Main Menu

"Racist" professor found dead in home

Started by Wahoo Redux, July 24, 2020, 10:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Parasaurolophus

Quote[Sheriff's Lt. Jerry Brewer] declined to elaborate on a potential cause of death, but said there was no immediate evidence of foul play. Adams, 55, lived alone.

QuoteAmong the professor's recent statements was his comparing the efforts of North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper to curb coronavirus to that of a slave master, tweeting on May 29: "This evening I ate pizza and drank beer with six guys at a six seat table top. I almost felt like a free man who was not living in the slave state of North Carolina. Massa Cooper, let my people go!"

Earlier this year, Adams mocked women's studies as "non essential" and labeled civil rights protesters "thugs."

Back in 2016, Adams used an ultraconservative opinion site to target a student at his school with an article titled "A Queer Muslim Jihad."

In 2013, he said gay couples should not receive equal treatment "because they do not equally benefit society."
I know it's a genus.

mahagonny

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 24, 2020, 11:58:37 AM
Quote[Sheriff's Lt. Jerry Brewer] declined to elaborate on a potential cause of death, but said there was no immediate evidence of foul play. Adams, 55, lived alone.

QuoteAmong the professor's recent statements was his comparing the efforts of North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper to curb coronavirus to that of a slave master, tweeting on May 29: "This evening I ate pizza and drank beer with six guys at a six seat table top. I almost felt like a free man who was not living in the slave state of North Carolina. Massa Cooper, let my people go!"

Earlier this year, Adams mocked women's studies as "non essential" and labeled civil rights protesters "thugs."

Back in 2016, Adams used an ultraconservative opinion site to target a student at his school with an article titled "A Queer Muslim Jihad."

In 2013, he said gay couples should not receive equal treatment "because they do not equally benefit society."

So he deserved to die? Hate speech! WAAAAAAH!!!

Parasaurolophus

No. I am pointing out (1) there is no evidence he was murdered, which I initially took to be the implication from the title, (2) that there's a pretty reasonable explanation available for the death, and (3) I quoted the article's description of some of the kinds of things he's said.

That is all. Given those givens, it's hard to see what the point of "discussing" this is.
I know it's a genus.

writingprof

Obviously those of us on the right hope he was killed by leftist cancelers.  Those on the left hope he was killed by Christians--or, better still, that he killed himself in a fit of remorse. 

Discuss.

Modifying to add: Women's Studies is indeed nonessential.  We lived without that field of academic inquiry for almost all of human history.  Please don't kill me for agreeing with this guy.

mamselle

I agree with Parasaurolophus, the original reportage was confusing, and it's still not clear what the cause of death was, or if something nefarious was being implied or not.

Until there's a clearer hermeneutic, there's not point to trying to parse the event, except on its own terms.

Someone has died. RIP.

M. 
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ciao_yall

Quote from: writingprof on July 24, 2020, 01:03:02 PM
Obviously those of us on the right hope he was killed by leftist cancelers.  Those on the left hope he was killed by Christians--or, better still, that he killed himself in a fit of remorse. 

Discuss.

Modifying to add: Women's Studies is indeed nonessential.  We lived without that field of academic inquiry for almost all of human history.  Please don't kill me for agreeing with this guy.

Yeah, cuz who needs half of humanity?

marshwiggle

Quote from: ciao_yall on July 24, 2020, 02:48:26 PM

Discuss.

Are all of the other fields of inquiry for men only, or should there be Men's Studies as well, since there are two halves of humanity?
It takes so little to be above average.

mahagonny

Quote from: marshwiggle on July 24, 2020, 03:32:40 PM

Discuss.

Are all of the other fields of inquiry for men only, or should there be Men's Studies as well, since there are two halves of humanity?

Well, given all that we've been learning recently, are there people maintaining that Women's Studies promotes an incorrect dichotomous view of gender?

Wahoo Redux

We had a professor die last year in the middle of the semester.  I don't think it even made the local news.

I'm pretty sure a number of big-mouth racists died recently (even though I don't know any myself).

But I thought it was interesting that combining "professor" + "racist" + "death" = NBC headline.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Caracal

Modifying to add: Women's Studies is indeed nonessential.  We lived without that field of academic inquiry for almost all of human history. 

True enough. (The first women's history departments were in the early 1970s) but the same is true for sociology (1890s), computer science (1950s), and Religious Studies (late 19th century) and lots of other fields you probably aren't grumbling about.

Parasaurolophus

Men's studies has existed in the academy since the 1970s. It's not very widespread, however, and it's got nothing to do with MRAs. In fact, it's much more closely aligned with women's and gender studies (and, really, I don't see why it should exist separately from that department, but nobody died and made me king of the academy. Also, it's often part of that department, or sometimes another).
I know it's a genus.

Caracal

Quote from: mahagonny on July 24, 2020, 03:56:34 PM

Discuss.

Well, given all that we've been learning recently, are there people maintaining that Women's Studies promotes an incorrect dichotomous view of gender?

Yes. I don't know enough about women's studies as a field to comment, but in history, there aren't many younger historians who describe themselves as doing "women's history." Gender history is much more common.

Caracal

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 24, 2020, 04:36:07 PM

Men's studies has existed in the academy since the 1970s. It's not very widespread, however, and it's got nothing to do with MRAs. In fact, it's much more closely aligned with women's and gender studies (and, really, I don't see why it should exist separately from that department, but nobody died and made me king of the academy. Also, it's often part of that department, or sometimes another).

Lots of gender history over the last twenty years has focused on masculinity and male identity.

writingprof

Quote from: Caracal on July 24, 2020, 04:34:23 PM

Modifying to add: Women's Studies is indeed nonessential.  We lived without that field of academic inquiry for almost all of human history. 

True enough. (The first women's history departments were in the early 1970s) but the same is true for sociology (1890s), computer science (1950s), and Religious Studies (late 19th century) and lots of other fields you probably aren't grumbling about.

How little you know me.  Sociology?  Marxist hokum.  Computer science?  All the smart kids drop out before graduation.  Religious Studies?  A swamp of heresies, in multiple flavors.  Give me some more fields; I can go on.