacquainted with the fact that flour pours out quickly once it gets going.  Yikes! The reason I had to refill in the first place was that this dough took way more flour than usual.  It just kept eating it up and wanting more.  Anyway, hopefully there will be pizza tonight.  I can't remember if I have to make more sauce or not.

mamselle

Deciding.

Finish the curry and saag aloo?

Hmm....

Make a mac-and-cheese-with-good-stuff bake?

Hmmm....

Had an open face chutney/turkey/melted cheese sandwich for lunch, so I won't want another one for dinner...

I don't think....

Hmmm.....

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

secundem_artem

Beer can chicken on the grill, corn on the cob, Frenched green beans, peach pie and vinho verde to wash it all down.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

OneMoreYear

A mishmash:

Dinner: potato pancakes with applesauce and a side of spicy green beans
Dessert: "X'tra hot" chana snack
Beverage: pretty good Festbier from local brewery

mamselle

Quote from: mamselle on August 09, 2020, 03:32:10 PM
Deciding.

Hmm....

Hmmm....

Had an open face chutney/turkey/melted cheese sandwich for lunch, so I won't want another one for dinner...

I don't think....

Hmmm.....

M.

I did the mac-and-cheese bake with bacon, tomatoes, tuna and spinach.

And two <<P'tit Ecolier>>  cookies for dessert.

M.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on August 09, 2020, 08:02:05 PM
Quote from: mamselle on August 09, 2020, 03:32:10 PM
Deciding.

Hmm....

Hmmm....

I don't think....

Hmmm.....

M.

I did the mac-and-cheese bake with bacon, tomatoes, tuna and spinach.

And two <<P'tit Ecolier>>  cookies for dessert.

M.

Yum. Yum. Yum.