News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Dinner--or Dessert--Tonight

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 09:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Ok, slightly dry, leftover bread--plus spices, honey, butter, milk, maple syrup, and an egg--equals bread pudding.

That's my dessert.

Dinner will be a Cobb-like salad with all the fixin's (bacon, cheese, tomatoes, tuna, turkey, no onion, out of peppers, but a honey-mustard/bernaise-like dressing) and hot tea.

You?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

I have no idea what dinner will be, but dessert will be another serving from a batch of beetroot-chocolate cupcake with cream cheese frosting.

mamselle

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ab_grp

We have recently had to change to a heart-friendlier diet, and we have been doing pretty well working through a bunch of those sorts of cookbooks.  But, the June 2019 issue of Bon Appetit has some good grilling recipes that appear pretty reasonable.  They are interesting, too, because they involve post-marinating (grill, then marinate), which I have not tried before.  Two nights ago was a really great flank steak and scallions with a soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, and etc. marinade.  Last night was a swordfish and tomatoes recipe with red wine vinegar, honey, capers, etc. marinade.  It was pretty good, but we vastly preferred the first dish and are completely thrilled to have some left over.  We had paired the steak with a garlicky broccolini and cherry tomatoes recipe from one of the American Heart Association cookbooks (a go-to side), and they complemented each other well.  Thankfully, we still have some of that left over, too.   Not for long!

Vkw10

Roasted tomatoes
Grilled tilapia with sauteed spinach and citrus
Cherries

Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

polly_mer

I've got my fingers crossed for goulash since just yesterday the discussion was we haven't had it in a while.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

polly_mer

The goulash is gone and the family is away.

I'm having a turkey sandwich for supper and planning to acquire ice cream at the store tomorrow.  Depending on how tonight goes, I might actually make the trip to the store tonight and get new ice cream.

Vkw10

Poached egg, spiced lentils with spinach, roasted carrots, peaches in cream.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

ab_grp

Trying to make eggplant pizzas again tonight.

ergative

Last night we made a saag paneer-y type thing, which worked well in some ways, but not others. The recipe called for coriander seeds, which I already know I dislike, but I put them in anyway, and then the whole meal was getting little bursts of crunchy soap with every bite. (The jar has now been emptied with extreme prejudice and coriander seeds are no longer welcome in my kitchen. If it wants to be my friend, the coriander will need to sprout some leaves like a grownup.) The recipe also called for tofu instead of paneer, because it was a vegan recipe, but I thought that was silly, and so added some halloumi and feta, and that was really good.

We got more spinach than we needed (both Absolutive and I remembered to go shopping independently of each other), and also have more halloumi and feta, so I might try again tonight or tomorrow, this time without the coriander.

polly_mer

Quote from: ergative on June 11, 2019, 11:04:42 PM
(The jar has now been emptied with extreme prejudice and coriander seeds are no longer welcome in my kitchen. If it wants to be my friend, the coriander will need to sprout some leaves like a grownup.)

Hall of Fame for truth!

polly_mer

It's another turkey sandwich tonight (those fools left me to my own devices so I can have what I like several nights in a row!).

I didn't stop to get ice cream, but I did make jello for later.

nescafe

A buddy is passing through town and so we'll celebrate her arrival with roasted chicken with gravy and mashed potatoes. Some kind of greens.

Dessert: store-bought strawberry mochis.

ergative

Quote from: ergative on June 11, 2019, 11:04:42 PM
We got more spinach than we needed (both Absolutive and I remembered to go shopping independently of each other), and also have more halloumi and feta, so I might try again tonight or tomorrow, this time without the coriander.

Mission accomplished! It was delicious.

mamselle

Glad it was good!

RIP coriander.

M.