News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Dinner--or Dessert--Tonight

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 09:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Leftover sausage and vegetables and a salad.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

ab_grp

Quote from: secundem_artem on August 09, 2020, 07:25:54 PM
Beer can chicken on the grill, corn on the cob, Frenched green beans, peach pie and vinho verde to wash it all down.

I was surprised to find out how tasty beer can chicken is.  It really makes a difference! Did you use an actual beer can or one of the stands? We've tried both.  It reminds me that we had a little issue the first (or one of the first times) we made it, in that it tipped over and suddenly there was a great amount of fire and smoke that seemed to blanket the neighborhood.  It still ended up tasting good, though.  Sounds like a great summer meal all around.

sinenomine

We're headed into another heat wave in my area, so I just made a big batch of tuna pasta salad to feast on without heating up the kitchen. Fortunately, I have a high tolerance for eating the same meal for a few days in row!
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

secundem_artem

Quote from: ab_grp on August 10, 2020, 09:03:53 AM
Beer can chicken on the grill, corn on the cob, Frenched green beans, peach pie and vinho verde to wash it all down.

I was surprised to find out how tasty beer can chicken is.  It really makes a difference! Did you use an actual beer can or one of the stands? We've tried both.  It reminds me that we had a little issue the first (or one of the first times) we made it, in that it tipped over and suddenly there was a great amount of fire and smoke that seemed to blanket the neighborhood.  It still ended up tasting good, though.  Sounds like a great summer meal all around.

I put a can of one of America's finest macro-brews in a stand and then give the chicken its beery enema.

The heat control on my gas grill is a bit iffy so the temp bounced around between 350 and 400 according to the questionable temp gauge.  My 4 pound bird was over-done in about an hour.  A bit dry, but tasty none-the-less.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

ab_grp

Quote from: secundem_artem on August 10, 2020, 11:25:49 AM
Quote from: ab_grp on August 10, 2020, 09:03:53 AM

I put a can of one of America's finest macro-brews in a stand and then give the chicken its beery enema.

The heat control on my gas grill is a bit iffy so the temp bounced around between 350 and 400 according to the questionable temp gauge.  My 4 pound bird was over-done in about an hour.  A bit dry, but tasty none-the-less.

Sounds wonderful, and thanks for the tips.  When I last made this, I used a charcoal grill, but now we have a gas grill, and I was unsure how that might work.  I wish I had brought one of my beer can stands with me when I moved.  We do have some cans of one of America's finest macro-brews on hand, though.

ab_grp

Everyone must be pretty hungry by now, with no dinners being eaten!

We ended up "grilling" steaks indoors on Sunday, because there will probably never be an evening that does not involve sudden thunderstorms, winds out of the east, or enough energy after a long day.  We made them on the cast iron griddle, and they turned out fairly well.  Had those with roasted sweet potato/mini potato mix that came out really well (I think it helped to wait a little longer than usual before flipping them) and brussels sprouts with the balsamic Dijon sauce. 

We were too tired the next night to eat anything substantial, so husband cut up some mango and berries for a light dinner, which was a nice change.

Last night, we used leftover steak in salads with blue cheese crumbles, raspberries, and black berries, and a little red onion.  My kind of salad! We will probably either re-do that tonight or do a steak salad with shallot vinaigrette if I can find the recipe from last summer.

Vkw10

Tabbouleh
Baba Ghanoush with pita, cucumber, and pepper strips
Olives
Falafel
Figs
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

evil_physics_witchcraft

Beverage = I had a freshly made lemonade earlier

Main course = Beef stroganoff with peas

hmaria1609

White chocolate with vanilla mousse cake from Costco.  Delicious!
We brought the chocolate one to our annual Thanksgiving family reunion last year.

ab_grp

We finally ordered Chinese last week (it has not been available for delivery until recently), and that lasted us for a couple days.  Egg rolls, roast pork lo mein, roast pork fried rice, extra boneless ribs to add to those dishes, chicken chow mein, Mongolian beef, sesame chicken.  I'm so used to having a ton of Chinese restaurants around, and this area seems to have very few, despite many other ethnic food restaurants that usually seem harder to find.  And they didn't have any wonton soup, which I thought was most popular? I guess it's regional.  Anyway, it wasn't the greatest but was welcome.  I also learned that my husband had never had chicken chow mein (or any chow mein) before!

Aside from that, we got a big pack of chicken thighs that ended up being bone-in, skin-on, so we divided it in half.  First half was used for a favorite paprika chicken thighs and brussels sprouts, and the second half is marinating for another favorite, the Korean BBQ chicken for this evening.  We made potato salad midway through the day, so that should be ready to go for dinner. 

Husband also made the Portuguese-style scallop take-off dish last night, which was great, and we will have some of that for lunch shortly.  We used leftover white rice from the Chinese order last night but will have to make more for lunch.  Fortunately, we discovered the microwave Jasmine rice packets, so that is easy enough.

Oh, we also had a couple rounds of steak with potatoes and brussels sprouts or steak salads with berries, blue cheese, and balsamic vinaigrette last week.  Yum! Naturally, we do not currently have steak anymore raw steak on hand, and it has been super calm outside and cooler, so that would have been perfect grilling weather.  We have been cooking our steaks recently inside on the cast iron griddle.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Ab_grp:

That all sounds delicious!

Currently, I am focusing on more salads, more veg, more plants, etc. You get the drift.

Beverage = H2O

Main course = Green salad with baked chicken, walnuts, pepper jack cheese and dressing

Dessert = Chocolate ice cream & PB M&Ms

mamselle

Ah-ha!

QuoteI also learned that my husband had never had chicken chow mein (or any chow mein) before!

So THAT'S where the chow mein container ended up.....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on September 13, 2020, 09:26:59 PM
Ah-ha!

QuoteI also learned that my husband had never had chicken chow mein (or any chow mein) before!

So THAT'S where the chow mein container ended up.....

M.
Good sleuthing! But wasn't it beef chow mein? :o

ab_grp

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on September 13, 2020, 08:37:35 PM
Currently, I am focusing on more salads, more veg, more plants, etc. You get the drift.

That is what I need to be doing.  I am not.  I have aspirations, though! We had plans for doing more salads with leftover steak last week, but it was so cold and rainy and weird that we went for comfort foods.  Now that it has warmed back up to merely chilly (reaching the 80s! woohoo!), maybe we will be better citizens.  Maybe.  Tonight will be more BBQ chix and potato salad, though.

As for the chow mein, maybe it was in disguise... as we know, everything tastes like chicken!

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: ab_grp on September 14, 2020, 08:46:03 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on September 13, 2020, 08:37:35 PM

As for the chow mein, maybe it was in disguise... as we know, everything tastes like chicken!

It was incognito.