News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Login problems

Started by namazu, June 28, 2019, 04:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

namazu

Heads-up: the poster formerly known as merinoblue has indicated some difficulty logging in here: https://www.chronicle.com/forums/index.php/topic,264496.msg3647243.html#msg3647243

polly_mer

Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mamselle

I've notified one of the mods about this problem: a series of lines that say:

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/theforao/public_html/Sources/Load.php on line 268

...appear when I open the Fora, both on my phone and on my laptop, as well as when I post things.

Is anyone else seeing this?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

secundem_artem

Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

ab_grp

Yes, I came over here to find a thread in which to report the issue, so thanks.  And unless I'm insane (possible), I think the main page font size blew up quite a bit.  I don't know if that's related or not, but I figured I'd mention it.  Other font sizes seem as usual. 

ETA: Looks like this came up before (https://thefora.org/index.php?topic=410.msg6672#msg6672) and was a php issue that was easy to fix.  Hopefully same or similar situation.

eigen

Looks like it's an issue with 2021 and old functions in HTML being retired / no longer read by a browser. I'm knee deep in Grant reviews for the next few days and this won't be a quick fix, but I'll try to get to it when I have time.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

Langue_doc

Quote from: mamselle on January 05, 2021, 10:07:22 AM
I've notified one of the mods about this problem: a series of lines that say:

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/theforao/public_html/Sources/Load.php on line 268

...appear when I open the Fora, both on my phone and on my laptop, as well as when I post things.

Is anyone else seeing this?

M.

I'm experiencing the same problem. I thought it was my computer and just restarted it but am still seeing several lines of the following:
Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/theforao/public_html/Sources/Load.php on line 273

The line numbers keep going up, but other than that, it is the same message.

mamselle

Quote from: eigen on January 05, 2021, 10:48:51 AM
Looks like it's an issue with 2021 and old functions in HTML being retired / no longer read by a browser. I'm knee deep in Grant reviews for the next few days and this won't be a quick fix, but I'll try to get to it when I have time.

It's still legible, and as long as one knows to just keep scrolling, it doesn't prevent Fora use.

(With all I've still got to do, it might be better if it did...!)

Thanks for checking in!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

eigen

Yeah, that's why it's (lower) on my priority list right now, since it doesn't effect usability, just looks ugly. Ugly but functional... A good motto for the times.

What it probably means is that I need to backup the forum and then update the version of the forum software we're running. The current version doesn't support the (modern) php standards, but *was* working. I've been putting off upgrades because, well, who knows what might not work as expected, but this is as good of a sign as any that it needs to happen.
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

spork

A few months ago I had a similar problem -- error messages across the top of the screen -- with a Wordpress blog that I manage. The cause turned out to be a conflict between the php version and something else.

Probably not helpful, but thought I'd mention it.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

eigen

Quote from: spork on January 05, 2021, 12:14:02 PM
A few months ago I had a similar problem -- error messages across the top of the screen -- with a Wordpress blog that I manage. The cause turned out to be a conflict between the php version and something else.

Probably not helpful, but thought I'd mention it.

No, that's definitely what it is. The issue is that the forum software runs on legacy versions of PhP. Last time I checked it hadn't been stably updated.

I'm reasonably sure it has now, but I need the time to make sure there aren't going to be other issues with the upgrade, especially with some small customization to the forum code I've done (and forgotten exactly what I did).