News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Winter Thread

Started by hmaria1609, December 15, 2020, 07:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Quote from: clean on February 24, 2021, 08:53:24 AM
I was out this morning getting new tires for my car.  After that work was done I ventured to the local grocery store.  The parking lot was surprising full for a Wednesday morning (though to be honest, I dont really know what Wednesday Mornings are supposed to look like at the grocery store!).  The aisles were not really busy, and there were plenty of workers restocking, but still lots of areas that are still in the restock stage. There is beef, for instance, but no chicken. 

Then I discovered why the parking lot was busy!  The milk/egg aisle was blocked off. They were restocking and about to open it.  Security guard and all!!  The line went past the refrigerated section, in front of the pharmacy and to the front of the store!!!  I wanted to venture down a nearby aisle, but could not get past the line, but I could see the workers telling/yelling at people LIMIT ONE! 

Fortunately, I still ahve a pint or so of milk and at least 1/2 a dozen eggs.  My bride will have to make due with the substitute creamer her parents gave her for her coffee! 

But it looks like things are improving.... but Gas Prices are up probably 30 Cents a gallon here now!  BUT there IS gas, and there are no longer lines at every pump!  So we ARE returning to normalcy!

Glad things are rebounding quickly, clean.

I'll be interested to see what it looks like at our grocery store tomorrow, when I go for my normal bi-weekly shopping.  Since the roads have basically all been open since Monday, I would guess that pent-up demand is in the process of being met.  Some things might still be scarcer than usual tomorrow.  But I'm guessing we won't have to have any armed guards watching over the eggs!
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

hmaria1609

*Bump*

Winter is here, like or not! :D Google has a cute animation for today.

hmaria1609

The 1st snow of 2022 is its way here to the metro DC area overnight:
https://wtop.com/weather-news/2022/01/dc-under-winter-storm-watch-with-heavy-snow-forecast-early-monday/
Posted on WTOP online (1/2/22)

hmaria1609

The snow has arrived!
https://wtop.com/weather-news/2022/01/up-to-10-inches-forecast-in-dc-areas-first-major-snowfall-of-the-season/
Scroll past the ad breaks to read full article.

Not seeing anything here but it's cold. I appreciate the snow day from the library!  :)

apl68

It's finally cold enough to eat soups and such again!  I have a serving of taco soup leftover from a batch this fall.  Tomorrow I plan to make a big crock pot full of chili.  I need to go to the nearest grocery store on my afternoon break to get hominy for it.  I had laid in supplies for chili-making a month ago, but in the long interval of warm weather I ended up using all the canned hominy.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

Harlow2

Quote from: hmaria1609 on January 03, 2022, 10:29:32 AM
The snow has arrived!
https://wtop.com/weather-news/2022/01/up-to-10-inches-forecast-in-dc-areas-first-major-snowfall-of-the-season/
Scroll past the ad breaks to read full article.

Not seeing anything here but it's cold. I appreciate the snow day from the library!  :)

Here too!  A wet snow that articulated every branch in the woods near my house. Gorgeous. And fortunate requiring  no shoveling

hmaria1609

Evening update: Although the snow has cleared out of the metro DC region, overnight refreezing is a concern. There were a lot of traffic jams and power outages.
I plan to get an x-large coffee for my commute to the library tomorrow morning!

apl68

Looks like we're supposed to have seasonably cold weather through the rest of the week!  That batch of chili I've got slow-cooking at home ought to be just the thing.

It's nice and clear, though, with no winter precipitation in the forecast.

mamselle

I awoke to a cold, chill 18 degrees this AM.

More wool blankets required.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Juvenal

Last winter was nearly snowless here, with only one episode of shovel-need, the other few more or less broom-able.  We have yet to see any snow (I lie; a soon-gone dusting in December) this winter season, after a failed prediction yesterday.  Saturday might need a shovel or a broom.
Cranky septuagenarian

apl68

Quote from: hmaria1609 on January 03, 2022, 07:37:56 PM
Evening update: Although the snow has cleared out of the metro DC region, overnight refreezing is a concern. There were a lot of traffic jams and power outages.
I plan to get an x-large coffee for my commute to the library tomorrow morning!

There've been nation-wide reports of a 50-mile traffic jam on I-95 in Virginia.  Hundreds of people stuck in their cars overnight.  It sounds horrible.

sinenomine

It was 10 at my house this morning, and the sun is shining for the first time in what feels like ages.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

mamselle

Quote from: sinenomine on January 04, 2022, 09:43:46 AM
It was 10 at my house this morning, and the sun is shining for the first time in what feels like ages.

Celsius or Fahrenheit?

If things were different I'd take a short celebratory walk to clear my brain after finishing a quick-turn-around mini-article.

But things aren't different, they're still cold.

So, staying in.

Maybe some hot cocoa instead...

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

Quote from: apl68 on January 04, 2022, 09:36:22 AM
There've been nation-wide reports of a 50-mile traffic jam on I-95 in Virginia.  Hundreds of people stuck in their cars overnight.  It sounds horrible.
It is terrible. The clean up from that continues:
https://wtop.com/traffic/2022/01/the-storm-paralyzed-traffic-on-some-roads/
Drivers have been told to avoid the area, and Gov. Ralph Northam has sent additional help with the clean up.  Scroll past ad breaks to read full article.

mamselle

Yes, just saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvg0dJ21Vdg

Some people have been in their cars for 21 hours and counting.

New Jersey has had 13 inches as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeEGej9wK2Y

M.