News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Coin Shortages??

Started by clean, July 11, 2020, 12:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pepsi_alum

Just about the only coins I use today are quarters, for the coin-op washer and dryer in my apartment building. Fortunately, I already had a 3-month stash of quarters to begin with and I found a laundromat nearby that still had a functioning change machine, so I'm now good for at least the next 6 months.

I know that some laundromats are now switching to electronic card readers, but I heard an NPR interview recently with a laundromat owner who said that those machines are expensive to install and that he'd prefer to keep using coins if possible.

Treehugger

Quote from: pepsi_alum on July 28, 2020, 08:03:01 PM
Just about the only coins I use today are quarters, for the coin-op washer and dryer in my apartment building. Fortunately, I already had a 3-month stash of quarters to begin with and I found a laundromat nearby that still had a functioning change machine, so I'm now good for at least the next 6 months.

I know that some laundromats are now switching to electronic card readers, but I heard an NPR interview recently with a laundromat owner who said that those machines are expensive to install and that he'd prefer to keep using coins if possible.

The only thing we need cash for is entry into various parks and wilderness areas. Around here many only have an un-manned dropbox at the entrance where you place your $$ in their envelope  (usually between $2 and $5) No credit cards accepted, obviously. We've used credit or check for everything else since at least March.

pgher

I have two coin stories to share. First the quick one. Today I cashed in our "college fund," change accumulated for probably a decade or more. It was about half of a five-gallon bucket and weight 75 lb. The bank was very happy to get it--everything is in short supply. Amounted to $872!

About 4-5 years ago, I visited the state capitol with my son. I parked at a meter, then realized I had removed all the change from my car. I managed to find a nickel, which I hoped would get me enough time to find some change. Just inside the building, there were some vending machines, and a change machine. I put in a dollar bill, and got "change": a Sacagawea dollar coin. WTF. Of course the meter wouldn't take it. So I went up to the museum part of the building (which was why we were there). They have an explicit policy of not making change. So I bought a postcard, which I still have, just to get some change to plug the meter. Since then, I keep a little ziploc bag of change in the car, just in case.

dismalist

Quote from: pgher on July 31, 2020, 05:23:23 PM
I have two coin stories to share. First the quick one. Today I cashed in our "college fund," change accumulated for probably a decade or more. It was about half of a five-gallon bucket and weight 75 lb. The bank was very happy to get it--everything is in short supply. Amounted to $872!

About 4-5 years ago, I visited the state capitol with my son. I parked at a meter, then realized I had removed all the change from my car. I managed to find a nickel, which I hoped would get me enough time to find some change. Just inside the building, there were some vending machines, and a change machine. I put in a dollar bill, and got "change": a Sacagawea dollar coin. WTF. Of course the meter wouldn't take it. So I went up to the museum part of the building (which was why we were there). They have an explicit policy of not making change. So I bought a postcard, which I still have, just to get some change to plug the meter. Since then, I keep a little ziploc bag of change in the car, just in case.

Flexible exchange rates between coins and currency would take care of this problem! :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli