News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Preparing for Coronavirus?

Started by Cheerful, February 25, 2020, 09:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Quote from: secundem_artem on September 18, 2020, 09:12:23 AM
Excuse me please, I'm looking for The Fora.  I accidentally seem to have wandered into an episode of Doomsday Preppers.

Shucks, that's not The Fora that's wandered into an episode of Doomsday Preppers, that's life!
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

Cheerful

Quote from: secundem_artem on September 18, 2020, 09:12:23 AM
Excuse me please, I'm looking for The Fora.  I accidentally seem to have wandered into an episode of Doomsday Preppers.

Entered in Fora Hall of Fame!

Quote from: spork on September 16, 2020, 06:25:34 PM
We also have ~ 30 pounds of peanut butter.

30 pounds of PB = about 57 cups (citation: some Internet calculator).

At 1/4 cup of peanut butter per day, you're all set for 228 days.

clean

QuoteExcuse me please, I'm looking for The Fora.  I accidentally seem to have wandered into an episode of Doomsday Preppers.

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

As for Doomsday... There is an election soon and warnings from Trump folks, "If you have a gun, buy bullets".

Maybe peanut butter and rice stores may prove to be well advised! 

Besides, I doubt that the price per pound in such bulk is so great that it still isnt more expensive (even if there is loss or 'spoilage') then buying in smaller quantities.
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: clean on September 18, 2020, 10:36:01 AM
QuoteExcuse me please, I'm looking for The Fora.  I accidentally seem to have wandered into an episode of Doomsday Preppers.

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

As for Doomsday... There is an election soon and warnings from Trump folks, "If you have a gun, buy bullets".

Maybe peanut butter and rice stores may prove to be well advised! 

Besides, I doubt that the price per pound in such bulk is so great that it still isnt more expensive (even if there is loss or 'spoilage') then buying in smaller quantities.

I think some of the concern lies in other areas besides availability (rising prices mainly due to high demand, loss of workers, etc.).

https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/food-price-outlook/summary-findings/

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/05/business/grocery-prices-rising/index.html

the_geneticist

Here the smaller local grocery stores are very well-stocked.  In fact, they are selling steak & chicken at a discount.  The only things I've noticed as missing are name-brand cleaning wipes, Lysol spray, the big jars of yeast, and apricots (strangely).  The soup aisle is full, the pasta is stocked & there is plenty of hand-sanitizer.  The Walmart & Costco are having more supply chain issues. 

clean

A whole, large, watermelon here is now about $7.  For $6 you can get half of a melon that is half as large.  A whole melon is too big for me, but the small one, cut in half is not enough.  So I buy the large one, 'butcher it' and put it is containers.  Once I have all I want, or it starts to dry out a bit, I toss the rest.  I still end up eating far more than I would have had with the smaller, cut in half one. 

So buying in bulk can make more "cents" than buying smaller quantities more often.

(Oh, and I saw a recipe on Amy Schumer Learns to Cook where she essentially put water melon in a blender with vodka.  I may have to buy some vodka to use the rest of the melon in the fridge!!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: clean on September 18, 2020, 11:37:58 AM
A whole, large, watermelon here is now about $7.  For $6 you can get half of a melon that is half as large.  A whole melon is too big for me, but the small one, cut in half is not enough.  So I buy the large one, 'butcher it' and put it is containers.  Once I have all I want, or it starts to dry out a bit, I toss the rest.  I still end up eating far more than I would have had with the smaller, cut in half one. 

So buying in bulk can make more "cents" than buying smaller quantities more often.

(Oh, and I saw a recipe on Amy Schumer Learns to Cook where she essentially put water melon in a blender with vodka.  I may have to buy some vodka to use the rest of the melon in the fridge!!

You could make a watermelon granita!
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/watermelon-granita-recipe-1957577

hmaria1609

Although Maryland is in Phase 3, there are several counties sticking to seating restrictions in restaurants:
https://wtop.com/maryland/2020/09/counties-stick-with-restrictions-after-md-gov-hogans-new-order-allows-more-indoor-dining/
Posted on WTOP Radio online 9/18/20

spork

It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

dismalist

I have a two weeks supply of wine, but I always do. :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: spork on September 23, 2020, 03:51:25 PM
I now have two pounds of yeast.

I just have a pound. How many loaves do you think you'll get?

science.expat

Here in Aus you're required to self isolate for 14 days if you're a 'close contact' of a known case. This definition includes being in the same restaurant/pub for at least 1 hour as someone who is Covid positive.

Hence, I try to maintain at least 14 days worth of EVERYTHING, though I prioritise beer and dog food.

apl68

Planning to go to a restaurant tomorrow, but not to stay a whole hour.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

the_geneticist

AmLitHist

I got 2 jars of Fleishman's bread machine yeast this week. IMHE it keeps the longest and makes nice bread products.  The jars I got at the local WalMart (curbside pickup) have expiration dates of July 2021.  I've been watching for it off and on, and it's only now that I've seen it available around here. I'll probably get a couple more next month, if they still have it.