News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Thanks, Parasaurolophus.  It sounds like you are on a roll!

I made it to Alpha (barely, exactly 177) and have not had any luck finding the remaining three words yet.  There wasn't anything too tough so far, a couple bee words that are somewhat familiar.

But I have a couple contenders for LB that are promising if I can put them together somehow.  So close.

cathwen

Congratulations on all the geniuses!  I am a few points short, but I have both pangrams.

LB:  Yesterday I got jungle-establish, but I still haven't found anything yet today!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Last word yesterday was pinny--I don't know what it means though. I had to look up the spellings of a couple of words.

Amazing, no pangram yet.

Late night, late morning, and a long day with work and zooms so I don't think I'll be puzzling much today.

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Yesterday I was mid-Beta in SB.  Today I'm at Amazing with no pangram.

Langue_doc, I remembered pinny because in high school gym class, we wore vests of different colors to distinguish teams.  Our gym teacher called them pinnies.

Ab_grp,did you get your final three words yesterday? 

I failed to find a 2fer for yesterday's LB, but when I looked at the answer, I reached for that heavy dictionary for a good head bonk!  I had pacific, specific, and monkey, but somehow didn't put it together for pacifism-monkey.  But, I did find a 2fer today.

Good luck puzzling, everyone!

ciao_yall

Morning!

Finished the Split Decisions puzzle.

SB - found both pangrams yesterday - haven't looked at today's. ETA: Found the pangram early on. Not a hard one.

LB - cathwen, me too! Found pacific, monkey, specific... went to the online solver site and argh! But for an "ism" I would have had it.

On to today's!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Cathwen, I got to one word left, and then we mistakenly decided to compare lists since we each were missing one 6-letter word and figured it was the same word.  It wasn't, so husband donated picnic (ugh) to me, and I donated pippin to him.  Oh well! Close enough, team QB.  I have the same recollection about pinny, a light pull over vest thingy to distinguish teams in gym class.  Husband had never heard of it.

I actually got a 2fer yesterday! I had monkey as my first out of like 20 contenders, but I couldn't make it work.  Then playing with it last night on my phone, I finally tried pacific after having pacify all day as another contender, and figured I'd stick -ism on it, and it accepted pacificism-monkeys, so not the official solution but fine with me.  Hopefully my streak will continue!

Today I'm at Alpha (163) with two words to go, again. 

Congrats on your 2fer today, cathwen!

Good luck with your zooming, Langue_doc, and I hope you get to enjoy some puzzling, too.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Amazing with pangram, no genius yet.

3fers coming out of my ears, 2fer feels nigh.

How is everyone else doing?

reener06

Just got to genius, with 40 words. For some common letters, it's surprisingly hard, esp. for the longer words. I keep wanting to make words with an 'r' but there is no 'r'.

But I'm outside enjoying the spring weather, with sudafed making me more comfortable, so I can't complain.

ab_grp

Enjoy the out of doors, reener06!

I'm still stuck with two words left to QB.  For LB, I have what seems like a really promising contender, so I'll try to work with that.  Unfortunately, it's been a busy morning, as the septic guy came way early (not enjoying the aromas right now), just as husband was leaving for a doctor's appointment, so there were moving truck shenanigans and so forth.  My garage door also appears to want to star in the next Final Destination movie.  Exciting times.  Hopefully things will settle down a tad.

ETA: Yay! Got a 2fer!

ciao_yall

Genius with pangram.

Boost from solver site to get a 2fer. Had words, and variations of words, but they weren't coming together.

Langue_doc

Good morning, all!

A few words short yesterday, but megahit!?

Amazing with one pangram.

It's going to be another long day, so not many puzzling opportunities.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

I threw in the towel at Beta yesterday.  Oddly, I had gotten megahit in one of those desperation moves where you're just throwing letters and word fragments together to see what happens.  But I missed gimme again.  I guess I have trouble recognizing that as a word, although of course it shows up in informal writing from time to time.

Today's SB stands at amazing with the pangram.  What will be amazing today is if I reach genius!  I am already running out of inspiration.

For LB yesterday,I got acquiescent-typhus.  And I found a 2fer for today's. 

ciao_yall

SB - I found megahit early on but not much after that. Did tip into genius, though.

LB - Another day of "close but no cigar." I found acquiescent-thy-yes, acquiescent-thy-yup, and others combos as 3fers. Needed a boost from the online solver to realize "acquiescent-typhus" was out there. Same with physics-sequent-tan which was so close to physiques-scant. Argh.

2fer b4ss solutions were acquiescence-eyepatch and quiches-synaptic.

Happy solving - hoping for a more focused day!

ETA: Genius with pangram, 2fer. Okay, I was afraid I was losing my touch.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Cathwen, I found the same 2fer as you yesterday, not the schmofficial one, but a good one, I think!  Luckily, acquiescent was my first contender.

Congrats on your 2fers today, cathwen and ciao_yall!

As for the bee, I gave up with one word to go, which was hamate.  Husband had stumbled upon it but hadn't heard of it, so I figured I was not going to get it either.  For today, I got to a bit past genius (152), but I am really tired and husband has to go in to work, so I'm not sure what progress I might make.  That Y in the middle is not fun.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Congratulations on the 2fers and geniuses (genii?)

I finally limped over the genius line and a tad beyond to 152.  I agree, the center Y does not make for an easy puzzle!

Ab_grp, I like our LB solutions better than the "schmofficial" one! 

Now I have to get some real work done, and I have to go get my second vaccine dose this afternoon.  SB will have to go on the back burner for a while.