News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What are the odds for a 2nd civil war?

Started by secundem_artem, January 30, 2022, 12:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 16, 2022, 11:05:03 AM
And yet it was the right that actually attempted a coup.

A small subset of them, and it was stopped by people appointed by republicans and elected by republican voters.

They believed the voting was rigged, which was not what happened, although in places it was certainly compromised more than the standard amount. The election itself was not stolen but instead legally bought by a coalition of organized wealthy and connected liberals.

They were wrong about the votes being counted improperly, but they had reason not to believe the media, because the media, which is mostly left, lies.
And you've got another victory for people who want the media to go on with political agenda lying without consequences, just recently, in the Sarah Palin vs. New York Times Company. Congratulations. I wonder if that will apply to Joe Rogan?

Anselm

I can't imagine riots due to a repeal or modification of AA.  The people who benefit from AA tend to be middle class people with jobs, pensions and families. Those people don't riot unless they are destitute and they would be grandfathered into their current jobs.  Rioting also would not change anything with court decisions.   We had actual riots in 2020 and there was no subsequent civil war.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: mahagonny on February 16, 2022, 11:18:46 AM

A small subset of them, and it was stopped by people appointed by republicans and elected by republican voters.

They believed the voting was rigged, which was not what happened, although in places it was certainly compromised more than the standard amount. The election itself was not stolen but instead legally bought by a coalition of organized wealthy and connected liberals.

They were wrong about the votes being counted improperly, but they had reason not to believe the media, because the media, which is mostly left, lies.
And you've got another victory for people who want the media to go on with political agenda lying without consequences, just recently, in the Sarah Palin vs. New York Times Company. Congratulations. I wonder if that will apply to Joe Rogan?

Your evidence is that the right attempted a coup, and that the establishment right has decided to whitewash the incident and accept the false narrative that motivated the coup.

But your conclusion is that the left is more likely to start a civil war. Over... *checks notes* the repeal of affirmative action policies. Not even the gutting of the Voting Rights Act (or, indeed, the fact that the 2000 election was actually stolen). Repealing affirmative action. Right.
I know it's a genus.

mahagonny

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 16, 2022, 11:30:42 AM
Quote from: mahagonny on February 16, 2022, 11:18:46 AM

Your evidence is that the right attempted a coup, and that the establishment right has decided to whitewash the incident and accept the false narrative that motivated the coup.

But your conclusion is that the left is more likely to start a civil war. Over... *checks notes* the repeal of affirmative action policies. Not even the gutting of the Voting Rights Act (or, indeed, the fact that the 2000 election was actually stolen). Repealing affirmative action. Right.

What they could start, I expect, would be a 'mostly peaceful demonstration' in which a few cops get killed, and then the sissies will go home once they are faced with something that would actually take a real set of balls to oppose. The left starting a war and then losing it, unpleasant as it would be, might be better than the dystopian place we are in now. Wars do get things settled.

jimbogumbo

So which citizen perpetrated the largest single act of violence in the US in my life time?

Hint: his last name rhymes with that of the current winning Super Bowl coach, and he was definitely not on the left of the political spectrum.

Aster

Civil War? Not... yet.

A political party devolving into a protected oligarchy that outsources its ambitions through extremist propagandizing of its worker class? Yes.

mamselle

Possibly true, that.

They need to keep the rowdy folks at a slow simmer for maximum effect.

They haven't got the control chops (maybe...yet?) to manage a full boil without getting severely burned themselves.

One hopes, anyway....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Aster on February 17, 2022, 05:34:11 AM
Civil War? Not... yet.

A political party devolving into a protected oligarchy that outsources its ambitions through extremist propagandizing of its worker class? Yes.

Replace "worker class" with "students" or "young people" and you can switch parties.

Every political party ever has (unfortunately) stirred up the grievances (both real and perceived) of some segment of the population that they think will advance their own agenda. When out of power, they do it more intensely.

It's *rare (if not basically unheard-of) for any party to tell any segment of its own supporters that the problems they perceive are something they're just going to have to learn to live with for the good of society.

*The exception being in times of war or natural disaster, when everyone feels themselves to be in more or less the same boat. But that only lasts a short time.
It takes so little to be above average.