Main Menu

Fauna and other natural things

Started by Thursday's_Child, August 29, 2019, 07:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

The blooming clover
Makes lawns white like the snowfall
We missed this winter
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

mamselle

Quote from: apl68 on March 10, 2020, 11:43:41 AM
The blooming clover
We missed this winter

Lovely!

Enjoying the random acts of haiku.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

nebo113

Such a delightful relief to come here after reading the Covid 19 news.

Catherder

Quote from: nebo113 on March 11, 2020, 07:44:17 AM
Such a delightful relief to come here after reading the Covid 19 news.

So true.  If it cheers you up any, I had a young fox trot right under my window. "Fox!" I exclaimed, and I swear he chortled "heh, heh" as he passed by.

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on March 10, 2020, 12:52:11 PM
Quote from: apl68 on March 10, 2020, 11:43:41 AM
The blooming clover
We missed this winter

Lovely!

Enjoying the random acts of haiku.

M.

Thanks!  I hadn't composed any haiku in a long, long time.  Now my mind is finally thinking haiku-shaped thoughts again.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

Thursday's_Child

Yesterday my cat noticed the teensiest - maybe an inch long, but I doubt it - box turtle I've ever seen!  It has to be from last year's hatch.  Last summer had so many hot dry spells that my first thought was of the improbability of it's survival.  Then I remembered that the shrubs where it was found are among those where I put a little sprinkler for the birds during hot spells.  Teeny is now in protective custody because I need to do some yardwork around and under those shrubs.  Also, my first act will be to very carefully remove all leaves and thoroughly check for siblings!

namazu

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on March 14, 2020, 10:18:31 AM
Yesterday my cat noticed the teensiest - maybe an inch long, but I doubt it - box turtle I've ever seen!  It has to be from last year's hatch.  Last summer had so many hot dry spells that my first thought was of the improbability of it's survival.  Then I remembered that the shrubs where it was found are among those where I put a little sprinkler for the birds during hot spells.  Teeny is now in protective custody because I need to do some yardwork around and under those shrubs.  Also, my first act will be to very carefully remove all leaves and thoroughly check for siblings!
Ooh!  How exciting!

Our chipmunks have reemerged.

apl68

Among the grey trees
A spray of bright white petals
The year's first dogwood

mamselle

Quote from: apl68 on March 16, 2020, 10:47:50 AM
Among the grey trees
The year's first dogwood

Oh, yes.

Reminds me of this:

https://www.icp.org/browse/archive/objects/dogwood-and-oak-trees

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

nebo113

Among the grey trees
The year's first dogwood

May I copy and paste to my FB page?  How do I credit you?

apl68

Quote from: nebo113 on March 16, 2020, 05:49:14 PM
Among the grey trees
The year's first dogwood

Sure!  I guess you can just credit it to somebody you know online.

nebo113

Quote from: apl68 on March 17, 2020, 07:05:35 AM
Quote from: nebo113 on March 16, 2020, 05:49:14 PM
Among the grey trees
The year's first dogwood

Thank you!
Sure!  I guess you can just credit it to somebody you know online.

Thursday's_Child

First butterflies a few days ago; first firefly yesterday evening.  Spring is springing early and fast this year.

apl68

Beneath a grey sky
Great outbursts of new color
Fragrance in the air

mamselle

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on March 22, 2020, 07:29:56 AM
First butterflies a few days ago; first firefly yesterday evening.  Spring is springing early and fast this year.

We don't seem to get fireflies here; I remember whole fields of them, growing up...

M.