News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Sounds as though everyone has made a lot of progress with the puzzles. I know that I made it to above genius this morning, but haven't had a chance to look at any of the puzzles since then. I had to go to the grocery store (I save this for Friday mornings) which always leaves me exhausted.

Hope you have recovered, cathwen, and that your symptoms are mild, ab_grp. I was fine for 24 hours after the shot, and then got all the flu-related symptoms including a high temperature.

ab_grp

Hope you can recover from your grocery trip, Langue_doc.  And thanks for mentioning the delay in the some of the worse side effects! I have just been going back and forth between extremely worn out (but not bedridden) and more alert, but still feeling tired and like my skin hurts, and I am chilly.  I guess we'll see what transpires.  In any case, if you do get a chance, I hope the puzzles are enjoyable and help with your recovery.

I finally staggered across the line to QB.  It wasn't a pure one, because I knew what it started with and the number of letters (and it was still hard to figure out, for some reason), but fine enough.

Langue_doc

Good morning! Made it to QB last night. Still don't know how I found the pangram, which was my last word.

Genius today, with one pangram. Just completed the vertex. Crosswords and sudokus were done last night.

LB: friendly/youth

Happy solving, all.

cathwen

Good morning! 

Langue_doc, congratulations on QB!  I never got beyond Beta.  I'm still kicking myself for missing marinara.  Not that it was the only one I missed!  Oddly, I got the pangram early on, playing with 'mid-' plus other words on the list, but I thought it was weird. When does anyone ever use the term 'midbrain'? 

And congratulations on QB to you, too, ab_grp!  I hope you're feeling okay today.

I also got friendly-youth yesterday, which was the schmofficial solution.

I'm at amazing on today's SB, and no solution yet for LB!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB was odd yesterday - midbrain? Really? But it would not take birdman. Okay then.

LB: thou-unfriendly. I like Langue-doc's better.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Art thou a friendly or unfriendly youth?

Langue_doc

I kept trying birdman. Obviously the young'uns at the NYT aren't familiar with the Alcatraz lore.

How about an uncouth youth?

ab_grp

Good morning!

Thanks! Doing much better today after a mild fever yesterday afternoon/evening.  A bath and a fair bit of sweating overnight seemed to help.  Hopefully that's it.  And cathwen, I hope you are fully out of it now?

My final bee word yesterday was midrib, which I guess I should have tried after eventually getting the pangram.  Ciao_yall, I also tried birdman! And congrats on the QB, Langue_doc!

I got a different LB solution yesterday, unfelt-thyroid.  Maybe I can get another one today, but I am less optimistic if cathwen has not found one yet.

Almost to Alpha today (235), but lots of beekeeping.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Genius with pangram.

3fers but no 2fer yet.

ab_grp

Good luck, ciao_yall! I have a bunch of contenders, but no 2fer yet.  I am again one word away from QB. 

cathwen

I've gotten to Beta on SB, but still no solution to LB!  Argh!

Ab_grp, good luck getting to QB!  And glad you're feeling better.

Parasaurolophus

Struggled a titch at the end, but made it to genius with a pangram.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

I think I'm somewhere near Alpha. Not sure if I'll get any further as I'm struggling with tomorrow's crossword.

ab_grp, glad to hear that you're feeling better.

Looks like everyone has the pangram and made it to genius. I found a couple of nice long words for LB, but can't recall them as I didn't bother to write them down.

ciao_yall

Yeah I tipped into genius with an alternate spelling of a word.

LB - a few 3fers. No 2fer. May cruise over to the online solver. LMK if you want a hint.

cathwen

Good morning, everyone!

Did no one get a solution to yesterday's LB?  I didn't, either.  I did not see meadowland, although I did see divulge.  Oh well!  I did find a 2fer today, though.

I did not progress beyond Beta yesterday in SB.  Today, I am at amazing with one pangram.  Apparently there are two! 

Happy puzzling!